+++++ Finished - Merlins over Salerno +++++

Here's my contribution to this GB, a Seafire MkIIc from Sword.

image_zpsn2xfgv6k.jpeg

Two options on the transfer sheet, a Seafire LIIc from 809 NAS from HMS Unicorn at Salerno and standard MkIIc from880 NAS from HMS Argus from Operation Torch.

image_zpsk8ndcyes.jpeg

Although the LIIc with its clipped wings detracts from the beautiful Spitfire wing form it is a little different from the norm so I'm going with that. And how can one not have a sharkmouth Seafire?

The box contents is a single sprue with effectively a Mk V Spit, with an additional sprue with a new fuselage, four bladed prop and parts for the arrestor hook. There is also some resin cannons and a clear plastic transparency.

image_zpsu3xtwi4k.jpeg

Nice transfers and the modifications to the Spit Mk V fuselage to strengthen it for deck landings are nicely moulded.

image_zpshajgw0gm.jpeg

Hopefully a first coat of paint on the little parts before the end of this afternoon

Edited by 825
  • Like 6

I'll be following this one as I have two of these on the stash which I haven't plucked up the courage to build (I've had bad experiences with Sword Spitfires & Seafires, that probably says more about me than the kits).

On a personal note I'm always happy to see another Seafire in this GB and having considered adding this kit to the stash I'll be paying particular attention to how it goes together for you. Welcome to the GB.

Thanks, I've put together some other Sword kits and they are OK. Not quite bake and shake but they end up looking good. Off topic here is a Sword Curtiss Seamew that I completed last year. Though I have heard tales of woe about their Harrier T4 which is a little worry as I have a couple in the stash.

image_zps3rfcwsa0.jpeg

Edited by 825
  • Like 1

Welcome to this group build !

Interesting choice of subjects, will be good to see another Seafire. My experience with the Sword kit has until now been mostly positive but with a few things that I found a bit annoying. The fit of the lower wing part in particular has not been the best. I also have the feeling that the rear bulkhead and armour don't extend as far up as they should but this is a minor thing.

A sharkmouth on a Seafire is a rare thing indeed, will look very good. A IIc at Salerno is one of my future projects as I've been trying to build models of all types that fought over Italy in WW2, will watch this with interest

A coat of paint on all the bits that need something before starting to attack with the glue

image_zpsq56rgxwa.jpeg

And cut the wing tips off, still to be trimmed and tidied. I'll wait until they are assembled before final trimming and adding the new wing tips, just to make sure with fit.

image_zps3ekh6nx9.jpeg

No going back now.

• Like 1

A bundle of sub assemblies. So far so good, although the cockpit looks a bit cramped

image_zpsbb7lrfbp.jpeg

image_zps00punm6s.jpeg

Fuselage closed up. I went off piste here and left the cockpit assembly out, after checking it could be inserted from underneath. I first tacked the tail and rear upper fuselage together. Then prised the rear lower fuselage open, glued in the arrestor nook bay insert, and then closed the lower fuselage up and ran some Tamiya Extra Thin cement along the join. Fixed it with some Tamiya tape, then cemented up the upper front fuselage in front of the cockpit. Again some tape to keep it in place.

image_zpsqleegwia.jpeg

image_zps5gxiqrsu.jpeg

This is it after a first thin layer of Perfect Putty which has been wiped off with a damp cotton bud. This fills any holes and imperfections before attacking with the sanding files. All in all it looks good at this stage, very Spitfire/Seafire like and the rear fuselage is commendably slim and shapely.

• Like 1

It is indeed a rather cramped office, but the cockpit assembly went in OK. Also the fuselage join sanded down OK and only needed a tiny amount of filler. Let's see how it looks under a coat of paint.

image_zpsjt77dtmf.jpeg

image_zpsnof4vtzn.jpeg

Next job is to fit the lower wing. I have seen stuff here that suggests that wing fit can be a challenge. The instructions suggest joining top and bottom before fixing to the fuselage. I'll probably get the lower wing fixed first and then add the upper wings once I'm satisfied. Spitfire wings can be tricky and I recall spending hours sanding off plastic when trying to fit them to a High Planes Seafire. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

Your fuselage assembly came out very well. Speaking of wings, watch out for the wheel well inserts: they may force the upper wing too high, some sanding may be needed

Thanks Giorgio. I now recall seeing that advice on another thread. I've already given them a light swipe with a sanding stick and will go carefully and test fit as the upper wings go on.

Lower wing on. Took a bit of tape to hold it down but went on OK in the end. I think it's careful dry fitting, gentle fettling and checking before applying the glue is the way to go.

image_zpsydsvd3ln.jpeg

A tiny amount of filler needed. Not a great photo I'm afraid. The iPad doesn't really do focus that well

image_zpsimc2xd52.jpeg

• Like 3

Now the upper wings on. The fit wasn't all that bad. There were a few seams to fill and sanding, especially on the leading edge is required. I've filled with Perfect Putty and smoothed off with a damp cotton bud. A little bit on finishing off needed, but I'll let it dry off for a while before attacking with the sanding sticks.

The wing tips will need a bit of work. One is a bit short moulded, and at the narrow tip so careful work needed. I'll maybe use a sliver of plastic strip as a base. First fit wasn't good, especially matching the upper and lower wing profile so I switched them around in the opposite way from the instructions and the fit was much better. Not perfect but near enough to be fixed with my skills.

image_zpsqorm5sdg.jpeg

image_zpsgczrlegk.jpeg

image_zpsw5pwjesb.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks to be going together well for you :coolio:

Thanks. Done a bit more during the day. And getting close to a first coat of Sky.

Thanks Cookie. The Sword Spitfire/Seafires do build up well and do look the part. There are a few fit issues but there has been limited filler on this one so far. I would have liked a more positive join for the tailplane, the butt join is not very positive.

Here is the wing tip Part 1. Layers of plastic strip pieces flooded with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement then trimmed and sanded when dry. Final polish up when totally hard

image_zps9oqfhvb1.jpeg

• Like 1

Getting close to a coat of Sky on the underside. This is progressing quicker than expected especially as I am a bit of a slow worker.

image_zpstsoa4bus.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks Giorgio. I think the secret is to take things slowly and check, trim, check, trim until everything is as right as it can be. I also left the wings taped up for 24 hours after each step to make sure they were securely stuck down.

There's now a couple of coats of Sky on the underside and this has shown a few seams that need tidied but nothing much. No photos yet I'm afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

The underside is painted and there's a couple of coats of Dark Slate Grey on the top. Another coat needed but I've posted this to show how the wing clipping makes quite a bit of difference. There's a loss of the Spitfire's (or in this case a Seafire) elegance but it certainly gives her a really aggressive appearance.

image_zpsttsmooxp.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably should have been earlier but here is the cockpit. Pretty much OOB with Tamiya tape seat belts. They are probably needed as the canopy is very clear plastic.

image_zpszfhqmb87.jpeg

• Like 2

Main paint coat done. A bit of touching up in progress, hence the tape in evidence. But getting there slowly and surely.

Underside. A bit bright at the moment but should cool down once the transfers are on and a couple of coats of matt varnish

image_zps5e5jcinj.jpeg

And the topsides

image_zpsaxpyittv.jpeg

image_zpsfafppcb7.jpeg

Not a bad days work. The canopy has also been dipped in Kleer.

• Like 3