Revell Focke-Wulf Fw 190 F-8 1/32

Afternoon chaps,

Heres my take on Revell's excellent new tool Fw 190 F-8, built OOB with kit decals and painted with Xtracrylix, it goes together brilliantly, detail is nothing short of spectacular for a kit that cost me £20 and most importantly, it looks like an Fw 190 :banghead:

Might have to get another one of these and do a different scheme...

IMAG0011_zpsz6whvuth.jpg

IMAG0017_zpstd9hlusn.jpg

IMAG0020_zpsmffjlz9c.jpg

IMAG0022_zpsvjmadkkj.jpg

IMAG0027_zpsjj6bbwqd.jpg

IMAG0028_zpsbyq6ofjn.jpg

IMAG0032_zpsu1k8avj6.jpg

IMAG0037_zps2vr4ewyl.jpg

IMAG0039_zps1kqx0xqe.jpg

IMAG0041_zpsk2ioygua.jpg

IMAG0026_zps0tuclrja.jpg

• Like 31

Afternoon chaps,

Heres my take on Revell's excellent new tool Fw 190 F-8, built OOB with kit decals and painted with Xtracrylix, it goes together brilliantly, detail is nothing short of spectacular for a kit that cost me £20 and most importantly, it looks like an Fw 190 :banghead:

Might have to get another one of these and do a different scheme...

Nice paint job there mate.

But do you guys get paid for saying stuff like that about Revell models? (see bold)

I mean the kits are pretty cheap and some are acceptable for that, but seriously none of the above attributes really affiliate to Revell products :D

(unless maybe they are Hasegawa reboxes or rare exceptions)

Thanks for the kind words guys, always nice to know that hard work is appreciated :winkgrin:

That does look very nice indeed!! Well done and I also agree with you, get another one

Rob

Ordered another off of ebay tonight Rob, just got to find some interesting decals to go with it now.

Lovely build, realistic finish. I may have to get one to replace the ageing Hasegawa 190 in my collection.

Only hope I can match your finish!.

Could be a good plan Don, its a serious bargain this kit!

Awesome job, the exhaust and staining are some of the best I've seen so far.

Thanks racer53, that was the hardest part of the build to be fair but the part that i have the least experience in. Now i appreciate just how hard it can be to use pigments properly lol

Nice paint job there mate.

But do you guys get paid for saying stuff like that about Revell models? (see bold)

I mean the kits are pretty cheap and some are acceptable for that, but seriously none of the above attributes really affiliate to Revell products :D

(unless maybe they are Hasegawa reboxes or rare exceptions)

Sounds like someone who has no experience of the new tool Revell kits, or someone who hasn't built a good one. The fact that its 1/3rd the price of the Hasegawa kit and equally as good says more about Hasegawa than it does about Revell to be fair, and as an owner of a Hasegawa Fw 190, I'd prefer it if they start reboxing new Revell kits and save us a few quid in the process. :mental:

No experience? I'v build it, and it's bad. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing your build or your paint job. I like that. I'm bashing the kit.

And I can see all the flaws I encountered in your own pictures that's what I wonder how you could call it a superbly excellent kit.

IMG_1323_zps3oeeatwn.jpg

thats from a wip, was not finished at that point.

Edited by philtn

No experience? I'v build it, and it's bad. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing your build or your paint job. I like that. I'm bashing the kit.

And I can see all the flaws I encountered in your own pictures that's what I wonder how you could call it a superbly excellent kit.

Everything fits together well, no filler needed, no flash, no nasty ejector pin marks, plenty of detail, accurate in shape and dimensions, decals are great and go on without any problems and you can pick it up for less than £30. I fail to see how any of those things would make it a bad kit tbh. Each to their own i suppose. I happen to have the Hasegawa A-8 and its no better than the Revell kit.

To be fair, I've seen you commenting on other Revell builds and its quite clear you're not a fan as you bash them too. I'm surprised you bought this kit seeing as you dislike Revell so much? Guess you wont be buying anymore though! lol

That's right, that wasn't the only kit I have had problems with. With the 190 specifically I had huge wing root gaps (I can see one on your starboard side at least either), my windshield (which seems to fit o.k. on your kit) is hanging over at least 1mm on the port side (you can not see it in this picture), I had huge trouble getting the cowlings aligned as I did not want to display them in open position and - well - in general the plastic was very brittle and wavy (like when you inject the melted plastic too slow or at too low temperatures). Plus some unclean parts with actual "scars" in the plastic. Not to mention, I had to re-order the clear sprue as the revi sight was just a chunk of plastic.

Granted, maybe I have always had one of the bad-badge kits. Pricing policy is really unbeatable and the decals, "printed in Italy" always perform flawlessly. But you are right, not really buying any Revell kits anytime soon and always wondering why people praise them so much. I wonder if it is because they are so cheap and you really get something for that kind of money.

There are exceptions though (Rafale in 48, Ju-52 in quarter scale and some others are good models).

Edited by philtn

That's right, that wasn't the only kit I have had problems with. With the 190 specifically I had huge wing root gaps (I can see one on your starboard side at least either), my windshield (which seems to fit o.k. on your kit) is hanging over at least 1mm on the port side (you can not see it in this picture), I had huge trouble getting the cowlings aligned as I did not want to display them in open position and - well - in general the plastic was very brittle and wavy (like when you inject the melted plastic too slow or at too low temperatures). Plus some unclean parts with actual "scars" in the plastic. Not to mention, I had to re-order the clear sprue as the revi sight was just a chunk of plastic.

Granted, maybe I have always had one of the bad-badge kits. Pricing policy is really unbeatable and the decals, "printed in Italy" always perform flawlessly. But you are right, not really buying any Revell kits anytime soon and always wondering why people praise them so much. I wonder if it is because they are so cheap and you really get something for that kind of money.

There are exceptions though (Rafale in 48, Ju-52 in quarter scale and some others are good models).

I think the only real problem i had with the kit was that the gun cover didn't fit on the nose very well, but that only took 10 minutes with a sanding sponge to put right, other than that, it was a pleasure to build and gave me no grief. I have only ever had one dodgy Revell kit and that was the 1/72 Stuka which is an absolute PIG of a kit, so much so that its been sitting in its box, part made under my desk for the best part of a year now. Don't see much chance of that one ever being finished... Back in October, i made the 1/72 Heinkel He 177 A-6 and that's one of the best kits I've ever made. But, like you said, i think the main thing with Revell kits is that what you get for your money is an awful lot compared to other manufacturers, and they really do turn out some brilliant kits every now and then, i certainly have no problems with them.

Now if you'd said Italeri... that's a whole different story lol.. I don't think I've EVER seen a good Italeri kit before. Not a big fan if Airfix either to be honest. Shame, as my next build is 3 x 1/48 Airfix TSR.2's which i have a feeling are going to be a massive pain in the bottom.

Great model of a great kit!

Built one myself, lovely looking 190 :)

I have to say, very impressive for the money that's for sure. Did you post pics of yours on here? I'll have a look if you did :)

uh oh..........think I want one!

DO IT! you'll only regret it if you dont lol

• Like 1

You are quite right. Until Revell stop using those entirely useless boxes, I for one will be buying no more of their totally rubbish, over priced, poorly researched, badly fitting & inaccurate products. Quite impossible to create properly organised piles of their kits in the stash when the bottom box implodes. This means that Revell kits always end up on TOP of the to do pile. Cynical manipulation of the modelling community I call it. I'll stick to Trumpeter from now on. Now where's that £30.00 1/48 DH Hornet, my knife, wet & dry paper & accurate plans?

• Like 2

You are quite right. Until Revell stop using those entirely useless boxes, I for one will be buying no more of their totally rubbish, over priced, poorly researched, badly fitting & inaccurate products. Quite impossible to create properly organised piles of their kits in the stash when the bottom box implodes. This means that Revell kits always end up on TOP of the to do pile. Cynical manipulation of the modelling community I call it. I'll stick to Trumpeter from now on. Now where's that £30.00 1/48 DH Hornet, my knife, wet & dry paper & accurate plans?

Fair play, that REALLY made me laugh :yahoo: