P-47D Thundebolt 345th FS, 350th FG (Revell 1963 kit)

P-47D Thunderbolt built from the Revell's original 1963 kit in it's 1978 boxing, with markings to represent an aircraft of the 345th Fighter Squadron aka The Devilhawks, 350th Fighter Group based at San Giusto, Pisa, Italy during May 1945.

I think the 350th FG was best known for having a Brazilian Thunderbolt unit as one of it's three squadrons.

This was one of my favorite models back when I first built it as a 11 year old, and so when I ran across the same old kit again at Yeovilton I just couldn't resist giving it another go.

The Transfers while very nice are unfortunately incorrect as the tail and cowling markings should be in yellow and blue rather than black and white, plus the serial number should in black rather than yellow. I am considering printing some decals in the correct colours but am a little worried that doing so may spoil the original look of the model as I remember it from childhood.

IMG_2851.jpg

As can be seen by the sprue shots below the kit is very simple with few parts and raised riveting and details. The parts themselves having numerous deep in sink holes, the kit looks altogether very poor, not as I remember it all.

IMG_2853.jpg

A picture of the subject being modeled.

thunderbolt_7.jpg

The decals, good quality but wrong in colour.

IMG_2855.jpg]

This is a very bad fitting kit indeed, the fuselage halves being moulded of very fine plastic the edges of which do not meet correctly. Milliput was placed along the inside of the fuselage joint to hold the whole thing together and give strength. Dry fitting revealed that the wing assembly would not align correctly with the fuselage and so more milliput was added to bridge the gap between wings and fuselage.

IMG_2861.jpg

Edited by old thumper

WOW...welcome aboard!!

I didn't think we would get any more late entries for this build but the popularity of this aircraft surprises me still!

It looks a simple model but by the sounds of it not the simplest to build, hopefully it won't give you too much trouble.

Well good luck with the build, it's nice to have you along and hopefully we'll be seeing her in the gallery.

Well, there are so many things wrong with this kit in so many different ways that I have almost given up with building it. As the photo shows the wings are now attached to the fuselage and the filling and painting of the olive drab areas are both complete.

All I shall do with this kit from now on will be to finish gluing the few remaining parts and spray it silver, there is no point in doing anything else with it.

IMG_2871.jpg

Edited by old thumper

The model is now sprayed with humbrol metalcote, 27002 to be exact which I think is polished aluminium.

It looks as though the finished model will look ok, but only in a very crude Flintstones sort of way. Being as I have 3 Academy and one new tool Revell Thunderbolt in my stash there is no point in my trying to improve on this kit.

IMG_2873.jpg[

Edited by old thumper

I looked at the model and said to myself what is this rubbish. I like old kits and build a lot of them but this one was simply beyond the pale.

At some point I shall build a model of the same aircraft using a nice Academy kit.