F-14 Tomcat : All done 16/04

specky

Hi everyone

This as been on a shelf in my LMS for years, and this morning I noticed that it had made its way into the 'clearance bin', so I gambled on its eligibility and thanks to Daz, here it is!

004_zpsxkampw6j.jpg

Compared to Airfix starter sets, Revell dropped the ball a little by providing paint for 2 schemes, but not really enough for either, so a little 'artistic licence' will be in order to try and make up for the lack of anything metallic for the jet pipes, for example.

I'm not normally able to do this much model making, but with some time off work, coinciding with a spell of poor weather, I'm able to keep returning to the bench every 2 or 3 hours and fiddle around a little more - result!

About to get started

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 4

Compared to Airfix starter sets, Revell dropped the ball a little by providing paint for 2 schemes, but not really enough for either, so a little 'artistic licence' will be in order to try and make up for the lack of anything metallic for the jet pipes, for example.

Also the major difference that I can spot is that the Airfix Starter sets are completely different decal options to their "normal" boxed brethren. Where as the Revell ones are the same regardless with some paint, glue and a horrible brush slapped in.

I'm trying to remember if this is the same kit as the Super Tomcat which is a great model (I have 10 at home). I'll be watching this with interest and will be offering tips as and when I remember them :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

My son built one of these. Nice little kit and went together well.

Also the major difference that I can spot is that the Airfix Starter sets are completely different decal options to their "normal" boxed brethren. Where as the Revell ones are the same regardless with some paint, glue and a horrible brush slapped in.

I'm trying to remember if this is the same kit as the Super Tomcat which is a great model (I have 10 at home). I'll be watching this with interest and will be offering tips as and when I remember them :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi guys,

thanks for showing an interest. Can I pick your collective brains?. It will be sitting on its 'feet', so does it need weight in the nose?

Craig

Generally, anything on tricycle undercarriage will need at least a little noise weight. Instructions will generally let you know but I know revell's aren't always great.

My son built his "in flight". I stick nose weight in everything that doesn't have a tail wheel.

Generally, anything on tricycle undercarriage will need at least a little noise weight. Instructions will generally let you know but I know revell's aren't always great.

Cheers guys, no mention of the need in the instructions, but 'better safe than sorry' and all that! Not that there's much room, but every little helps

Craig

Hi again.

So, whilst waiting for paint to dry elsewhere, I've made a start on this by checking out the paint

My first encounter with 'Aqua Color' and first impressions are very positive, both the white and grey went onto bare, black plastic without fuss or drama.....

007_zpszdkwuu5c.jpg

...after 2 coats, the grey is solid and the white will be good after 1 more. I would like to try some more of these, but only there're only available locally in 'Model sets' - shame!

Since they seem go down ok, I'm going for the 'classic' grey-over-white 'Tomcat' scheme, but since Revell don't supply the correct grey and the rules don't allow substitutions, you'll have to accept the slight inaccuracy, just as I will!

Whilst I had the box opened, it would have been rude not to test the glue - which is lovely and it has a nice applicator for really accurate....application!

006_zpsc65p0pb8.jpg

Unfortunately, after this shot, I dropped it and snapped the 'swing wing' synchronisation gear internally - what a pain because that was a really cool feature. The wings still move - just not together.

More to come

Craig

• Like 1

Hi guys,

thanks for showing an interest. Can I pick your collective brains?. It will be sitting on its 'feet', so does it need weight in the nose?

Craig

Yes mate you will, esp if you are gonna have the wings swept back. It is the same kit as the Super Tomcat, a great little model. Can't you mix the colours to make the grey you require?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Yes mate you will, esp if you are gonna have the wings swept back. It is the same kit as the Super Tomcat, a great little model. Can't you mix the colours to make the grey you require?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Cheers for the confirmation re the weight and I'll certainly try to mix something, but with only black, white and light grey to work with, my options are somewhat limited

Craig

Cheers for the confirmation re the weight and I'll certainly try to mix something, but with only black, white and light grey to work with, my options are somewhat limited

Craig

No worries, re the weight. As for the grey, just say it's the scale effect? :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Hi everyone

I've been fiddling with this through the day and have the airframe assembled. No in progress photos I'm afraid, there was no point - it was just black plastic!, but I have laid on a couple of thin coats of grey as an all over base coat to get the party started...

011_zpsp4epyjyi.jpg

As I mentioned on an earlier post, I'm planning the grey over white scheme, so next job is to try for a clean coat of white on the underside - not easy with a brush, even if it is double-ended!

Back to work tomorrow, so this will be a 'slow cooker'

Cheers

Craig

• Like 2

Looking good so far craig.

Good luck with the white. You should be ok with a few thin coats.

Bet it's a bit small, I have a 1/144 f-15 somewhere, and that's tiny. Did yours have a cockpit with it?

Matt

Looking good so far craig.

Good luck with the white. You should be ok with a few thin coats.

Bet it's a bit small, I have a 1/144 f-15 somewhere, and that's tiny. Did yours have a cockpit with it?

Matt

Hi Matt,

it happens to be on the bench near the 1/72 Me 109 I've just finished and with the wings extended, the 2 are almost the same in span and length, so bigger than I expected, but still rather smaller than I'm used to working with.

It does have a 'basic' cockpit with decals for the IP's and side consoles, but they were never going to conform over lots of odd angles without some assistance, so I painted black 'panels' in their place.

The initial coats of grey has revealed a couple of visible seams and such like, so a little more prep before trying for the white.

Craig

Looking really good there Craig. :) I remember the cockpit being very limited when I built it (when I had come back to the hobby) so I added a hud from clear sprue off cuts and ejector hand pullys. See below

25637443053_19a55278f5_b.jpg

25637442253_e1297f3f6e_b.jpg

Hopefully this will give you some ideas/inspiration, Craig? The Hud might be easy to do, the pull handles... stretched sprue??? Please excuse my dodgy paint work. I will revisit this one again one day soon.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

Hi Craig

Great to see the build underway.

Come on what did you pay to rescue this one from the bargain basement at your LMS ?

I wouldn't worry about the gizmo breaking that folds both wings together, it doesn't spoil you doing the sound effects as you fly it around the modelling bench, that's the important thing !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Looking really good there Craig. :) I remember the cockpit being very limited when I built it (when I had come back to the hobby) so I added a hud from clear sprue off cuts and ejector hand pullys. See below

25637443053_19a55278f5_b.jpg

25637442253_e1297f3f6e_b.jpg

Hopefully this will give you some ideas/inspiration, Craig? The Hud might be easy to do, the pull handles... stretched sprue??? Please excuse my dodgy paint work. I will revisit this one again one day soon.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

nice collection and thanks for sharing. Don't beat yourself up on the paint work, I think that's a very well executed representation of a very intricate scheme on what I know is a very small model!

Thanks for the suggestions on super-detailing, but be aware, they don't call me 'Mr Sausage-fingers' because I work at Greggs the bakers!

Hi Craig

Great to see the build underway.

Come on what did you pay to rescue this one from the bargain basement at your LMS ?

I wouldn't worry about the gizmo breaking that folds both wings together, it doesn't spoil you doing the sound effects as you fly it around the modelling bench, that's the important thing !

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

it was marked down to £2.50, but I've realised its best to shop there around the end of the month when he is usually scratching to find the rent and is open to a bit of 'negotiation'. A pile of stuff onto the counter got me 20% off the lot!

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Dazz,

nice collection and thanks for sharing. Don't beat yourself up on the paint work, I think that's a very well executed representation of a very intricate scheme on what I know is a very small model!

Thanks for the suggestions on super-detailing, but be aware, they don't call me 'Mr Sausage-fingers' because I work at Greggs the bakers!

Thank you for the kind words Craig. I've got lots of these to build, so I'll see what I can come up with :) I wouldn't sell yourself short, I reckon you could do better than me from what I've seen thus far :)

The greggs comment did make me laugh :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi everyone,

a truly ridiculous number of coats has finally produced a reasonable 'depth' to the white, but even very thin acrylic has pretty much obliterated the very fine recessed detail - that's a real shame!

004_zpscn58iqu5.jpg

Still trying to come up with a reasonable representation of Gull Grey' from my limited palette, so in the end, you may have to squint a bit!\

\

Craig

• Like 1