1/72 - Northrop YC-125 Raider resin kit by Anigrand - released

Homebee

It was actually going after the same sort of roles the An-2 was designed for. The Raider's STOL performance was quite good. It just happened to come out when there was a glut of cheaply available transport aircraft. And then came helicopters which had even better STOL performance, albeit without the same load capacity as the C-125s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the few remaining YC-125s is on display at the USAF Museum in Dayton. If any of you guys get this and need reference photos, let me know.

• 2 months later...

When I was in high school in Wichita Falls, Texas, in the early 1960s, a friend of mine and I came across three of these odd-looking machines at the Wichita Falls Airport, which shares runways with Sheppard AFB. They had been used as USAF maintenance trainers at Sheppard, but were no longer needed and had been sold as surplus, hauled across the airport, and dumped behind a civilian hangar waiting for the buyer to collect them. They had been stripped of radios and instruments, but still had their engines, stored inside the fuselages. We were told they had all been purchased by an entrepreneur who was going to restore them to flyable condition and take them to Central/South America for use as aerial freighters. They eventually disappeared from the airport property, but I never learned their fate.