Airfix 109 - all done 03/04

specky

Hi again,

having rediscovered my mojo, which was found hiding behind the sofa, I'll try and take advantage of the tiny window of opportunity before 'Red Storm' with this little rascal....

001_zps08fj4sx2.jpg

...purchased in preparation for last years BoB GB, but it never got a look in.

No fuselage 'mottling' - result! and a straightforward looking build - what could possibly go wrong?

Cheers

Craig

Edited by specky

Did one of these just last year. Should pose no problems so long as you don't do what I did and snap one of the elevator struts.

In seriousness, it's a decent kit, nice and easy to build so have fun.

• Like 1

Nothing at all you mean you're not building a vampire? Seriously good choice

Hi Daz, I have 'that' Vampire set in the stash and although the plastic looks great, the thought of trying to brush the acrylic silver just doesn't appeal to me at all!

Did one of these just last year. Should pose no problems so long as you don't do what I did and snap one of the elevator struts.

I've made a start with the basic interior painting and you're right - its a decent looking kit, its just a shame there aren't enough colours to get the best from it!

Cheers

Craig

Could've been worse... you could've done what I did and loose both of them entirely! Bloody carpet monster!

I built one of these last year for a friend and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. I am having trouble trying to remember what I had trouble with (bar the carpet monster)... nope nothing. The elevator struts and the control column will be difficult without a microsaw but nothing impossible. Oh yeah watch out for the wing guns! Are you planning to have the engine exposed?

Looking forward to watching this one :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Could've been worse... you could've done what I did and loose both of them entirely! Bloody carpet monster!

I built one of these last year for a friend and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. I am having trouble trying to remember what I had trouble with (bar the carpet monster)... nope nothing. The elevator struts and the control column will be difficult without a microsaw but nothing impossible. Oh yeah watch out for the wing guns! Are you planning to have the engine exposed?

Looking forward to watching this one :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz ,

cowling glued in place I'm afraid - there really aren't enough colours in the set to do the motor justice and its a pretty big brush!

Edited by specky

Hi everyone.

So, made a start last night, but in the excitement, I closed the fuselage without taking any photos - sorry! All I can say is that after a double check of the instructions, I appear to have painted the instrument panel the wrong colour, but if that's the worst thing that happens, I'll call it a result

001_zpsstppbi9f.jpg

And as you can see, the wings were also assembled.

A little more this evening sees it pretty much ready for some paint...

005_zpsv4pszjgo.jpg

006_zps7jyza05p.jpg

...I really am liking this kit, but even after being warned, I still managed to break the port tailplane bracing strut :banghead: but fortunately, its under a bit of compression so even 'tube' poly cement has made a decent repair

Not sure if I will bother with these...

007_zpsgxy5inih.jpg

....parts 14 & 15, the aileron balance weights, look like a bit of a mission to clean-up and I don't rate their chances of surviving an encounter with a #2 sized brush.

More to come

Craig

• Like 2

Live on the edge Craig, put the weights on. :D

Looking good so far, keep it up.

Yeah it wouldn't be a 109 without a missing weight

OK, if you insist, but peer pressure really is the worst, isn't it?

Edited by specky

Hi everyone,

well, I am officially in love with Humbrol 65! By an enormous margin, the nicest of the acrylics I've used on this, the Mustang or any other previous build. So good, in fact, that I've used it as a primer for the whole exterior.

Apologies for the rubbish photos, but I was trying to get them before the natural light failed.....

002_zpsnimemel3.jpg

....upper surface, one coat. Its a little 'streaky', but it stayed where I put it onto bare plastic without beading.....

003_zpskmohovay.jpg

...lower surface after a second, really thin coat, because that's all it needed - lovely! The camera has picked-up slight streaks in the colour, but in the flesh they're just not visible.

Next time I'm any where near the only LHS that sells this stuff, I'm getting me a full sized.....pot? Is that what they call them?

Really enjoying this now

Craig

Edit: I had to go and double check in an old Airfix catalogue, and they do refer to them as 'pots', but oddly, they also call the enamel tins 'pots', which is complete nonsense - they have always been and will always be 'tins'! - I blame Hornby!

Edited by specky
  • Like 2

Glad to hear it! I invested in a tin of the proper luftwaffe shade for mine and it turned out a nightmare so I probably should have stuck with what's there.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it! I invested in a tin of the proper luftwaffe shade for mine and it turned out a nightmare so I probably should have stuck with what's there.

Hi Stosh,

I'm pretty sure its not a 'proper' Luftwaffe shade, from the days before they added their interpretation of RLM colours to the range, but it lays down nice, dries quick and will do nicely as a primer on other builds

Craig

Hmmm as a builder of mainly luftwaffe aircraft. I do have a take on this..

If it looks like a duck, it's a duck

If it looks like Rlm 65, it's close enough I have 4 different manufacturers rlm 65 and they are all different. But by the time it's weathered and faded and flatted down its rlm 65. So if you like it use it

• Like 2

I'm not overly picky as to paint shades either but I needed some for another build and it seemed silly not to get it as I've got a couple of other luftwaffe kits there. But I tend to agree use, what you have is generally my motto.

Hi everyone,

so, moving things along, I got the dark grey onto most of the upper surfaces...

001_zpsdigrsrfg.jpg

...followed by some masking and some green

004_zpsr7dqybij.jpg

005_zpsrwa7gpt3.jpg

A little bit of touching in to do, but overall, I'm very pleased with the paint on this one although I do think its 'luck of the draw' with these Humbrol acrylics and on this kit, the paints have been generally well behaved.

More to come

Craig

Hi again,

the 'big' touch ins have been done, decals on and the remaining odds & ends painted....

001_zpsxr1dtjid.jpg

002_zpsgk7qgsxg.jpg

...so assuming they look alright when dry, I can trim the brush down to something finer for the last touch ins and nail it together

Almost there

Craig

Hi everyone,

so, after significantly more 'phaffing about' during final fit up than was anticipated, I'm ready to draw a line under this and call it done.

004_zpsamurx8hb.jpg

Another really nice kit from Airfix, which came as something of a relief since I have at least half a dozen in different boxings in the stash, and if it had turned out to be a dog, I would have been rather upset - to say the least!

For the benefit of Rob G and dazdot, I even went to the trouble of adding the balance weights and pitot tube!

006_zps0xwmijcz.jpg

Despite the questionable colours and 'lite' decal sheet, I'm pretty pleased with this one and when I eventually get around to building one 'properly', the only after market I think it really needs is exhaust pipes, although metal gun barrels would be nice as well!

Thanks for looking and as always, its been a pleasure to have entertained you!

Cheers for now

Craig

(More photos in the gallery)

• Like 4