Revell 1:24 scale Schlingmann HLF20 Fire Truck - with lights (maybe)

Ok, the rear body is fixed into place now. All went quite well really, only one dry run needed. The blue light covers are fixed and the ladders are all done too. The inside of the 'box' looks like spaghetti with the wiring from the front to be connected with the wiring from the back and sides. Is it going too well at the moment? I keep asking myself and think my luck must run out at some time, surely...........?

FIRE94_zpsuytqkw1c

FIRE95_zpsexo5dyrt

FIRE96_zpswdp0s5yj

FIRE97_zps9eejczqp

FIRE98_zpsvjrdudi5

FIRE100_zpsip8iycdk

FIRE101_zpsfdi1gvlp

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 1

Wow! That's looking great with it all together. You are doing a really fine job on this ...........and I'm very impressed with the amount of wiring!! :coolio:

Kind regards,

Stix

Wow! That's looking great with it all together. You are doing a really fine job on this ...........and I'm very impressed with the amount of wiring!! :coolio:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks, Stix. I always appreciate good feedback. I've never been known to have so much patience when building kits. It always used to be done straight from the box as per the instructions and was usually completed within a week. Some of the builds I'm doing now are getting really intense with added details and trying to add lighting, etc. This build has been 2 months so far (phew!). I'm still learning so much as I go along and at 57 I am still managing to take it all in.

As for the wiring Stix, I will try to post another picture tomorrow to show the full extent of the wiring now.

• Like 1

Looking good! You've done a very neat paint job on it.

Thanks Phil. I'm quietly pleased with how the paint job is turning out. Especially as I'm fully airbrushing this build rather than using rattle cans. Also I have been using Tamiya masking tape instead of the cheap old tape from the pound shop and it is well worth the extra expense.

The main wiring has now been done, threaded through the chassis and wrapped in a manageable loom. All the lights are still working (as shown below). Next is the roof. Lights have to be added along the side at the tops for highlighting the side of the vehicle.

That's all I will be posting for the next week and a half as tomorrow (Saturday) we are off to sunny Spain for a break .

Thanks for still tuning in and I hope you enjoy your break too, from my many posts. The end is near................

Indicators

FIRE102_zpsa3o5tx8d

Reversing lights

FIRE103_zpsulurfhd2

Brake lights

FIRE104_zpsdes05cuu

Rear Blues

FIRE105_zpsdhboafl0

Rear Reds

FIRE106_zpsjlskpctu

Side lights on

FIRE107_zps9iu7vn4e

Front indicators

FIRE109_zpsezjek2k3

Headlights

FIRE111_zpsvlrphil8

FIRE112_zpsgpnessqh

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 5

Just found your build thread Kevin, fantastic work especially the doors and the lighting. Congrats, it's coming together very nicely..

Colin

So impressive! Hope you are having/had a great holiday!

Two months to build so far eh? Took me a year to build mine and I only had two working lights!!!

Kind regards,

Stis

That lighting is epic!

Superb modelling.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve. I always appreciate feedback, especially when it is positive.

The KFS dash is wider and longer than the TGM dash & a different shape.

Stuart.

That's a shame Stuart. No chance of making it shorter without spoiling the detail I suppose?

Just found your build thread Kevin, fantastic work especially the doors and the lighting. Congrats, it's coming together very nicely..

Colin

Thanks Colin. Much appreciated. I always hope it will give some inspiration to others to adapt any kits they do. I'm not really brilliant at this sort of thing but with a little patience and thought, you can make changes without any defects being spotted by the naked eye.

So impressive! Hope you are having/had a great holiday!

Two months to build so far eh? Took me a year to build mine and I only had two working lights!!!

Kind regards,

Stis

Thanks Stix. Had a good holiday thanks. One of the coach drivers had a chest infection which he passed onto most of the passengers by the end of the trip home (including me) so not feeling so good at present.

I cleared everything away before I went on holiday as my youngest daughter was looking after the place and I didn't want to risk her poking through anything out of curiousity. Now I have to totally get everything out and get re-organised. Then I have to remember where I got to.

I think the next stage is the light strip that goes along the top of the side panels. From the real thing it seems to look like a long LED strip which illuminates the whole area around the side of the truck. To do it properly would cost quite a bit, so..................I need to count up the leftover Euro's....

Right ho then. Back from my holiday and the cold and chest infection is slowly going, so it's back to getting this build to the end.

I've been working on the long strip light that goes along the top of the accessory 'box'.

FIRE116_zpsokaxj8yb

Alas, I have spent all week on the Internet trying to find a way to replicate this and found nothing at all that would fit within the parameters of this narrow area. I've tried so many different things but with no luck, so I have come up with a plan using poetic justice that I may just get away with.

Anyway, during this time I have added the warning lights to the platforms running along the accessory 'box' ...........

FIRE113_zpspvqnrdvr

FIRE114_zpsovulvtig

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 3

Brilliant. I actually thought those last few pictures were of the real truck! Hope you feel better soon mate.

Thanks Paul. Appreciate that. The cold has dried up so no mishaps when working over the model........sorry, too much detail?

Anyway, my head is clearing now and I think I have a solution to the light panel above the accessory box. It may not be authentic but I may get away with it.

When I post the pics I'd appreciate your feedback.

Nice!

Thanks Phil. Glad you're still following. I promise the end is nigh..............

• Like 1

At last! I think I have the solution to the lightbar above the accessory 'box'. Below is the evidence. It may not be authentic but it seems to look ok and is not too imposing.

The top is now fixed in place and just awaits the ladders. The shutters gave me another headache. In the kit the hand rails are solid, so I did some cutting and drilled some holes and hope to pass wire through to create the appearance of real hand rails. Hopefully I will post the pics tomorrow.

FIRE115_zpstlpzs3xz

FIRE120_zpsjgvvnfgy

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 2

At last!! The build is finally complete. All of the decals have been added as well as all those little bits and pieces that are always left to last. Now there is just the wiring to sort out to the switches. Hopefully all of the lights still work after all this time.

I have amazed myself at times with all the added details that I did along the way, using tips and ideas from others on the forums and information available on the Internet (a modelers dream)

and I have faced many challenges to put my own ideas in place. But I have learned so much along the way for future builds. Hopefully I have given others some ideas and encouragement.

Many thanks to all of those who have followed this build throughout and to those who have offered encouragement, praise and tips along the way. Without your input I don't think I would have enjoyed putting my work up for scrutiny. To all those who put their own WIP up for viewing I salute you. Not knowing what reaction you may receive when you show your work (warts and all) is a hard thing to do, but I would encourage everyone to give it a go and push yourself further by adding extra details to your builds.

Thanks again and I hope you view my work in the RFI section in a few days time. Here are a few teasers:

FIRE120_zpsjgvvnfgy

FIRE121_zpsfejiwnjl

FIRE123_zps4uregoul

Fire126_zpsbuie0vh1

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 1

Very smart work, really neat job of building the kit but your lighting is excellent, the scene lighting on the sides is particularly good.

A build to be proud of, good effort!