Nakajima J1N1S Gekko (Irving), Revell 1/72

Hi

The oldest of three models I posting today - I made it in 1976 or 1977...I remeber some upgrading of painting, especially weathering in the span of this almost 40 years...Anyway - this is very old one. This is Nakajima J1N1S Gekko made OOB from Japaneese Revell kit.

gekko DSC01014

gekko DSC01015gekko DSC01016

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 8

Hi Jerzy!!!

Believe me, have had a great joy watching in detail each picture you shared here of your nice builds and feeling that is so

Nice to enjoy another nice part of a jewel collection you have in your shelves....the Gekko= Moonbeam...for me the name sounds like to a most beloved girl I would have had at that time...

Those FOUR Revell twin engine kits, I don't remember if you have presented all of them here, were ones of the "Most Wanted" for many people doing serious PLASTIC MODELING in Guatemala!! I had bought one example of this beauty in 1981 made from Revell Moulds but by the REVELL-LODELA subsidiary company in Mexico. This country's plastic was rated not so good by many, a little brittle and hard said many, but it was better to have these old ladies from there than nothing...the japanese offerings were not so watched here and the others (Revell US, GB or Germany)...I don't know if they did produced them...

I checked the plastic and was a little hard but thought very workable, with a little flash but wonderful and proceed right from the box to the bench leaving even other activities aside one weekend, starting mine with so careful love and passion after having read some stories dealing with night killing of the bombers that went by night against Japan in WW II....to enjoy the build of the Gekko=Moonbeam.....painting inside a mix of Testors Metallic Green + Metallic Blue to make the Malachite Green as one pf our that time "Modeling Gurùs" said...getting the very best of me in the build and finished it with all the instructions and guides gave to me, that I followed like "Godspell" letter by letter and point by point..

I remember this "Black Beauty" once be proudly presiding my shelve of finished models back in 1982, but sadly crashed after a shelve incident that made me thinking along more than thirty years of that with sadness...and believe me, this is the ONLY model I haven't had the chance to buy again because all that I have watched are getting prices beyond the level I would be paying for them, but one day will be the chance to do that again...maybe THAT was the thing made me to have let gone many Hasegawa and other brands Japanese planes I had in my stasht...

Liked a lot the way you have painted this one in this black nice paint scheme, and its overall apeal you achieved here in this job; maybe its not so impressive as the other japanese twin I watched here but for me, is like watching a picture of an old love that by life reasons was have to be left just to the nice memories in my heart.

Thank you very much for sharing and made my day full of wonderful memories!!!.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Hi Luis - many thanks for your so emotional story! It is 40 years gone...I am sorry about your shelves crash - I hade similar sccident with one shelve only also in 80-ties...

By "four Japanese twin engine" I suppouse you mean: Ki-21 Sally, Ki 49 Donryu-Helen, Gekko-Irving and Ging-Kyokko-Frank. Is it? there was also a 5th one - Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu. I have all of them - I posted since far here Ki-21, Ki-49 (which I made in '90-ties) , now Gekko. Ginga can be posted soon, but Toryu's decals did not survived 40 years and I have to work a bit on her before posting. Ginga and Toryu are also from late 70-ties on my shelves....

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

By "four Japanese twin engine" I suppouse you mean: Ki-21 Sally, Ki 49 Donryu-Helen, Gekko-Irving and Ging-Kyokko-Frank. Is it? there was also a 5th one - Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu. I have all of them - I posted since far here Ki-21, Ki-49 (which I made in '90-ties) , now Gekko. Ginga can be posted soon, but Toryu's decals did not survived 40 years and I have to work a bit on her before posting. Ginga and Toryu are also from late 70-ties on my shelves....

Hi Jerzy!!!

I remember at that time in 1981-1983 while I was working in a Local Hobby Shop here we have had one customer who lend us monthly the Squadron Mail Order Catalog as he used to buy kits there but was very risky as sometimes the shipments were lost in the local mail by many reasons...you know...so he used to order with us and for our orders we used to use his catalog as a guide and there we used to watch the advertised Revell from Japan kits but were there announced the first ones you listed here, I remember well Sally-Doryu-Gekko and Ginga-.

Unfortunately for us the Suppliers in USA can't have in stock any of those kits as seem they were available there only the British/German and US origin kits from Revell.

I will check your wonderful posts to give a look at them and have the chance to admire what I have missed of them.

Cheers and thank you very much for your nice answer.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1