Tokyo '46 - 1/72 Ki-49 & Kayaba Ku-4 Parasite Fighter

Hello all,

Here's my latest finished work. It's Meng's Kayaba Ku-4 parasite fighter carried by a Hasegawa Ki-49. Both kits were great builds, though the Mens decals and Hasegawa canopy fit were both less than ideal.

The Kayaba Ku-4 was originally a glider prototype from 1940 that was resurrected to an experimental ramjet/rocket fighter airplane. It was to carry two 30 mm cannons with less than 100 rounds total. After making passes at B-29s, it was to glide back to an airstrip. Sort of an even more rudimentary Me-163.

The Ku-4 is finished with Tamiya rattlecan, while the Ki-49 is a rattlecan base with Vallejo acrylics on top.

Enjoy!

OUIDWfj.jpg

PiTLCqT.jpg

ryTH2Zo.jpg

6rfOYgv.jpg

lM0PJ3r.jpg

• Like 17

Kayaba intended the Ku-4's trapeze to be retracted into the bomb bay, as the fuselage was narrow enough to fit in most bombers. To my knowledge, no such trapeze was ever designed before the project was cancelled in late 1944.

It is interesting to observe reactions to this model. It looks like the wast majority of modellers have very,conventional prefferences;-)

I love Hasegawa twins, especially japanese bombers. Donryu itself is a rare sight in plastic and the little parasite fighter is totally SciFi.

So, congratulations on your splendid creation!

Josip

• Like 1