Airfix 1/72 Blenheim Mk.1 57 Sqn.

Bristol Blenheim Mk.1

L 1145, 57 Sqn, 1 Gp RAF Bomber Command

Shot down by a Bf109 near Bad Kreuznach whilst carrying out reconnaissance over the Siegfried Line.

Kit: Airfix 1/72

Paints: Tamiya and Vallajo MA

Decals : Extradecal

Extras: Scratch built turret interior, Airwaves seat belts and Barracuda exhausts and air filters.

WIP: HERE

20160405_131921_zpsg9kvx14f.jpg

20160405_131940_zps93yplcoz.jpg

20160405_131953_zps2xj85qqd.jpg

20160405_132009_zps3h4n3x6e.jpg

20160405_132028_zps0x44yaag.jpg

• Like 43

That's a really nicely done Blenheim, I didn't even realise this kit was available. 1/72 seat belts must have been labour intensive but the photos do show it was not wasted effort!

• Like 1

Superb job, beautifully done, you should be very pleased. Nice restraint with the airbrush on the overspray, looks just right. Too many times there have been large oversprays, making the aircraft look like a freehand art piece (lost for words). RAF painting was done to the spec, and if not, then the Sergeant is looking for you!

• Like 1

Looked nicer in the flesh a few weeks back.

Beautiful result, especially after all your troubles with it.

Aye. Photography isn't my strong point. I think it's a pretty solid 30cm model (ie, it looks best from that distance) macro photography tends to show up all the foibles, especially where me and Tamiya haven't quite worked out our differences yet. It's orange peel hell on much of the model.

That's a really nicely done Blenheim, I didn't even realise this kit was available. 1/72 seat belts must have been labour intensive but the photos do show it was not wasted effort!

Cheers. Been out since 2014 I believe, this is one of the first batch. Seat belts weren't too bad as they were just two piece (well, technically I should have added the quick release handle but...nah). They're actually Hurricane seat belts but shhh I won't tell if you don't ;)

Superb job, beautifully done, you should be very pleased. Nice restraint with the airbrush on the overspray, looks just right. Too many times there have been large oversprays, making the aircraft look like a freehand art piece (lost for words). RAF painting was done to the spec, and if not, then the Sergeant is looking for you!

Thanks. For the camo I used Blu-Tak (other brands are available) sausages. I pressed them down a little so I got a little bit of feathering but still kept a mostly hard line. I'll try using white tack in the future though as cleaning the stuff off was a nightmare in places.

Hi Paul. Well, despite the build problems, that turned out beautifully! As others have said; the paintwork/camo looks excellent. Very well done!! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

A wonderful Blenheim!!

So clean and so realistic.

I first thought that was 1/48th scale.

Fantastic job!!!

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Congratulations. Polo.

Thanks Polo.

Excellent build and finish !! Like the slightly feathered camo. Do you have any pics of the underside ??

I'm building (started) a Mk I and Mk IV. Hope they come out half as nice as yours has.

David.

Cheers David. Just for you:

2016-04-06%2014.54.33_zpsod2wveq8.jpg

See why I didn't show it before? Silvered decals, bomb bay battered in to submission and a seam line that just kept coming back.

very ice well done

Glenn.

Thanks Glenn.

Hi Paul. Well, despite the build problems, that turned out beautifully! As others have said; the paintwork/camo looks excellent. Very well done!! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix. Quite pleased with it as a first attempt. Will do better next time.

• Like 3

I so wish they would do a 4th version....cracking build

Cheers. :)

Classic Airframes do a Mk. I, IV & V I believe, if you weren't aware of course. If considered doing one but I struggled with this one, I'm not sure my blood pressure can handle a CA kit.

See why I didn't show it before? Silvered decals, bomb bay battered in to submission and a seam line that just kept coming back.

Thanks for that. Looks pretty good to me. Irritating how some seem lines do not take a hint and make like a tree.

Like the top, a good spray job.

• Like 1

Great stuff

I made one of these last year so can understand your sudden rise in blood pressure. Once battered into submission it does make into a nice kit.

Well done

James

• Like 2

Thanks for that. Looks pretty good to me. Irritating how some seem lines do not take a hint and make like a tree.

Like the top, a good spray job.

No. Didn't seem (hurr) to matter what I did so I decided to just live with it.

Excellent job!

Cheers

Cheers Carius.

Great stuff

I made one of these last year so can understand your sudden rise in blood pressure. Once battered into submission it does make into a nice kit.

Well done

James

Thanks James. I quite want to build the Mk. IV but I'm not sure if I hate myself enough. Definitely won't be scratching undercarriage interiors and turrets if I do!

Very nice model :)

Thanks Val.

• Like 1

Yep, that'll do! I like that very much.

Well done,

Matt

• Like 1

Yep, that'll do! I like that very much.

Well done,

Matt

Thanks Matt. I managed to pick up a Bronze for it at Sword and Lance in Darlington yesterday, not that that's particularly hard to achieve but nice none the less.

• Like 2

..congratulations! ..it really does look superb. Was gonna post pics of my two but now I'm not so sure. Since I had a good moan about this kit on just about every Blenheim thread here perhaps I ought to really.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

..congratulations! ..it really does look superb. Was gonna post pics of my two but now I'm not so sure. Since I had a good moan about this kit on just about every Blenheim thread here perhaps I ought to really.

Aye you should. Get your Blenheims out for the lads etc.