Where Can I Find This Part?

Crossiant Oliver

Recently I got the old Frog 1/72 Vultee Vengeance set from my local hobby store. I brought it to our second house in Palm Desert (We live in Los Angeles but go there every time my school has a 3-day weekend) to build there and paint at home. Somehow on the ride there one of the propeller blades fell off and I have not been able to find it. Do you guys know where I can find a replacement Vultee Vengeance propeller? From searching it up I found some people that have replacements like Ozmods and Pete's hangar, but Ozmods has a 1/48 version of it (looking for 1/72) and Pete's hangar doesn't have it. Does anyone else know where I can find a 1/72 Vultee Vengeance propeller? Comments would be nice/

Until someone gives more exact info on the prop;

It looks like a paddle blade Hamilton Standard as used on CV Corsair F4U-1 and some B-17s. So if you can get one from a kit of either of those you'll not be too far off.

After having a wee cruise thru the googlesphere, I'm pretty certain that Black Knight is correct, the Vengeance turned a Hamilton Standard prop, very like in fact the one on a Grumman Avenger, not surprising since they both had a Wright R-2600 motor. An outfit called Pete's hanger listed a correction set of cowl & prop or seperate white metal prop for the Frog kit, probably hard to find now, but stated as a 12' diameter. Try John Adams (Aeroclub) on here or maybe Quickboost do one or someone has a spare Avenger prop in their spares box. :)

Steve.

If you have some plasticine/modelling clay you could try making mould and casting a replacement from epoxy glue using an impression of one of the other blades? You might even be able to integrate the rest of the prop into the mould (maybe with a hole drilled where the blade will attach?) and cast the epoxy blade straight onto the remainder of the prop?

• 3 years later...

Hi all

Ā 

I'm literally in the same boat with this kit - except for me it's the wheels. I've lost one half of a wheel and to be fair they're not the best looking - was thinking of replacing them but can't work out which will be best fit as there are no aftermarket wheels for the Vengeance - thinking P-47 or P-38? (Need dust covers).

Ā 

Anyone know the diameter of the real Vengeance wheels? Any charts I can find only cover the usual WW2 types so can't see which is closest.

Ā 

Thanks in advance - sorry for re-opening an old chat.

AFAIR Tamiya 1/72 Corsair has two props in box. Am I right? The Academy B 17 has two sets of props as weel but smaller diameter.

But the advice with making a cast in resin is perhaps the best one. I will advice use of silicon ribber for form and then epoxy glue for casting

J-W

Ā 

On 4/4/2016 at 12:04 PM, Crossiant Oliver said:

Ā Pete's hangar, but Ozmods has a 1/48 version of it (looking for 1/72) and Pete's hangar doesn't have it.

On 4/4/2016 at 11:16 PM, stevehnz said:

Ā Pete's hanger listed a correction set of cowl & prop or seperate white metal prop for the Frog kit, probably hard to find now, but stated as a 12' diameter.

Ā 

Pete's Hangar was demolished on his demise and the masters for his casting were dispersed. The Vengeance upgrade is one of his best efforts - many of the others aren't really worth having.

@Crossiant OliverĀ - it would be a nice easy wayĀ to learn casting.

• Like 1

Here's a Flickr photo that shows the main gear strut/wheel of a Vengeance taken at the assembly plant- you can get a good idea of relative size; the VengeanceĀ  wheel and tire looked to be more suited to a multi-engined aircraft like an A-20 or B-25, but maybe in consideration of the flying fields from which it would operate.

Mike

Ā 

Ā 

This woman worker at the Vultee-Nashville is shown making final adjustments in the wheel well of an inner wing before the installation of the landing gear, Nashville, Tenn. This [is] one of the numerous assembly operations in connection with the mass prod

Here'

12 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

This was four years ago. I'm sure he's found a propĀ  off an Avenger or B-25 since then.

Hmmm.... maybe. Some modellers are pretty slow. it wouldn't be the only plane on the Shelf of Neglect with just a small part to go!