RAF RE8, Airfix, 1:72 - FINISHED!

Hi all,
Another day of detailing the fuselage today. I added the fuel tank straps and caps, then scribed the rear edge of the tank.

35719304455_03348b8b97_c.jpg

That sorted out the top side, so I went underneath. The slots for the aileron cables were added, then I drilled the mounting points for the undercarriage and the vent/drain holes at the rear of the cowling.

35550549542_acbd1d054d_c.jpg

I also did the 2 rows on the nose but I used too large a drill so I've filled those and will do them again tomorrow.

Then it was time to sand a couple of small pieces of plastic strip to add the sump and carb covers. I will drill the latter tomorrow to add the intakes.

35588389151_a918f298d2_c.jpg

It doesn't sound like very much when you read it quickly, does it? Anyway, slowly but surely!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 8

Thanks chaps, much appreciated - and the number of likes is not a problem, Fritag, I can assure you!

I finally got the holes drilled in the nose, and all lined up, at the 3rd attempt...then realised that they are too high They're going to stay too high! The trial fit of the engine looked pretty good....
34909780763_7b3e2c7b7e_c.jpg
35332160430_72b6cec3fb_c.jpg
After that, I drilled the mounting holes for the Vickers, and attacked it with PE lacing.....
34877980924_f0122cf739_c.jpg

That's about it...I need to add the camera sight for the observer, and then primer tomorrow to make sure everything is as it should be!

Ian
Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 11

Thanks gents - glad you're enjoying it, Martin.

Just a short update today. I got a coat of primer on it which revealed a little more work to be done on the underside so that was taken care of. I then added another coat of primer, and there are a couple of small issues - one on the nose and a couple round the observer's cockpit. They will be dealt with tomorrow. Other than that, I scribed the joins in the upper wing panels and straightened the wings - The outer wing panels were warped slightly so a little gentle bending was needed to get the leading edges straight. Once they were, I corrected the dihedral.
She certainly looks a lot better with a coat of primer on...
35550575712_49d4b80d02_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Ian
Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 6

I have a collection of WW1 models in the one true scale, made over many years (most of them dating from my school days) which was more years ago than I care to think and then on seeing this masterpiece realise how poor they are. :wow:

Great modelling skills on display here though

Edited by BlanketStacker

This is proper modelling. It should be compulsory reading for anyone who uses words like "unbuildable" on the interwebs.

Nothing is unbuildable if one is determined/bloody minded/stupid enough! Why, I even finished a Merlin Models kit once and have another three parts done! :banghead:

Martin

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback...I'm not sure it's quite THAT good, but I'm certainly happy with it, and glad you all like it!

I have also built a Merlin kit: the 1:72 Thomas-Morse S4c. It wasn't too bad but did need a lot of trimming down. I have the Fokker D.I/D.II double kit, Roland D.II, and Rumpler C.III on the shortlist too......If anyone wants the AEG G.IV or Junkers J.I I have replacements for those so I'd be willing to let them go....

The first thing I did today was as a result of yesterday's post. I decided after seeing the pics that the carb fairing was too big, so I trimmed about 1mm off the rear and thinned the whole thing down a bit. I think it looks much better now.
 I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to proceed today, but decided to get some paint on the fuselage, rather than wait for the wings to be finished and then paint it all at once. First I attached the wing root stubs, then put some grey on the nose (Model Master Neutral Grey). When that was dry, I did the underside with Misterkit RFC CDL. I love those paints, they spray so easily...I just hope I don't have any problems masking it later.....

35588421831_68c0b297c2_c.jpg

There will be more grey to do later, when I add the cover panels to the sides of the engine bay and the bottom of the fuel tank/front cabane struts.
 In between the painting I decided to do some work on the engine. I added the exhaust manifolds, did a little detail painting, and made up the air scoop out of an old beer can. I still need to add the internal baffles to that, but they will be done later. I also cleaned up the kit exhausts - the horizontal part needed shortening slightly and was then rounded off to give a more circular cross-section, the upright will be shortened when it's all together so I don't cut it too short, but it has been flattened out to give more ovoid cross section.

35332159970_0ef72364f5_c.jpg

That's it for today, time for a beer. Thanks for looking in.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

Unfortunately after further trial fitting I've decided the air scoop is too wide, so I'll have to do it again....I also managed to drop the engine today and knocked all the exhaust stubs off! Oh, well, that was just waiting to happen I suppose.....
 I got it all masked and painted yesterday, and managed to drop it while masking. The result of that was to make my first job today, after unmasking, refitting the cockpit internals that dropped out..... :-[ At least with the masking on they couldn't get lost!

So, after that awkward task was completed I got on with some detail painting on the fuselage: fuel tank straps and caps, leather reinforcement around the control cable cutouts, cockpit surround, etc. Then I fitted the engine and added the panels along its sides. The prop was just loosely fitted to help with engine alignment.
34909779013_763611b46d_c.jpg

34877964734_0748eaf463_c.jpg

35332159110_52727dbef9_c.jpg

the final job today was to build the Scarff ring and test fit that. It looks as though a little fettling will be required....

34877978644_d90cb6779b_c.jpg

That's it for today, when the filler on the engine panels is dry tomorrow I'll clean those up and paint them. Then I need to remake that air scoop......
Thanks for looking!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 7

Martin, if not a secret, what models built by Merlin. I do not like I can not finish the Nieuport -12 1/48. 26a8bc3773f1f0871eb342d8d742252b.gif

I built their Scimitar many moons ago and have another nearly ready for paint. I have been building that one as a bet as someone defied me to prove them wrong when they said it couldn't be done.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback...I'm not sure it's quite THAT good, but I'm certainly happy with it, and glad you all like it!
I have also built a Merlin kit: the 1:72 Thomas-Morse S4c. It wasn't too bad but did need a lot of trimming down. I have the Fokker D.I/D.II double kit, Roland D.II, and Rumpler C.III on the shortlist too......If anyone wants the AEG G.IV or Junkers J.I I have replacements for those so I'd be willing to let them go....
The first thing I did today was as a result of yesterday's post. I decided after seeing the pics that the carb fairing was too big, so I trimmed about 1mm off the rear and thinned the whole thing down a bit. I think it looks much better now.
I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to proceed today, but decided to get some paint on the fuselage, rather than wait for the wings to be finished and then paint it all at once. First I attached the wing root stubs, then put some grey on the nose (Model Master Neutral Grey). When that was dry, I did the underside with Misterkit RFC CDL. I love those paints, they spray so easily...I just hope I don't have any problems masking it later.....
002_91.jpg
There will be more grey to do later, when I add the cover panels to the sides of the engine bay and the bottom of the fuel tank/front cabane strut.
In between the painting I decided to do some work on the engine. I added the exhaust manifolds, did a little detail painting, and made up the air scoop out of an old beer can. I still need to add the internal baffles to that, but they will be done later. I lso cleaned up the kit exhausts - the horizontal part needed shortening slightly and was then rounded off to give a more circular cross-section, the upright will be shortened when it's all together so I don't cut it too short, but it has been flattened out to give more ovoid cross section.
6003%2011.jpg
That's it for today, time for a beer. Thanks for looking in.
Ian

Wonderful progress and a beer or three well earned I would say!

Martin

Thanks Martin,
I should have properly test fitted the Scarff ring before painting, instead of just checking that the opening was correct as it turned out the fuselage was slightly too narrow at the top. This meant Mr Dissolved Putty had to be called in to the rescue after I made sure that the top decking was actually flat. It has now been fitted and just needs a little more tidying up, then I'll respray that area when I do the wings.

35719302065_558734f1ea_c.jpg

34909742443_710e8c192d_c.jpg

Of course I managed to knock the map table out again, this time I really thought I'd lost it....I'd given up looking and sat down to start making another one. When I pulled down my desk magnifier I couldn't believe what I found....

35472115700_39cbf60f7f_c.jpg

There it is, sitting on top of the glass down at the bottom! How on earth it got there I have no clue as I was using the magnifier while working!
For my last job today I decided to remake the cowl air scoop, but using .005" plastic sheet instead of the beer can. It was much easier to work with and trim by very small amounts to get it to fit correctly, and I'm very happy with it now. I'll paint it tomorrow....

34877977424_680a57949c_c.jpg

34877967154_be295ae410_c.jpg

Just a little more work needed on the side cowlings too, then that area is sorted.

Thanks for watching!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 7

Coming along nicely, Ian, but what about that vast expanse of clear work space? How do you do it? No matter how hard I try to work "neat" I always seem to end up on the last four or five empty square inches of the green board.

Cheers

Coming along nicely, Ian, but what about that vast expanse of clear work space? How do you do it? No matter how hard I try to work "neat" I always seem to end up on the last four or five empty square inches of the green board.

Cheers

Thanks.....It really isn't that vast...and I still somehow end up using just a small 6" section at the front......

Ian

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

I have made some progress today, even if it's actually put me back to where I was a day or so ago.... I made and fitted the anti-spin strake under the rear fuselage, and I finished blending in the Scarff ring. I then repainted the fuselage, both the PC10 and the grey. I wasn't happy with the grey, I thought it was a little too dark, so it has been redone lighter and I'm much happier with it now.

35588420641_972bb3a5c7_c.jpg

I will now have to repaint the straps and filler caps on the fuel tanks, but that won't take too long. I have also made a little progress on the lower wings: ailerons have been separated and pinned, and I have applied .5mm masking tape for the rib detail. I will paint over those quite thickly to lose the edges, then sand down the tapes. That should give me very small, blended in ridges, to give a little shape to the surface.

35550573012_91ee79a790_c.jpg

I also made a new fin and rudder from sheet stock.
I won't be doing the upper wing just yet as I had some problems with removing the ailerons on the lower wing, so I ordered a new micro-saw. I'll wait for that before tackling the upper ailerons.

That's all for today, it's my birthday so I'm going out for dinner!!

Thanks for looking in.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2