Curse You Red Baron +++ Completed +++

So there I was - Admiring all your efforts on this GB and wondering what I could build that hadn't been built two or three times already.

Like many of you I'd picked up all of the starter kits that Aldi have been selling over the last couple of Christmasses and the only one in my stash that hasn't been built already is the Gnat. I didn't fancy the chance of the paint working very well though.

So I had to pop to the local LHS and after some deliberation picked up this.....

25898602990_be52622878_c.jpg

I built the old Revell DVII a couple of years back - including painting all the lovely lozenge camo - and quite enjoyed it, then picked up the new Airfix EII at the P'Boro show so it had to be this.

I hope the plastic's red - It'll make paint coverage a lot easier.

26145500426_e0f74bd26c_c.jpg

Yippee!

Upon further inspection it turns out that it's a relatively recent kit as well - I was expecting something of 60's vintage, and it looks like that there may be trouble ahead trying to remove delicate parts off sprues with the tools allowed under the rules.

25566688044_9acff95d2b_c.jpg

I assume that these meet the requirements - apologies for the blurry picture.

Will start it on Monday.

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 4

So - First bit of work done.

Some of the parts are tiny and thanks to Darby's warning I paid special attention to removing the pipework that is located on the back of the engine, all came out in one piece thankfully. Some gluing carried out while components were still on sprues along with painting.

Painting - The three pots of paint are Red, Mid Grey and Ochre which gives you little option than to do Manfred von Richthofen's mount, as opposed to his brother's whose markings are also included.

Using the supplied paint I've painted the inside in ochre and drybrushed the interior detail in mid grey prior to gluing the cockpit components in.

26240335121_f6ac8d5466_c.jpg

Painted with two or three light coats, thinned with water, they appear to have behaved OK without primer, there is some water staining apparent in the red coats but I'll be revisiting them next time.

10p piece included for scale purposes.

Fuselage has been glued together since but no photo yet - It's a lovely little kit but also getting to the limit of my vision, been having difficulty focussing on it today.

More next week.

IanJ

• Like 2

Monday lunchtime progress. It's going together quite quickly.

Wish they'd put a pot of darker grey or black in instead of the bluey grey though.....

26280029082_88422a18e2_c.jpg

26280021072_0c84775661_c.jpg

• Like 2

Tuesday's progress.....

26317954552_7d356453d9_c.jpg

Wish all my builds were this quick....Cabane struts may have been attached back to front but doesn't seem to make too much difference.

IanJ

• Like 2

Today,

Decalling - With the matt finish of the paint I fear that the decals will silver over the next day or so....Like the plane's face and the enormous moustache though.

26137449690_e78a40fa62_c.jpg

And final assembly,

26344115251_b5090d1975_c.jpg

Top wing went on without too much of a fight, propellor axle could do with shortening but prop is jammed in place and won't come off. :banghead:

We'll call this one done. :)

• Like 3

Just found this WIP. Great work Ian and lightning fast!

What s lovely little kit-think you've inspired me to get one for the stash. :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1