RAF RE8, Airfix, 1:72 - FINISHED!

Thanks Martin!

I had another good day at the bench today.
I tidied up the underwing areas where the rigging had been fitted by gently sanding them down, and then spot treated the dark ares where the ends of the rigging lines are with a tiny dab of white before gently applying thinned CDL to the areas - I am now much happier with how those look.

The exhausts were fitted and the support struts added using .010" plastic rod. Tiny dabs of Mr Dissolved Putty blended the exhaust manifolds into the exhausts and the support struts to the wings, they were all then carefully touched up. I still need to give a little dry brush of rust colour to the manifolds to finish them off, and add the carb heat pipes to the left side.
35719567305_aab91b6414_c.jpg

35332496450_6fcb783b1a_c.jpg

The wing decals were then finished off, both upper....
35719565555_4226404da9_c.jpg

and lower...although unfortunately Airfix still supply all four roundals with a white outer ring, so I had to carefully remove it from the underwing ones with a scalpel....even then they only JUST fit - a little too big actually, but since the colours don't match any of the aftermarket ones I have I had to go with them.
35332495220_29aae245fc_c.jpg

My final job today was to finish painting the prop, just the decals to go now on that.
35550857052_41fe9bb6eb_c.jpg

Ian
Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 10

Thanks gents, much appreciated!

Steve - don't bury it, get on with it - all I've done is made a couple of saw cuts and added an engine...well, maybe a little more, but that's basically it....

We're almost on the home straight now!

I've built and fitted the tailskid, knocked it off, reattached it, and today I added the last of the decals....

34877999954_69bc31286f_c.jpg

35332153320_f23cca8d0b_c.jpg

Since it was a Standard built machine, I added Standard prop logos too...

35550514212_03688604c4_c.jpg

They come from LF Models' beautiful range of prop logos.

Not much left now: tail rigging, wheels, and guns...that's about it!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Oh, and I got cleared to fly again today!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

Gents, thanks so much....I now declare this build CLOSED!

The tail rigging was completed today: guide pulleys are .010" card and I used a 1mm punch. They are clamped in some waste PE from a set of control horns which was just folded in half and slipped over the stamped out "pulleys". The Lewis and prop were all that were needed after the rigging was finished and they went on without any hitches. The finish is not my best, I really need to pay more attention to that in future. I tried for the double rudder wires, but I couldn't get a consistent gap between them so I left it at one wire per side.

Anyway, here are some pics:

35550556532_464cba2324_c.jpg

35550852982_fac6f073d8_c.jpg

35332493160_ce6516e3fd_c.jpg

35588384561_cbdeec24cb_c.jpg

I'll try for some decent outdoor shots tomorrow and post a completed build.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement on this one, I certainly think she's a little bit of an improvement over the basic kit!

Thanks for looking in.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 9

Thanks John.

Please assure your ole man that he will be fine. My eyelid was taped closed after the op to protect the eye, since the local anaesthetic meant I couldn't keep it closed. I was told to remove the tape about 3 hours later and start using the drops - there are LOTS of drops! I could see out of it straight away. The only restrictions are no heavy lifting or bending from the waist, and not to get the eye wet for a couple of weeks. other than that, I hope to be back flying after a week...

Ian

Sorry for the late reply, my notifications are off. Thanks for the info? I'll pass on to the old boy, he'll be relieved for sure. :D

Given perhaps a decade of practice I hope that I might eventually begin to aspire to the quality of 'not your best'.

I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this one come together Ian, it looks fantastic.

The finish is not my best, I really need to pay more attention to that in future.
  • Like 2

Realy love that,I would love to see another one built straight out of the box as intended,parked next to it, just too see the difference.

Edited by fatalbert

Marvellous! There isn't much Airfix left! That's a tour de force of advanced modelling techniques. I have really enjoyed the thread. And I'm glad your eye op went well.

It looks somehow even more ungainly than the unmodified Airfix kit...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Many thanks everyone! It was a fun build and shows that some of these old clunkers can indeed be given a new life!

Realy love that,I would love to see another one built straight out of the box as intended,parked next to it, just too see the difference.

I have one i built a few years ago which only received some minor detail improvements - no structural changes at all. I will post some pics of them together in the completed section.

Ian

• Like 1