Imaging software for a Mac?

Tony C

Hi all,

Late last year, I decided to buy a Mac and wonder if anyone out there can recommend a software package for use on it?

I have been using Paint Shop Pro on my PC, for many years and like the fact that I can browse all the pictures saved in a folder at one time, so I would also like this option with the Apple software as well.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Tony

Apologies for the delay in acknowledging your input but thanks for the answers, it's appreciated!

Not a fan on the iPhoto software (probably because I'm not used to the format), but will have a look at Lightroom.

Cheers,

Tony

I would strongly recommend Adobe Lightroom creative cloud i.e LR CC , main reason being you get instant updates , seamless interface and a few controls/sliders not in other versions , as a photographer myself i find the dehaze slider very useful indeed

I subscribe on a renewable monthly contract that i can cancel at any time, much easier on the pocketbook than buying outright

Good luck !

• 4 months later...

I have been a graphic designer, have been for more years than I care to imagine. I use Photoshop everyday, expensive but, nothing comes close to it. For browsing images, as others have said, Lightroom is perfect.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Thanks for that, I'll have look later as I still haven't yet made a decision!

What, me, indecisive, err... let me think about that :)

Tony,

What do you want to do with the software? Is it just for viewing and printing, or cataloguing or for full blown editing and post processing? What is the format of the image files are you loading in?

I recently bought an iMac which I use for photo processing and looked very carefully at many options for photo software. Eventually my choice was determined by what I wanted to do with my images.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Nothing professional, as mentioned earlier, on my PC I currently use PaintShop Pro which allows me to browse all the pictures held in one folder and I have dabbled with Photoshop Elements but not to a great extent!

I tend to save images for modelling reference, viewing pictures that I have taken at shows or sporting events and the functions that I use most are, colour balance, contrast, saturation, colour correction, fade correction, rotate, resize, grey scale and the clone brush and the ability to catalogue would be great although, there are also other functions available that I use to a much lesser extent!

As formats, I currently use .jpeg but the ability to use .raw images could be of interest at sometime in the future.

Due to my work commitments, I don't really have enough time available to spend loads of time and would not wish to go down the monthly subscription path, as it would not be heavily used but I'm not adverse to paying for software, if it gives me similar functionality as PaintShop!

I have to admit though, that I still haven't really explored the software provided with my Mac.

Tony

Edited by Tony C