Matchbox P-47D Thunderbolt. 410th FS, 373rd FG,

A Thunderbolt from my favorite kit manufacturer Matchbox, I already have an olive drab one of these in my collection so this will be the alternative part nmf option.

The kit builds up easy enough, I shall quickly rescribe the fuselage, tone down the wing panel lines and paint.

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

thunderbolt_11.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3

....and welcome aboard with your second one.

I agree it's always nice to see a Matchbox model in a GB, for alot of us these model bring back fond memories! That is a different colour scheme and should look great.

I think George Lucas got the idea of the trenches for the "Death Star" from a matchbox model! They weren't subtle with their panel lines back then!!

Again good luck with this build and I do look forward to seeing her in the gallery as well.

• Like 1

Matchbox as always a pleasure to build, hardly any filler on the joints and the panel lines reduced in size by partial filling.

Olive drab anti-glare area also painted, the next job is complete the assembly of parts and spray with gloss black before alclad.

IMG_2870.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 5

The trusty old Matchbox P-47 has now been spray painted with Alcad white aluminium over gloss black, I know Alclad recommend using grey primer but I prefer black. All is going to plan, invasion stripes are up next.

004.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

I was going to spray the invasion stripes on but changed my mind and applied them by brush using a thinned down mixture of humbrol mattcote and weathering powders.

001.jpg

And then with the tape removed after adding a coat of thinned humbrol mattcote mixed with Testors RAF dark green.

I was looking for an imperfect finish with the lines showing through the green as in the original photo. I chose RAF green rather than o/d as it adds a little variation, it may have been either o/d or RAF green used on the original.

002.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3

What did you fill the panel lines with? When I have used putty and tried to rescribe the panels it always seems to chip out and make a mess.

Greg in OK

The panel lines are pretty fine by Matchbox standards on the Thunderbolt so I just gave them a spray with alclad microfiller and then sanded them down. On other Matchbox kits I use perfect plastic putty and wipe/wash off any filler outside of the panel lines before sanding down. The perfect plastic putty reduces the width and depth while the sanding takes the rounded edge off the top of the panel lines and sharpens them up, it doesn't take long to do this. I think I had to touch the wings up a little with a pin in places but that was about it.

The fuselage had raised panel lines, all I do is use the raised panel lines as guides for scribing and then sand them off, easy peasy and it doesn't take long either.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1

Finished! Well finished as far as the group build goes anyway, it just needs a little tidying up before being put behind glass for eternity.

This little Matchbox Thunderbolt will never have the same level of detail as the modern day kits by such companies as Academy, but it still makes a very nice model for very little trouble.

IMG_2882.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 4

nicely done, it's hard to tell for the photo that she was an old matchbox model, well done she looks great! Plus i do like the colour scheme, something a wee bit different.

Well I'm glad you decided to join us for the GB even at such a late stage. It's a shame the other one wasn't to be but at least you got one nice one finished! I hope you enjoyed the build, it was a pleasure to have you along.

• Like 1

And for good measure in case anyone goes searching for Matchbox on here, a photo of the olive drab option I built the other year, I didn't mess about too much with the panel lines on this one.

IMG_2730.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1