My new airbrush

rockpopandchips

Very excited just picked up my H&S silverline up from the post office, i have taken it apart and put it all back together and now need to try it out. Its very very easy to taken down so cleaning it not going to be a problem.

It look so nice and shiny........

20160330_113202_zpsr0lb7jr8.jpg

Thanks to Paul for all his help with the purchase.

• Like 4

Had 10 mins in the cave so speayed a bit of water. The difference between how this feels and the Neo is worlds apart. The H&S feels bigger but not heaver and much better balanced. Now i have a brush that works its like starting over again, just getting used to the trigger/air/paint mix is very very different. I know is was water but still very different.

One thing i couldn't get was a thin line(less than 5mm widel), is this normal for sparying water at about 10-12 psi and the 0.2 needle?

Cheers Brian

Edited by rockpopandchips

It turns out that having a descent airbrush doesn't make you a better painter!

I got to try out my new Silverline last night with some paint, first up I tried some Lifecolour Acrylic paint on some paper and it seem I have picked up some very bad habits. I was getting a paint splat then I first pulled the trigger, this was all my own fault as I discovered I didn't stop the paint before the air, so my mantra last night was air, paint, stop paint, stop air when I get it right the airbrush worked a treat. I did get some paint spatters and some spidering as well until I sorted the air pressure and paint thinning. I tried some Model air metallic gun and bronz as well. The gun was not a problem but as with the neo the bronz is a pain to spray.

My first thought of the Silverline are that it feels great in the hand and you can get a great range of spray from the 0.2 needle, I cannot see it being a problem for 1/144 and 1/100 scale Gundam size models. The trigger is very responsive and smooth and this is going to be the thing I need to get used to the most. The trigger does feel very different almost scratchy before you put air and paint through the brush and clean-up was not a problem. I did find that the inside of the standard needle guard/ air cap thing collected paint at quite a rate when I was spraying and it did affect the spray pattern quite a lot if I didn’t keep it clean, with the Infinity style air cap this didn’t happen, I still got dry paint on the tip but this is quite normal when I spray acrylics. I still need to work on the best air pressure to use and thinning of the paints and my general airbrush technique needs some series work but for a first time out with the Silverline I think I’m going to enjoy using it.

This is my first paper practice sheet just so you can see how bad I actually am at using an airbrush.

Brian.

20160404_210613_zps00m7sgze.jpg

I think that when you move to any new tool that's superior to the previous version your first attempts are bound to look, shall we say, less than perfect. The thing is that you've got used to your earlier tool and learned to work through its defects. If a tool is truly better you need to improve your game and I think you're going about it the right way: plenty of practice and lots of small experiments with the variables.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Brian

New 'brush looks like a beauty. I agree with both bhouse and CharlieNZ - practice is the key and you'll get better practice with a 'sacrificial kit' - maybe one of those cheap 'kids' kits from somewhere like The Works?

Have fun and good luck

Kev

• Like 1

Just like a lot of quality tools they take a while to wear in. I have had my Silverline for 8 years now and it works like a sowing machine.

Persevere, practice makes perfect.

• Like 1

Cheers every one.

I have decanted some Halfords primer out of a can in to glass bottle and Im going to spray on older 1/144 Gundam modle as I bit of a practice kit. I will see how the primers spray first and then hit it with some Tamiya paints and if all goes ok I will try some free hand detailing...gulp. Just ran out of cleaner, you get through some paint and cleaner when practicing a lot, I have ordered some Ultimatee AB cleaner to see how that works out.

Well i have gotten around to painting some plastic lastnight, its an old 1/144 gundam i did colour change on. It started out a very bark blue gray. I used Vallejo for the white and Tamyia for the other colours. I started with the Tamyia paint and moved to the Vallejo not something i would normaly do, due to ipa and x20 gelling Vallejo paints.The airbrush did everything i asked and handeled my sloppy cleaning and my none perfect paint thinning very well. It was an absolute pleasure to use.

20160410_084559_zpss7z3vyyi.jpg

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 1