Revell 1:24 scale Schlingmann HLF20 Fire Truck - with lights (maybe)

Hi all.

With my keen interest in fire trucks, I couldn't resist this kit. I have seen videos of this kit online showing it with lights and blues and two's, etc, and have been impressed. Usually I download the assembly instructions a month or so before buying any kit that I want to add lights to so that I can work out if it is possible or not. Alas, I just could not find any instructions posted online at all so this will be built with one eye shut and with a lot of luck and hope.

One thing that really impressed me was that the main chassis was in one piece, so no worry about getting it dead square, no cross members to fiddle with, etc.

Unfortunately this kit is going to take me a long time to do as I have a very busy period coming up at work and may not progress as much as I'd like to. I do not have much patience, so this will be a challenge in itself.

So here we go. I thank you for your patience in advance should you wish to follow this build. :coolio:

The impressive box lid. I wonder if mine will look like this?

FIRE01_zpsgbkhlk8c

Work station ready to go. Tea, phone and cigs at the ready.

FIRE02_zpsesnbevcx

All washed and dried and priority items at the top.

FIRE03_zpslgasxcjh

Everything that is possible to fit to the chassis before spraying.

FIRE05_zpsge7pdeia

The main powerhouse, assembled, sprayed and ready to place.

FIRE06_zps9i0m03if

FIRE08_zpsiblsbopq

FIRE09_zps47fwjg9q

The chassis, sprayed and the engine fitted...........

FIRE11_zpsys1puesa

FIRE12_zpsjpaq7aia

FIRE14_zpsbr7v37ta

Thanks for looking.

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 3

I'll be watching this with interest. Is this a new kit from Revell? I don't recall seeing it before.

Stuart

Hi Stu

Yes, it is a new kit from Revell. So new that they have not uploaded the instructions for it to their website yet.

For a change I actually managed to get hold of the kit on the Gameseek website for £42. Usually I only find out about these kits when the are no longer produced and have to pay a lot extra for them.

Edited by ukmodeller

And they're off!!! :wow:

In a wild moment of insanity, I have now decided to remove 2 of the cab doors. I don't see the point in having all of the doors opening as it will just weaken the structure too much as I build. Now I just have to work out how to do the hinges (which I think I have seen on this site) Yet another new area to explore.

I am also trying to expand my tiny knowledge of electronics for the lights. This could take ages................................. :banghead:

FIRE15_zpsatcuwu2m

FIRE16_zpsa927rlvy

FIRE17_zpsfftjm1yl

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 1

Modelair do a paint set for emergency vehicals if you are interested.

Rodders

Thanks for that Rodders. Shame as the last last of the paint that I ordered arrived today, but I have made a note of it for the future.

There are some useful colours in the pack too.

While searching for it I came across another model shop that I had not come across before which has a lot of useful stuff.

So, thanks again for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

Did not do any at all this week as I've been too tired from work (13 hour days moving heavy boxes).

Alas, managed to progress some more this weekend.............

My first attempt at hinges. This is the inside panel of the front door, checking the fit.

FIRE18_zpsofacqtka

Front door hinge fitted. Seems to work ok.

FIRE21_zps2jrs7fbb

FIRE23_zps6fnvhhdm

Mmmm......now the rear door..................

FIRE24_zps1v12szvg

Checking the working of the rear door hinge before fitting.

FIRE27_zpsgdppgx2u

Ok, so far so good. Just needs a little adjusting.

FIRE25_zpsjzwhzhou

Better.

FIRE28_zpstxrggc5d

Yep, it opens ok.........Phew!

FIRE27_zpsgdppgx2u

Now, on to the cab

FIRE29_zps02qxqdnn

FIRE30_zpsy6i6rtwc

FIRE31_zpssioraooz

FIRE32_zpsenivd4rl

FIRE33_zpsecvnaiej

A lot of the rough bits done when fitting the hinges have all been cleaned up, filled and sprayed.

Thanks for your interest. Hopefully I may get some done this week but have the same long days at work as last week.

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again, folks.

Well, the last 3 weeks have been very hectic at work. I managed to build up over 52 hours of overtime within 2 of those weeks (Mon - Fri). At 58, loading heavy boxes of archive files onto artics every day made me think of nothing else but work, eating and sleeping. The model was a lone figure in the corner.

Alas, I have now accepted redundancy and after 18 years of service with the company, I am going to take a few weeks off. I have already registered as a sef employed sole trader and have a store online to sell graphics on. Hopefully this will keep me ticking over and make my redundancy pay last a year or more. I have so many other ideas too.

Anyway, I've been busy catching up, as you can see below:

The cab is painted and ready for polishing, etc.

FIRE34_zpsqejae5eh

The doors still seem to fit well enough.

FIRE35_zpsj9ssmm3q

FIRE36_zpshv0zgnla

The lightbar is painted

FIRE37_zps9wpbjabw

The blue lights have been fitted into the front panel. Some touching up work still needed.

FIRE38_zpsvqgwqbhy

FIRE39_zpsogpn9gya

Thanks for viewing

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 2

Well, folks, I managed some more today: The crew restraining straps for the interior

FIRE40_zps4jkbetcm

FIRE41_zpsw16fh6se

FIRE42_zpsxsexg2ug

FIRE43_zpsudvhipvb

FIRE44_zpscpqvqy87

Next, fitting the interior to the cab..............

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 2

Looking good matey will be following this all the way ☺☺☺

Thanks, Graham. Appreciate your encouragement.

There are a lot of firsts for me with this kit, the door hinges, the seat belts and a DIY electronics kit for the flashing lights. As for the lights, wonder if I will ever get around to them all..............

Hi Kevin. That is really progressing well so far. I like all your added detailing - it's really going to make it something special. Are you going to make your blue lights flash? From your post it looks like they're just on. I made the Revell Schlingmann LF 20/16 not long after getting back into modelling and I bought a cheap electronics kit from Maplins to get them to look like they work. The electronics kit was really easy to make up but it only allows the lights to flash on/off alternately but it's not a bad effect. There a video of mine here. Apologies if you've already got something sorted.

Kind regards,

Stix

Very impressive stuff, working doors & lights takes it up a level from a plastic kit. Good effort.

Thanks, Phil. It is certainly one of my biggest challenges yet, with so little space to work with while installing the lights.

Hi Kevin. That is really progressing well so far. I like all your added detailing - it's really going to make it something special. Are you going to make your blue lights flash? From your post it looks like they're just on. I made the Revell Schlingmann LF 20/16 not long after getting back into modelling and I bought a cheap electronics kit from Maplins to get them to look like they work. The electronics kit was really easy to make up but it only allows the lights to flash on/off alternately but it's not a bad effect. There a video of mine here. Apologies if you've already got something sorted.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix.

Thanks very much for your encouraging words. No need to apologise as I am always looking for tips or idea's, even for future projects.

I have had a look at your pictures and video and must admit that your kit looks superb. The detail is just amazing. I'm not really sure that mine be look as good as yours but I will give it a go. The road looks so realistic too. If it's ok with you I would like to use your pictures as a form of reference for myself. Just some blue lights flashing add atmosphere to any emergency kit.

The blue lights do flash on the front panel, I just photographed them on to show that they were going to be illuminated. The top blues above the cab flash as well. I am just starting on all of the lights on the front bumper but there is not a lot of space to play with there so that is going to be a challenge. I have now installed the side indicators, which will flash, and they look ok.

The cab interior lights work too, so the plan seems to be working so far.

I am so heavy handed when it comes to soldering but I took a chance on a cheap electroics kit online and was surprised that it worked. It was only a 2 LED kit but I am now looking at a multi sequence 8 LED kit. I plan to put on so many lights that I may need a full size 12v battery to run them all, lol.

I did look at the lightbars but was not really happy with any that I saw. I think I will just have the 2 flashing lights atop the cab.

I hope to add some more pictures tonight if I get time. Thanks again for your post.

Thanks for being so patient. Spent most of yesterday in London at the passport office so did not get much done.

Today I have fitted the interior to the cab and after a lot of pushing and shoving and harsh words, it is now fitted. Also fitted the side indicators today and decided to test the lights.

So far so good...........

FIRE45_zps4uyi6pql

FIRE46_zpskd0r0azr

FIRE48_zpstrsp6lxk

FIRE49_zpsdakqcwyv

FIRE51_zpsuiiy2am1

Edited by ukmodeller
update images

I wonder if you are paying attention and can spot the difference between the picture above and the one below?

Yep, we now have steps leading down from the rear cab doors.

I was studying the Internet to get the details for the rear lights and came across a video of an exhibition where they have a real one of these and it showed that when the rear cab door is opened the panel opens down to create steps for the rear cab crew. It is hydraulically operated and they close with the door. I had a think and one headache later found a way to do it. Of course they do not close as it would take far too long to implement. Excuse the dust particles, it's not worth cleaning it up yet........I may find something else needs doing........

FIRE53_zps1dbscaur

FIRE54_zps1qdngdlr

FIRE55_zpst6xulcyz

Getting there with the front foot well and have now added the indicators.

FIRE56_zpsurndc7gq

Most of the chrome finish has now been done.

FIRE57_zpsrlpqpniu

Edited by ukmodeller
update images

That's looking fantastic Kevin, well done. I do like the look of these kits, if only Revell or someone would produce a UK spec fire truck as well. I have quite a penchant for fire engines, a couple of my friends have their own private collection of the real things which I play about with weekly.

• Like 1

MRC makes a controller module that can give you all sorts of controlled lighting effects like on real fire trucks and it was only $39. I have one that I'm planning on using for my Pocher Ferrari Testarossa build. The lights on my Mercedes will just be on and off as a 1936 Mercedes didn't have much in the way of fancy light effects.

That's looking fantastic Kevin, well done. I do like the look of these kits, if only Revell or someone would produce a UK spec fire truck as well. I have quite a penchant for fire engines, a couple of my friends have their own private collection of the real things which I play about with weekly.

Thanks Paul. Always appreciate positive feedback.

I agree, the UK market for fire trucks within the UK market is very poor for this scale. I did scratch build a Denis fire engine for my OO gauge model railway years ago but that is all packed up in the loft now. I did look at converting this kit to an English version as someone actually produces a right hand drive dashboard for this kit, but it is really expensive and I have to be careful of costs. I did convert the Simba 8 x 8 to an Englsih version (Gatwick Airport) though.

Like you, I am mesmorised by the blues and two's and, as a child, used to spend hours outside Brixton fire station to watch the engines leave. For you to have access to the real thing is just amazing. I sure envy you there.

Regards

Kevin

• Like 1

MRC makes a controller module that can give you all sorts of controlled lighting effects like on real fire trucks and it was only $39. I have one that I'm planning on using for my Pocher Ferrari Testarossa build. The lights on my Mercedes will just be on and off as a 1936 Mercedes didn't have much in the way of fancy light effects.

Thanks for that. I have looked on some US websites and they have far more electronic kits available than we do in the UK and the prices are so affordable. Also, they have some amazing Fire Truck kits to choose from too. I am always in awe at the American LaFrance trucks (especially the articulated one's with rear steering)

Over here (UK) Velleman sell an electronic kit which looks perfect for Blue's & Two's lighting effects. The MK180 kit looks brilliant of YouTube and I am still thinking of getting that. It is only about £11 ($15) and looks easy enough to assemble.

The lights on the kit that you mentioned would look amazing. I see that you can get under floor lighting too for car kits.

Just a little more done. This time it's the front indicators. I had to modify the stair well for the side indicators but think I may have got away with it..........

FIRE58_zpsutiggims

FIRE59_zpsglrmvyu0

FIRE60_zps92vtw8j2

FIRE61_zpsnbqseiee

Edited by ukmodeller
update images

Thanks Paul. Always appreciate positive feedback.

I agree, the UK market for fire trucks within the UK market is very poor for this scale. I did scratch build a Denis fire engine for my OO gauge model railway years ago but that is all packed up in the loft now. I did look at converting this kit to an English version as someone actually produces a right hand drive dashboard for this kit, but it is really expensive and I have to be careful of costs. I did convert the Simba 8 x 8 to an Englsih version (Gatwick Airport) though.

Like you, I am mesmorised by the blues and two's and, as a child, used to spend hours outside Brixton fire station to watch the engines leave. For you to have access to the real thing is just amazing. I sure envy you there.

Regards

Kevin

The trouble with converting a kit like this to a UK truck is that most of the bodywork and kit is bespoke to the UK spec. The basic chassis cabs may be similar but the coachwork would be a challenge.

I was at my friend's place today dropping the transmission sump on their Scammell Mk10 crash truck. They also have a Green Goddess, Land Rover TACR1 and an American La France 700 crash truck........ All of which deserve 1/24 kits!

I decided to finish some of the accessories today while the rear body section dries. I'm glad to get ride of some of the smaller parts hanging around after spraying.

FIRE65_zpsvyynobda

FIRE66_zpszruc2z1u

FIRE67_zps5g7qwmem

FIRE68_zpsezcyiwyg

Edited by ukmodeller
update images

The trouble with converting a kit like this to a UK truck is that most of the bodywork and kit is bespoke to the UK spec. The basic chassis cabs may be similar but the coachwork would be a challenge.

I was at my friend's place today dropping the transmission sump on their Scammell Mk10 crash truck. They also have a Green Goddess, Land Rover TACR1 and an American La France 700 crash truck........ All of which deserve 1/24 kits!

Very true. The exhaust is usually on the opposite side too. Sometimes you can hide certain things and may get away with it.

Would love to go to the USA and see those chrome fire trucks for real, but to have one so close at hand must be amazing. I've just seen on a website a 1958 American LaFrance 700 series aerial ladder on sale for $39,000. If only.............Can imagine the fun driving that on the UK roads.