1/35 Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen V Panther (Sd.kfz.171) Ausf.A

1/35 Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen V Panther (Sd.kfz.171) Ausf.A

It's an old mold (1970's) but in true Tamiya style, ahead in its day and has very nice details etc.

I supplemented this kit with Eduard’s photo etch set #35424 and some Bronco aftermarket tracks as the old rubber band tracks are a definite weak point.

Some background on the Panther Tank:

The Panther was a German medium tank deployed during World War II on the Eastern and Western Fronts in Europe from mid-1943 to its end in 1945. It had the ordnance inventory designation of Sd.Kfz. 171.

Until 27 February 1944, it was designated as the Panzerkampfwagen V Panther when Hitler ordered that the Roman numeral "V" be deleted. Contemporary English language reports sometimes refer to it as the Mark V.

The Panther was intended to counter the Soviet T-34 and to replace the Panzer III and Panzer IV. Nevertheless, it served alongside the latter and the heavier Tiger I until the end of the war. It is considered one of the best tanks of World War II for its excellent firepower and protection. Its reliability was less impressive.

The Panther was a compromise. While having essentially the same engine as the Tiger I, it had more efficient frontal hull armour, better gun penetration, was lighter and faster, and could traverse rough terrain better than the Tiger I. The trade-off was weaker side armour, which made it vulnerable to flanking fire. The Panther proved to be effective in open country and long range engagements, but did not provide enough high explosive firepower against infantry.

The Panther was far cheaper to produce than the Tiger I, and only slightly more expensive than the Panzer IV. Key elements of the Panther design, such as its armour, transmission, and final drive, were simplifications made to improve production rates and address raw material shortages. The overall design remained somewhat over-engineered. The Panther was rushed into combat at the Battle of Kursk despite numerous unresolved technical problems, leading to high losses due to mechanical failure. Most design flaws were rectified in the German retreat, though the bombing of production plants, increasing shortages of high quality alloys for critical components, shortage of fuel and training space, and the declining quality of crews all impacted on the Type's effectiveness.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_tank

• Kit Manufacture: Tamiya (#35065).
  • Scale: 1/35.
  • Type: PanzerkampfwagenV Panther (Sd.kfz.171) Ausf.A.
  • Extras used: OOB+Eduard (#35424) and Bronco movable tracks.
  • Paints and colours used: Primer was black Stynylrez. Paints used were Tamiya’s XF-60, Dark Yellow, XF-64 Red Brown and XF-84, dark iron.
  • Weathering: darkd brown pastel based wash, MIG's 502 Abteilung german ochre filter, green, grey, blue and raw umber artist oils and rust and earth pigments.

DSCF3636.JPG

DSCF3637.JPG

DSCF3638.JPG

DSCF3639.JPG

DSCF3640.JPG

DSCF3641.JPG

DSCF3642.JPG

DSCF3643.JPG

DSCF3644.JPG

DSCF3646.JPG

DSCF3647.JPG

DSCF3648.JPG

DSCF3649.JPG

DSCF3650.JPG

DSCF3651.JPG

• Like 19

That is excellent - well done!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really like the way you've done your base with the simulated weld joints on the corners and matching camouflage paint? What a great idea, you've obviously put some thought into how best to display your finished model?!! :coolio:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

Hi Toby. That is a very impressive Panther - beautifully finished and weathered. And the base is excellent too - very well thought out. Well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks all the feedback guys.

It was an enjoyable build, even with lots of fiddly photo-etch.

It pushed my boundaries for weathering and made me learn a lot (although it makes we want to buy more weathering products!!!).

I normally try to keep to 3 builds on the go at any one time and now one of them is going to be an armour kit.

The bases were relatively easy to make but foam board is not the best medium for this.

:coolio:

• 4 months later...