1/72 Airfix "Classic" Sea King - FINISHED

Thanks for the comments! I used to paint 54mm figures when I was a teenager and so sometimes I get carried away on the pilots.

I remember building this kit when I was about 12. The day I finished the build was a smorheringly humid August day in Chicago. We had finally gotten an airconditioner that year; a window unit installed in the dining room. I took my sea King with its freshly painted wheels and sat it on the dining table to admire my work and sit in the chill breeze of the AC. We had a spectacular thunderstorm later that day.

Its funny how a model can evoke such deep rooted memories of the way things felt 25 years ago.

Thanks for sharing your build. This is a nice trip down memory lane for me :)

Thanks - I know how it goes. I was at a model show in Cosford on Sunday and I bought an original Airfix moulding Ju87 in a type 3 bag just because I remember my brother building it and flying it around the house in 1960-something! It was a hot day then too. I certainly won't be building it!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work on that nostalgic old kit.

I built quite a few in my yoof. Old 66 of course, a nice glossy blue Royal Navy conversion, and a matt green 'Commando'.

Happy days.

• Like 1

Hello All,

Well it's been a hectic this year, and I've only got about five days at home between now and the end of the GB so I need to crack on. I also lost my camera last month so all the pictures are taken with an iPad.

I was advised that my canopy tint was the wrong colour, so I hedged my bets by mixing up a turquoise-blue from acrylics and Future, and applied it to the cockpit to give a slightly deeper tint than before:

Airfix_Sea_King_new_tint_zpslqamkbck.jpg

It looks a bit rough in isolation against a white background, but it looks fine in place, and I must say I'm happier with the re-do:

Airfix_Sea_King_new_tint_on_zpswi9hr7pa.

The vent at the back of the engine housing needs a bit of love to get over the moulding short cuts. I will be adding the numerous gratings using squares of black decal film later in the build:

Airfix_Sea_King_vent_zpsdhvkxevg.jpg

Undercarriage next. I think the legs are a bit short but I haven't done anything about it because mine will be retracted. I drilled some lightening holes in the webbing to emulate the real thing:

Airfix_Sea_King_undercarriage_zpsolcobe7

"Uh-oh, the wheels have come off..."

Airfix_Sea_King_wheels_off_zpsomzhg4p0.j

The kit is missing this bump so I added it from balsa (picture is pre clean-up!):

Airfix_Sea_King_bump_zpswgu0qcgt.jpg

Somewhat belatedly (after I'd started the white topcoat), I decided to enlarge the intakes. So there's a selection of wheels from a Gnat, 1/144 He 111 and Frog Gannet:

Airfix_Sea_King_intakes_zpsdopsxf11.jpg

The Frog Gannet wheels are made from unbelievably tough plastic, but we got there in the end...

Airfix_Sea_King_intakes_shaped_zps6ajudb

The replacement compressor cones are from Airfix Il-2 missiles. I also reduced the size of the exhausts using little cones made from paper and superglue, all blended in with putty. Should have done this earlier, too!

You can't see it in the photos, but I started with a base of my "dirty white", a pot of white polluted with a tiny amount of grey and brown, and then built up successive coats using progressively whiter mixes of that and pure white. The last coat was a dry brush of almost pure white over the highlights:

Airfix_Sea_King_block_coats_1_zps3esl3dh

The anti-dazzle black does a good job of hiding the too-small windows below the canopy:

Airfix_Sea_King_block_coats_2_zpsiv9izc4

The underside was Humbrol acrylic Gull Grey. You can only get this in the old acrylic pots and it's a bit thick. I should have done thinner coats with more time between them, but time is something I don't have at the moment!

Airfix_Sea_King_block_coats_3_zpsjrqrwpp

For anyone else considering this build, the struts up from the sponsons to the upper fuselage could do with replacing and fairing in to the sponsons with putty, because the bottom end looks a bit weird.

My consolation prize for all this travelling is that I will be across the Bay from the USS Hornet museum in a couple of weekends time, so I can go and look at a real Sea King on the deck!

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 6

Cracking progress Adrian,I,m on with their new tool SAR Sea King at the moment I wonder if this era can be modelled from it,I have fond memories

of rushing out for this kit when it was released and finishing it all in a morning!

• Like 1

Hello All,

I'm away again but here are two pictures from my last modelling session:

Airfix_Sea_King_yagis_zpss2mliuf5.jpg

I made some yagi aerials from 5 Amp fuse wire and superglue. I've also dipped them in future to try to give them a plastic coating. I'm hoping they will be tough enough to survive...

Airfix_Sea_King_number_zpslwfe0oph.jpg

I also painted the large "66" for the Apollo 11 recovery. When I was planning this build, all Hannants had were the decals for the Apollo 12-13 recoveries, which have most of the markings I need but not the right size numbers. SInce I spent my money at Hannants the 8-11 set has been re-released. Oh well...

You can also see the Yagi bracket on the sponson strut. I'm also not sure whether I want to adjust the sit of the tail wheel, which doesn't quite look right.

I have about four days at home between now and June 12th, so this is not a shoo-in for finishing on time. I will try.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 8

Looks great! especially the glazing - very inspiring. I too want to make the Apollo 11 one and couldn't find the decals when I looked, I did get a cheap set of the Gemini 10/11 from eBay which would be different - an overall 'Engine grey' one, but interesting to hear that the Apollo 11 decals have been re-issued.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm finally back from two working weeks in the USA, where I did manage to find a bit of time at the weekend to visit USS Hornet and see its reproduction of "Old 66":

USS_Hornet_66_Replica_zpscuxnadc4.jpg

So I'm back home and on the case (after a spot of gardening). I finally got around to constructing the main rotor. To get all the blades aligned nicely, all I would need is a giant protractor with all 360 degrees marked up very clearly...

I just happen to have such a thing! Out wit h the 72-times table:

Airfix_Sea_King_anglest_zpsbokhb5xm.jpg

I am now on the final straight with this one, so the next posting should be the finished article.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 3

Today was windless and sunny, so I could set up my photo "booth" on the garden table in dappled shade. My wife also kindly located my "lost" camera (wrong cupboard!). So here we are:

Airfix_Sea_King_final_01_zpsg1a5v03q.jpg

Airfix_Sea_King_final_03_zps9s29azdu.jpg

Airfix_Sea_King_final_05_zpsgjyuwr2g.jpg

Airfix_Sea_King_final_07_zpsrlxs0mrg.jpg

Airfix_Sea_King_final_09_zps5xqvimya.jpg

Base is balsa edged with plastic card and a bent piece of coat hanger with a plug to fit in the sonar dipping hole. The thing cries out for a man on the door, a capsule and a dinghy with a couple of divers. The base is designed to accommodate a capsule and dinghy, but in the meantime I put a photo on the base to set the scene.

My first helicopter ever - it's been fun! Thanks for organising the group build.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 12

Absolutely cracking. And from an elderly kit at that. Caught the atmosphere brilliantly.

• Like 1