1/72 Spitfire 26

Cookenbacher

Nice work , looks good so far ,it's quite similar to a 30 series Seafire.

IMG_0642_zpsc9fl6ttm.jpg

IMG_0644_zpsw5nep3eh.jpg

A Seafire 36 , two stage Merlin engine , as used in the far east in the late stages of the Pacific war.

Andrew

• Like 2

John, at least you probably have some decent Spitfire whiffing bits left over from the 15.

Actually the Merlin Models Spitfire Mk XII was kind of a WHIF right out of the box, as in, "What if a Spitfire was built from rusted tomato cans by blindfolded, psychotic butchers whose only metalforming tools were large sledgehammers?". Mind you, I did intend to replace some of the parts with those from real Spitfire kits, so if those are still in the box, you could be right...

John

• Like 5

Cookie, I kinda like the pre-shaded NMF Spit, I'm not sure I would go over with anything to reduce the contrast (but that depend also on the amount on weathering you're planning to do on it). A picture taken with a bit more of light would help in judging that effect, though.

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Giemme, I'll try and get a 'real' picture of it in better light. Of course, it being a metallic finish, it looks completely different from different angles, and then even more different in pictures. I was thinking a little mist coat of Metal Color Dark Aluminum would sort of blend the 'patches' a little, like on the Mk 21.

• Like 1

I've just got an AZ 21 from Ebay and the spare fuselage is going to be a second 4 cannon big tail 18. Already started the base wing.

If you've got several AZ spits, try mixing and matching the wings/fuselages as they all fit each other. The 21/22 wing will fit their VIII and vice versa with the fuselages. The AZ kits are easy enough to get rather cheap on ebay and I suspect it'll be easier when the Eduard kits start coming out.

• Like 2

I was just looking at the spare fuselage in my AZ Mk 21 kit and doing a little scheming just the other day! I like the idea of a 'late' XVIII, and yours looks fantastic. I'm sadly lacking any AZ VIII's, they seem to have a better shape than the new tool IX's. I'll keep an eye out on ebay as you suggest.

• Like 1

If you're considering another 26, the Airfix 22 wing will take an AZ IX fuselage with little or no difficulty. Their two mk 16 lowbacks have the highback fuselage as a spare...

The Airfix 22 wing also accepts a Heller 16 one with little trouble either. The resulting spare wing can go onto either their IX or XIX. I've a spare fuselage so it's one I'm cobbling together now. :evil_laugh:

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up Wooksta. Sounds like I need to stock up on Airfix 22's. That kit probably has the best molded wing I've seen, the trailing edge comes out so thin, it makes the AZ and SH wings seem so clunky. That said, I'm planning a bubble top Mk 27 using an AZ Mk XVI fuselage and SH wing. I'm thinking of RAAF Korean War markings and armed with rockets.

The Spitfire Mk 26 has got some blue racing stripes now.

IMG_3234_zpshxp1kx0u.jpg

• Like 5

That looks very nice too - you're certainly 'getting the hang of this' now Cookie. Great work :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Spitfire 26 is finished, and no Sarlacc incidents. I went ahead and foiled the cowling and added prop blades from the Special Hobby Mk 21.

It's supposed to be in the guise of a post-war racer, as the Mk 26 would have been plenty fast at low level.

IMG_3781_zps7gjgbohh.jpg

IMG_3779_zps1cg1uhtr.jpg

IMG_3777_zpskqtv0cnl.jpg

IMG_3774_zpsjgj1zvqz.jpg

IMG_3768_zps6av4ufys.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

On 7/09/2016 at 6:51 AM, Procopius said:

While Mrs P didn't say no to my request for her to adorn herself like Slave Leia, it hasn't happened yet and I can't spare her.

Ah, Princess Leia in slave costume, now you've got my attention. :D

Very nice Spitfire too btw Cookie, nice to see something outside the square. :thumbsup:

Steve.