Revell 1/72 Tornado GR4 Dambuster's 70th Anniversary

Hi

My first finished build to be posted up here and I think my it's my fifth or sixth since getting into modelling. This was started as part of the Tornado Group Build last Summer, but progress stalled.

I saw this jet flying with the Lancaster at RIAT and loved the tail design..

This was the Revell GR1 kit with Freightdog GR4 resin parts, Modelmaster Pitot, Eduard Photoetch and Xtradecal Decals (my first use of photoetch and aftermarket decals). I'm still getting to grips with the Airbrush, but I think I'm starting to work it out.

A few things went wrong, the front windscreen cracked, the rear wings broke off a few times, the swinging pylons broke so are now fixed, and I couldn't get the wingtip lights on, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks for looking, any tips for improvements welcome.

Steve

56e44e5c-9d4c-458f-b3bd-008b08d1ffd5_zps

6d3a0a5d-6fea-4d3b-bcb8-5c42000b6d8b_zps

dea32f6a-675d-4fe8-ba13-9966d435bb67_zps

96dfde69-0d78-46c2-8083-197e137da0c4_zps

c598dcfb-7a98-4888-9ddc-b869e82d8d26_zps

09c1a0b3-8204-41c6-9c02-1de62184db12_zps

902bb861-058b-4974-9475-e6cd7ac6e98d_zps

Edited by stevemk1
  • Like 23

You don't need to be worrying about your airbrushing skills, that's a rather fine piece of work right there! Superb, this is a great scheme and you've done it justice alright.

There are some tricky bits to the Revell GR kit. I don't bother with the tail plane pivot mechanism but leave them off until the end and just superglue the edge of the tail plane to the fuselage, you can still use the pivot pin to line it up. I've always found the NLG to be a bit too tall as well and shortened the oleo a touch to correct the sit of the jet.

Hope you've got more of these hiding in your stash, would like to see more.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

You don't need to be worrying about your airbrushing skills, that's a rather fine piece of work right there! Superb, this is a great scheme and you've done it justice alright.

There are some tricky bits to the Revell GR kit. I don't bother with the tail plane pivot mechanism but leave them off until the end and just superglue the edge of the tail plane to the fuselage, you can still use the pivot pin to line it up. I've always found the NLG to be a bit too tall as well and shortened the oleo a touch to correct the sit of the jet.

Hope you've got more of these hiding in your stash, would like to see more.

Rgds,

Eng

Thanks Eng,

I'll certainly take your advice with the tail plane, the idea of having them move is great, but the mechanism seems to be too weak.

I've got one more in the stash at the moment and have the decals to do the XV Squadron 100th anniversary scheme, I'm trying to do builds of planes I've seen at airshows.

59044295-4e9b-4926-b295-0912297b92ac_zps

• Like 2

This pic shows the squatter look of the nose gear too. I've posted my method for shortening it slightly before, I'll try and find the thread if it's still about.

Great work once again and I'll be looking forward to your next build.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Thanks, I see what you mean about the squatter look, it looks quite a bit lower down!

This pic shows the squatter look of the nose gear too. I've posted my method for shortening it slightly before, I'll try and find the thread if it's still about.

Great work once again and I'll be looking forward to your next build.

Rgds,

Eng

Very nice work. I do like the subtle weathering...

Thanks Leonl, I don't know much about weathering yet, am going to have a read of some of the posts in the forum and a play with some spare plastic to try and learn some more.