Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVIe TD240, 302 Sqn (Polish), Germany 1945.

Hi everyone.

My Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVIe built as TD240, 302 Sqn (Polish) Germany 1945.

I used the rather brilliant after market sets from Barracuda, with additional detail added using Airscale decal sets.

I did a little scratch building in the cockpit by adding wires and valves as well as adding some more detail to the engine. Those eagle eyed amongst you will see that I added Rolls Royce rocker cover logos, I know that these are wrong as the motor was built under licence by Packard,but it was too late to try and remove them.

The kit was painted with Tamiya acrylics with all the roundels, fin flashes and codes being painted using Montex masks and she was weathered using Tamiya weathering sets, pastels and oil washes. Sorry about the rubbish photos,I'll try and take some better ones out side if the weather ever improves! The WIP can be found here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981952-tamiya-132-spitfire-mk-xvie-finished-4-april/

P1030526_zps3xrmvss9.jpg

P1030532_zpswjevagcd.jpg

P1030541_zpss9iakk3c.jpg

P1030542_zpsqiib85ne.jpg

P1030527_zpscer5ld2c.jpg

P1030528_zpssmte2lrr.jpg

P1030529_zpsm0cut59h.jpg

P1030530_zpsfkjin42t.jpg

P1030531_zpscn1kjgrm.jpg

P1030534_zpssgwosqmo.jpg

P1030535_zpspgya0uc2.jpg

P1030536_zpsjhoknrkf.jpg

P1030540_zps4ilho8pv.jpg

P1030543_zpst4je20kc.jpg

Thanks for all of the encouragement and here's til next time.

Iain

• Like 27

Very nice indeed Iain, you've done a great job there!! :coolio: :coolio: :thumbsup:

I was wondering about your copper coolant pipes on the engine? Is that real copper wire you've used or is it painted as it looks very effective the way you've done it? If painted what paint did you use if I may ask?

Lovely job sir and love all the extra detail you've added here - well done on a great job!! :Tasty: :clap2:

BTW - I am in the process of building Tamiya's 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc, in the markings of Wg Cdr J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson. It was started on another forum (which I've now left) and has been on a back burner for a while so I was thinking of maybe posting a WIP thread on here when I restart it if anybody's interested?

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 3

Very nice indeed Iain, you've done a great job there!! :coolio: :coolio: :thumbsup:

I was wondering about your copper coolant pipes on the engine? Is that real copper wire you've used or is it painted as it looks very effective the way you've done it? If painted what paint did you use if I may ask?

Lovely job sir and love all the extra detail you've added here - well done on a great job!! :Tasty: :clap2:

BTW - I am in the process of building Tamiya's 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc, in the markings of Wg Cdr J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson. It was started on another forum (which I've now left) and has been on a back burner for a while so I was thinking of maybe posting a WIP thread on here when I restart it if anybody's interested?

Hi Kev

Thanks for the kind words mate, its taken me longer than I would've liked but I have enjoyed every minute of it.

No the copper piping is stock to the kit I only painted it in Mr Color 215.

'BTW - I am in the process of building Tamiya's 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc, in the markings of Wg Cdr J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson. It was started on another forum (which I've now left) and has been on a back burner for a while so I was thinking of maybe posting a WIP thread on here when I restart it if anybody's interested?'
And that would be a resounding YES from me!
Cheers
Iain
  • Like 1

Wow , Wow , and treble Wow , that's a fine job :mike: One observation tho , the small covers on the wings are only up when the flaps are

in the down position , did you intend to drop the flaps ?

Hi Keith

Bugger! No I never had any intention to lower the flaps!I thought they were a visual aid for the pilot to let him know what state the undercart was in!

Fantastic and beautifully modelled. A great addition to your collection... A piece to be admired... Thank you for showing your work...

Hey Grey Beema, thanks mate really appreciated!

:wow: That is so impressive! Beautiful work as always Iain. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Hi Stix as ever thank you mate.

That is just lovely. :goodjob:

Hey Jenko, thanks very much!

Even better in the sunlight. I will be using your WIP when I get around to my BIG spit. Brilliant work, totally blown away. :D

Thanks mate and please feel free to use whatever you like from my WIP. Oh and to answer your previous question I'm diving straight into my Halifax build

Iain

Spitfire AND Kernow in one pic- fab! That's a fantastic Spitfire- the engine and cockpit look great and all your extra work has really paid off. I particularly like the worn paint at the wing roots- looks very convincing. :goodjob: Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

Superbly done

Cheers mate!

Beautiful work, love the detail

Thanks appreciate it!

Two big thumbs up buddy, very noice.

Regards,

Hey Kent, thanks mate - well wheres yours?

That is a fine example sir, well done indeed.

Tar very much!

Spitfire AND Kernow in one pic- fab! That's a fantastic Spitfire- the engine and cockpit look great and all your extra work has really paid off. I particularly like the worn paint at the wing roots- looks very convincing. :goodjob: Cheers, Dave

Ha I know what more could we possibly want? And its even sunny (for now)

Outstanding work Iain,superb paint and weathering along with all that detail puts it firmly in the museum quality category :thumbsup:

Hey Steve

Thanks mate your comments are really appreciated.

A big thank you to everyone for taking the time to have a look at my Spit and all of your comments are truly appreciated.

Kindest regards

Iain

Hi Kev

Thanks for the kind words mate, its taken me longer than I would've liked but I have enjoyed every minute of it.

No the copper piping is stock to the kit I only painted it in Mr Color 215.

'BTW - I am in the process of building Tamiya's 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc, in the markings of Wg Cdr J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson. It was started on another forum (which I've now left) and has been on a back burner for a while so I was thinking of maybe posting a WIP thread on here when I restart it if anybody's interested?'
And that would be a resounding YES from me!
Cheers
Iain

Hello Iain,

Just thought that as you were so keen on my suggestion, that I'd let you know that I've started my WIP for my Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire Mk.IXc?

You'll find it here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000433-tamiya-132-supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-a-tribute-to-wg-cdr-je-johnnie-johnson/#entry2319646

Thanks for the interest, hope you like it?!

• Like 1