Airfix 1/72 Halifax BIII

Hi all,

Following on from my Wellington I've had another go at one of Airfix's classic bombers, this time it was a new boxing of the old Halifax kit.

Built OOB apart from a bit of scratch detail in the cockpit which of course you can see anyway lol

Markings are of 78 Squadron based at RAF Breighton, Yorkshire 1944.

Not a showstopper but an enjoyable build - next up will either be a Stirling or a new tool Lanc i've got in the stash!

Cheers

Simon

HALIFAX-01.jpg

HALIFAX-02.jpg

HALIFAX-03.jpg

HALIFAX-04.jpg

• Like 49

Thanks for all the kind words guys, theres something rewarding (& nostalgic) about building these old Airfix kits and despite fit some issues it was great fun!!

I'll see if I can get some more useable pics up PLC1966!

Cheers

Simon

Beautiful. I built one of these over two decades ago when I was about 8. I'd like to think I'd make even half as good a job as you have now with my current skills.

Your Wellington looks great too, I've always had more of a soft spot for the twin-engined medium bombers :)

• Like 1

I know there are a lot of people continually bemoaning the fact that Airfix (and others) continue producing such admittedly ancient models. Some of course are utterly beyond redemption (the dreadful DH-88 for example) but, I actually get a lot more fun out of those old kits than I do with many brand new releases. Simon has proved that even a kit as old as this can be built into a very nice model. I still have an Airfix Halifax. I actually have a new Revell Halifax BIII but, I am not binning the Airfix kit. Instead, I intend to combine it with parts from a Revell Halifax BI to produce a more detailed model. The BI model was severely damaged in an encounter with a Nacht Moggy Mk I which regularly prowls my flat in the hours of darkness!! :lol: . I have broken it up for parts (not the moggy!!! :lol: ). I know it is doing things the hard way but, I don't believe in wasting anything! Nice job Simon.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

That's really nice. If I had the space I'd build a few Bomber Command 'heavies' myself.

Can I ask, what paints did you use for the dark earth and green?

Ian

Once again thanks to everybody who's contributed to this thread, your feedback is brilliant!

Beautiful. I built one of these over two decades ago when I was about 8. I'd like to think I'd make even half as good a job as you have now with my current skills.

Your Wellington looks great too, I've always had more of a soft spot for the twin-engined medium bombers :)

I hink I first did this kit around 1980 - was 14!! Wheres the time gone!

I know there are a lot of people continually bemoaning the fact that Airfix (and others) continue producing such admittedly ancient models. Some of course are utterly beyond redemption (the dreadful DH-88 for example) but, I actually get a lot more fun out of those old kits than I do with many brand new releases. Simon has proved that even a kit as old as this can be built into a very nice model. I still have an Airfix Halifax. I actually have a new Revell Halifax BIII but, I am not binning the Airfix kit. Instead, I intend to combine it with parts from a Revell Halifax BI to produce a more detailed model. The BI model was severely damaged in an encounter with a Nacht Moggy Mk I which regularly prowls my flat in the hours of darkness!! :lol: . I have broken it up for parts (not the moggy!!! :lol: ). I know it is doing things the hard way but, I don't believe in wasting anything! Nice job Simon.

Allan

Thanks Allan! I know what you mean though, I picked up a new tool Lanc in the Airfix sale and was scared to death by the amount of plastic in the box! I'm not really into the building process, much prefer the painting - these old kits can be uncomplicated to build and provide a nice blank canvas for the airbrush to do its magic.

Good luck with your conversion/restoration!

That's really nice. If I had the space I'd build a few Bomber Command 'heavies' myself.

Can I ask, what paints did you use for the dark earth and green?

Ian

Thanks Ian, yes, space is bit of an issue for me as well, don't think the Mrs would let me hang them from the bedroom ceiling lol

I used Revell Aquacolour - Dark Earth / Bronze Green and Tar Black for the u/s - I find the Revell aquas airbrush very nicely.

cheers

Simon

• Like 1