Sci fi mining vehicle 1:32

Hello, currently I am scratchbuilding/kitbashing a sci fi mining vehicle that is supposed to be used on foreign planets to harvest precious minerals and alike. This vehicle is supposed to be a drilling machine, similar to those already used today in mines. I had some tank tracks from some german tank (Pz.Kpfw.35t) left over I had bought as donor kit and decided to use them on the driving section of the vehicle. The tank itself was too narrow so I only used the sides with the tracks and built up the middle section inbetween from styrene sheet, some structured sheet and parts of the upper tank hull that had the hole for the rotating turret.

I also used some mudguards from another tank donor kit and some containers from little truck models. For the upper rotating section that will house the driving compartment and the drill itself I used the upper part of another tank flipped over. The containers were the first thing I had built ( or rather detalied up ) and I tried out some color schemes on them to see how looked painted up.

I do regret I didn't take more pics before it was at this stage.

wp_20160315_21_34_22_6zuko.jpg

wp_20160315_21_37_51_8tuwr.jpg

wp_20160315_22_24_23_9hunh.jpg

These are the containers:

wp_20160315_22_25_06_9uuhn.jpg

I continued by adding some protective side skirts to the tracks and building up the upper section a bit more. The rear part of the base was supposed to hold one of the containers or maybe several different ones, so I build a support structure that would ft them nicely. Since the containers are all from trucks at the same small scale, they are all equally broad, even if the length varies. So I would be able to accomodate different containers in the end. Also added a few smaller details like a shovels and a pickaxe.wp_20160321_14_04_30_0iuv6.jpg

wp_20160321_14_04_56_pzual.jpg

wp_20160321_14_05_26_9kuah.jpg

Once I had the lower portion of the vehicle finished however, I couldn't resist to start painting it up. So first I primed in light grey and did some preshading ( here it's only on one side )

wp_20160321_15_13_34_c0uhw.jpg

Next up I sprayed the base color on it, I think I used Vallejo model color golden yellow.

wp_20160321_18_01_36_tyuai.jpg

Then I added the first wash with smokey ink to have the details popping up a bit more. Also started to add a few decals I had leftover from the Jetbike at this point.

wp_20160322_00_29_18_4buyy.jpg

Next up was some color modulation and zenital light wit a slightly lighter and desaturated yellow tone.

wp_20160322_00_29_59_o8ua5.jpg

wp_20160322_00_29_41_e5uzd.jpgwp_20160322_00_31_07_anult.jpg

Then it was time for some scratches, all painted by brush ,here only on one side.

wp_20160322_14_10_45_o5sxe.jpg

wp_20160322_14_10_53_rfslf.jpg

wp_20160322_14_11_35_fgswa.jpg

After I was done with the scratches all over the vehicle, I added a light wash of light grey in certain areas as dirt. The plow in the front also got some serious scratches and a bunch of dirt. I also added a little bit of rust, but I wanted to keep it decent and not like the green container shown above that had come out way too rusty for a machine that is supposed to be still in use.

wp_20160322_20_54_40_tjsd7.jpgwp_20160322_20_54_51_ags25.jpg

wp_20160322_20_55_07_lysaa.jpgwp_20160322_20_55_27_1ksna.jpg

After that I added a filter from treu earth called Worn Patina 1 over the whole model for some drit and water streaks, then I put some pigments on the tracks and on the areas where the driver would walk on the vehicle the most and of course on the plow in the front.

wp_20160323_18_25_27_kgslp.jpgwp_20160323_18_25_44_r1szh.jpgwp_20160323_18_26_18_qas6m.jpg

I liked the paint scheme so far and decided to keep it like that and paint the upper part the same way once I am finished building it.

Currently I am at this stage:

wp_20160331_15_56_44_n2sax.jpg

wp_20160331_15_56_56_4os21.jpg

wp_20160331_15_57_18_yps8e.jpg

wp_20160331_15_58_00_xvs7r.jpg

I plan to add a 3D printed tricone drillbit and close the cabin around the seat I have in there right now. The seat is a leftover from the Jetbike I built for wildhouse models, I had an extra seat to sculpt the pilot in and making sure he fits nicely. Since it has no other use like that I decided to incorporate it into the vehicle as it is quite a low seat and the vehicle itself is supposed not to be too tall as it has to fit the tunnels in the end.

Cheers and thanks for taking a look. I'll post an update as soon as I have the drillbit.

• Like 18

Looking very nicely industrial. Where are you going to set it when it's done?

(I ask because I think red Martian dust would look cool on the dirty yellow...)

Will

Thanks and glad you like it guys.

@Will Vale:

Not sure yet, as I don't know how many other things I'll add to the mining rig itself. Was thinking about also building a vehicle that transports the miners through the corridors of the mines ( see pic below ) and some other smaller techy things, like a small portable generator, maybe some elevator shaft or alike too and I guess I'll probably also have to sculpt a few miners to go with it at some point. The dust I added on the vehicle is light grey, so it won't be martian floor and rather some rocky saltmine like thing, this however I will build at the very end, once I am done with the vehicles and figures and whatnot. Maybe I'll leave the second vehicle and elevator out completely. Haven't decided yet and it depends a bit on how much I like this vehicle once it's done.

Transport thingy:

growler2_0.jpg?itok=lT1bI5My

Actual vehicle, not a model ( yet? )

Edited by matiwashere

Fantastic work, mate. Yellow is always a total pain; you've really carried it off there. Great to watch it all coming together, can't wait for the next stage! :)

Thanks for the nice comments!

I have been sculpting on and off on the drill bit and today I finally got around to get it finished. Took forever and I didn't enjoy it much tbh, but hey it's done! Only the screwy bit at the rear is not a real screw but just lines instead, was easier and way faster to do and since this part will be hidden inside a tube anyway, I opted not to do a propper screwing end. Will continue this build once the parts have been printed.

triconehgus3.jpg

Cheers and thx for taking a look!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, got around to assebmle and prime one of the drills, didn't have much time really, so only a little update.

drillbitzxsyx.jpg

drillbit2lmj04.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic quality, only had the phone available. It did fit nicely and with just tiny drops of superglue it stays firmly together.

More to come soon I hope. Cheers!

• Like 5

Looks good, shades of Benny's drill in Total Recall :)

Incidentally if anyone else is looking to make this kind of thing, I noticed that Hawk Wargames have some useful resin in their Resistance range:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/model-109-breaching-drill

Cheers,

Will