Matt varnish recommendation sought

TheBaron

Afternoon all.

Seeking the collective wisdom of the forum regarding what Matt varnish people have found most reliable for the final top coat. I'd be airbrushing it on after using Tamiya acrylic paints, gloss coat of Pledge/Klear, decals and oil wash, so something that won't cause any reaction with these. Also, what ratio of thinner to varnish is appropriate to use with airbrushing generally?

I know there's a lot of of varnishes out there but as a recent returnee to modelling after over three decades I'm a bit confused by all the potential choices.

Tony

I use Humbrol Matt from the bottle. It does get gunky in the bottom of the bottle though. Been using it for years. I've had my current bottle for 5 years now. I thin mine with good quality white spirit and it sprays flawlessly every time. Other varnishes are available however.

• Like 1

I use Humbrol Matt from the bottle. It does get gunky in the bottom of the bottle though. Been using it for years. I've had my current bottle for 5 years now. I thin mine with good quality white spirit and it sprays flawlessly every time. Other varnishes are available however.

Thanks for your reply Darby, I'll give the Humbrol a bash.

Cheers,

Tony

Daler-Rowney Cryla artists varnish. Available at high street shops at high street prices. Very similar to Humbrol in that it needs mixing well as the matting agent settles out at the bottom. Part mixing gives a nice satin sheen too. Not water soluble though. You'll need turps or white spirit to thin it and clean up with.

Thanks for all the info lads. I might have to work my way through all of these over the next few builds. That's what's nice about this forum, the sudden proliferation of choices you're faced with on the next buying trip...

Cheers,

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for W&N Galleria acrylic varnishes. The Matt is very matt but I like it, thinned with water 50/50 and sprayed at 15psi for me.

Oh, and it's good value! Check your local art suppliers.

• Like 2

Humbrol Matt coat.......................... does what it says on the bottle :)

Does a certain amount of self levelling. Use fine mist coats when airbrushing ...thin well. :coolio:

It's idiot proof :winkgrin:

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1

Humbrol Matt coat.......................... does what it says on the bottle :)

Does a certain amount of self levelling. Use fine mist coats when airbrushing ...thin well. :coolio:

It's idiot proof :winkgrin:

What ratio of thinner to Matt coat would you recommend Jenko?

What ratio of thinner to Matt coat would you recommend Jenko?

I know this might sound a bit daft....but..... I just put some white spirit in until it fills the bottle up near to the top ....shake very well and as long as it looks the consistency of milk ...I'm ready to go.

I usually have a bottle that is thinned and keep topping up with new varnish and white spirit when needed. I go with the flow ....sorry not meant as a pun :winkgrin:

It's something you just get a feeling for.

Dick

• Like 1

I know this might sound a bit daft....but..... I just put some white spirit in until it fills the bottle up near to the top ....shake very well and as long as it looks the consistency of milk ...I'm ready to go.

I usually have a bottle that is thinned and keep topping up with new varnish and white spirit when needed. I go with the flow ....sorry not meant as a pun :winkgrin:

It's something you just get a feeling for.

Dick

Cheers Dick.

Your mixing process matches my own methodology in such things so no apologies necessary :)

Fascinating how often we refer to food analogies, my own approach to mixing panel washes with oil paint is that it's good to go when it's the colour and consistency of black coffee...

Thanks again,

Tony.

Edited by TheBaron

The mattest matt varnish I use is Testors Dullcote lacquer. I thin it 50/50 with Mr Color Thinner. It can turn Alclad Chrome into dull weathered Russian aluminium! Over a satin or matt finish, it practically sucks the light in.

Otherwise I'm happy with plain old Xtracrylix matt varnish.

• 1 month later...

Is that Humbrol Matt Cote?

I'm looking for something to brush on after primer, Vallejo acrylic, Humbrol Clear and Humbrol wash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went through several options until I discovered W&N Acrylic Matt, a quick shake of the bottle to mix (there is no thick gunk to try to dissolve) it has a milky colouration and consistency and goes on so smoothly with a brush I've never bothered to airbrush it! Oh and it is superb value for money.

• Like 1