My Royal Navy Battle of Britain Build

Lovely models! I am particularly intrigued by Dawson Paul's L1035, as I never really managed to establish the individual aircraft code for that machine, save for a painting by Ivan Berryman (I think!) which depicted it as N. Do you have any info on whether it was coded D that you might care to share, as there is precious little information on No. 64's Spitfires during 1940?

Best regards,

Mark.

Really nicely done, I particularly like that you have given them all some weathering and wear. For some reason a lot of people model Spitfires as if they were pristine museum pieces as opposed to hard worked war machines.

Duncan B

Lovely models! I am particularly intrigued by Dawson Paul's L1035, as I never really managed to establish the individual aircraft code for that machine, save for a painting by Ivan Berryman (I think!) which depicted it as N. Do you have any info on whether it was coded D that you might care to share, as there is precious little information on No. 64's Spitfires during 1940?

Best regards,

Mark.

Bugger!!! To my shame, from reading this I realised I had not really any research done on the aircraft Letter. The image I took for my guide was from a Falklands Island postage stamp of all things that shows SH*D. L1035 should be in B scheme which I have tried to emulate and the Sqn Line Book does not mention Airframe Codes (do any of them?)... Does this mean I need to do a repaint?

The painting was the only thing I could find which made any reference to the individual code letter. Whether the artist had any information we don't, i have no idea. He may well have had the same one in twenty-something (I think a few may have been identified) as the rest of us!

There isn't an awful lot of information on No. 64 Squadron's Spitfires during 1940. The best images I have seen were from a Pathé newsreel, taken at Kenley. I managed to get several stills from the newsreel and it looks like they may have painted out the serial numbers, which obviously makes identifying the aircraft even harder! I shan't post the images here, as they are copyrighted, but they are in my photobucket site www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/lasermonkey . You'll find them in the drop-down list on the left hand side under wartime spitfire pics, under the sub folder No 64 squadron. The painting I found is on there as well.

To be honest, I wouldnt worry too much about it. You've done a great job on those models and IMHO, absolutely nailed the colours and wear!

Best regards,

Mark.

The painting was the only thing I could find which made any reference to the individual code letter. Whether the artist had any information we don't, i have no idea. He may well have had the same one in twenty-something (I think a few may have been identified) as the rest of us!

There isn't an awful lot of information on No. 64 Squadron's Spitfires during 1940. The best images I have seen were from a Pathé newsreel, taken at Kenley. I managed to get several stills from the newsreel and it looks like they may have painted out the serial numbers, which obviously makes identifying the aircraft even harder! I shan't post the images here, as they are copyrighted, but they are in my photobucket site www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/lasermonkey . You'll find them in the drop-down list on the left hand side under wartime spitfire pics, under the sub folder No 64 squadron. The painting I found is on there as well.

To be honest, I wouldnt worry too much about it. You've done a great job on those models and IMHO, absolutely nailed the colours and wear!

Best regards,

Mark.

Thanks Mark - I'll photograph the stamps and post them as they are quite fascinating as mini works of art. One of the things I set out to do was show the contrast between SLt Dawson-Pauls heavily used Spitfire and SLt Blakes just back from the MU Soitfire which I hope I've captured.

All,

Thank you for your kind comments , I really enjoy the research and trying to recreate a specific aeroplane. Hopefully also I have made a bit of recognition to the FAAs contribution to the Battle of Britain..

Cheers

Phil.

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

The decals are from an Xtradecal set. From a thread from way back there was a response to a question I asked from Tony Walton who managed to identify the "England Expects" Hurricane as LE*V rather than LE*T as shown in the pack.

Could you clarify from where Tony Walton came by this info as it has eluded the rest of us for some time? There has been much debate about the serial number on here but no real conclusive proof was given.

Nice models by the way.

Mick

Could you clarify from where Tony Walton came by this info as it has eluded the rest of us for some time? There has been much debate about the serial number on here but no real conclusive proof was given.

Nice models by the way.

Mick

Take a look here..

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988953-fleet-air-arm-in-battle-of-britain-forgotten/page-3?hl=+gardner%20+242

Inspirational, that is all I can say. Mediocre is, most assuredly, a word that is totally inappropriate in the context of these models. You are Sir, an excellent craftsman and should not undervalue the creatively of your work. Thank you. (Not least because I consider you a very worthy individual to emulate!).