Pacific Sherman Dragon M4A2 1/35

beefy66

OK so not done an Armour build for a while been working on a lot of floating things up until now

So while waiting for my sea base to dry will make a start on this to keep my hand in with my Sherman collection

Dragons Tarawa M4 A2 Marine Sherman

Starting to build up the suspension bogies

IMG_0036_zpsxcaacaaq.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsukuhahjg.jpg

Beefy

• Like 6

I seem to remember some photos of Pacific Shermans with wooden side armour to avoid magnetic bombs and also some Shermans with armour plating added from aircraft wrecks.

Might be a fun add-on in this case. Nice choice of build Keith :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Nice to see more of the M4's being built fella, be interested to see how this turns out,

Not seen a Dragon M4 build for a while.

Dan

My last Sherman build was about 2 years ago A Dragon Firefly VC nice kit but not totally accurate.

I seem to remember some photos of Pacific Shermans with wooden side armour to avoid magnetic bombs and also some Shermans with armour plating added from aircraft wrecks.

Might be a fun add-on in this case. Nice choice of build Keith :thumbsup2:

Have you got you Crystal balls out again Julian :coolio:

you must have been reading my mind I have just been watching the HBO Pacific series again to get some inspiration would like to do one of the 5th battalion Hedgehogs they had nails welded to the turret and around the hatches to stop the Japanese climbing onto the tanks.

But will have to look up some more reference material first to get it right or I could just do an OOB this kit has quite a bit of PE to add and these tanks at Tarawa did not have a very good start to there deployment

Will just get the build underway for now in between other projects :coolio:

Beefy

• Like 1

My last Sherman build was about 2 years ago A Dragon Firefly VC nice kit but not totally accurate.

Have you got you Crystal balls out again Julian :coolio:

you must have been reading my mind I have just been watching the HBO Pacific series again to get some inspiration would like to do one of the 5th battalion Hedgehogs they had nails welded to the turret and around the hatches to stop the Japanese climbing onto the tanks.

But will have to look up some more reference material first to get it right or I could just do an OOB this kit has quite a bit of PE to add and these tanks at Tarawa did not have a very good start to there deployment

Will just get the build underway for now in between other projects :coolio:

Beefy

I loved those two series : Band of Brothers and The Pacific. I'll see if I can find any reference photos this weekend

:coolio::yahoo:

• Like 1

I loved those two series : Band of Brothers and The Pacific. I'll see if I can find any reference photos this weekend

:coolio::yahoo:

Thanks Julian but I think I might just have enough material to get me through on this one I have a little thing about Sherman's :coolio:

IMG_0042_zps2dyltllo.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsp4vui0te.jpg

IMG_0044_zps2kubbkne.jpg

Could use the old coffee stirring sticks for the hull planking but what to use for the nails on the hatches maybe brass rod or sewing pins cut down

Beefy

• Like 1

That is a superb kit.

It will depict a tank from Tarawa, Peleliu, some scattered campaigns and Iwo Jima.

The Marines used the M4A2 quite a bit as diesel was easier to obtain from the Navy. After Tarawa, the large hatch variant became more prevalent.

The 3rd Tank Battalion soldiered on with these small hatch Shermans right through the end on Iwo Jima.

FWIW that "M4A2" depicted as a 5th Tank Battalion vehicle on Iwo was an M4A3. 4th and 5th Tank Battalions had M4A3's by Iwo Jima.

This should be good.

G

• Like 1

Just finishing an academy marine Sherman.

I used some small metal rod for the spikes on the hatches,but I think it's to large for the scale.

Be warned, glueing them on is a real test of patience!!

39C9B502-CF35-4CC8-AACC-A2EC7BADA250_zps

I'll be interested to see how you get on.

• Like 5

I am watching intently as this is a favorite subject of mine.

I drilled an even number of small holes in the hatches. I then used fine wire folded into a "U" shape fed into the holes two at a time from underneath. I secured everything with CA glue. When all was set I trimmed the wire to uniform lengths with clippers.

They were not perfect, nor did they follow a specific pattern, so don't be too picky.

DSCF3419.jpg

G

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip G

I remember you doing this one but I think it would be a waste to not use the kit decals so will go for the intended box cover build of A C company tank just as they hit the beach not had much time at the bench this week but should get some done on Sunday when I can get time off work first day in 3 weeks :yahoo:

Will be looking out for an M4A3 to do the hedgehog at my next show at Perth end of the month

Beefy

• Like 1

OK small update and now have a plan in my head for this build will be building the tank without the plank side armor will put it on a small base with a couple of figures to represent the tank pushing up the beach head supporting the Marines on foot using a Verlinden set of figures they will go towards the rear of the tank for cover

IMG_0086_zpstwhlajha.jpg

Also been adding small details to the running gear X4 holes drilled and will be adding some bolt heads to the return skids not that you will probably see these

IMG_0087_zpsrsi3kxwt.jpg

IMG_0088_zps0egffayh.jpg

Beefy

• Like 4

OK small update and now have a plan in my head for this build will be building the tank without the plank side armor will put it on a small base with a couple of figures to represent the tank pushing up the beach head supporting the Marines on foot using a Verlinden set of figures they will go towards the rear of the tank for cover

IMG_0086_zpstwhlajha.jpg

Also been adding small details to the running gear X4 holes drilled and will be adding some bolt heads to the return skids not that you will probably see these

IMG_0087_zpsrsi3kxwt.jpg

IMG_0088_zps0egffayh.jpg

Beefy

Nice Verlinden add-ons Keith, Keep the updates coming :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Well in my hurry again and not reading the instruction properly I glued in the wrong transmission cover :weep::yikes:

had to carefully remove the other one with lots of bad language coming from the garage and missus Beefy keeping well out of the way :boom:

got it sorted will need a bit of filler adding in some places but OK I think that will teach me ( NOT ) I think this one looks much better a lot more cast detail showing on this version

IMG_2791_zpspgufwinz.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3

Can't see the join mate :winkgrin:

Good start.....

Cheers

K

Just need a little filler on the side joint should be OK when the tracks are fitted

Beefy

Thanks G nearly had a flying Tank moment when I discovered what I had done :banghead::banghead:

Started on the figures and more work on the turret

Some real nice detail on this kit raised weld seams and casting marks on already nice touch

IMG_2794_zpss0bhjpoh.jpg

IMG_2795_zps20ggga10.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3