A few technical questions....Bombay and Demon

HP42

Hi all,

Just a few technical questions really. I bought the Valom Bristol Bombay in desert scheme like this...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/VAL72097

I'm having a bit of a 1930s silver wings phase in my building, so I'd like to make this one...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/VAL72099

The question is, aside decals which are easily overcome here, is there any difference between the kits? Did the silver one have guns fitted? Anything else I need to know about? Am I correct in thinking the skin was stressed metal and the control surfaces were fabric?

I'm also part way through building a Hawker Demon. I could do with a reference for the rear gunner's seat. Am I correct in thinking he could face either way? In which case was he on a swivelling seat or similar? (describe it if no piccys present?)

Thanks in advance!

The rear seat in the Hawker two seaters fitted with a gun ring were all the same. It was for use in transit and not in combat. It took the form of a simple tubular frame which folded down from under the pilots raised seat. The frame has been erroneously called the frame for the radio in one book. Here are two photos from my son Simon's collection complete with desert sand and rat nibbled seat, Please do not re-post these on the internet.

John

img326_zpsqkbstf82.jpg

img328_zpswg7ho3rz.jpg

• Like 5

John, thank you so much for the info, that really helps. It must have been somewhat disconcerting to have undone one's straps in the Demon and then get thrown about in a dogfight. I can't think how the airman would have been able to move about unless removing his harness.

I've been looking on the net and there's a picture of L5809 which is also silver. I wonder if this saw squadron service?

Edit: (Bombay L5809 was with 271 Sqn. Answered my own question!) http://www.rafweb.org/Members%20Pages/Aircraft%20Serials/Operational%20Units.htm

Edited by HP42

The gunner would still have his parachute harness on and when the seat was pushed back he would secure himself to a 'monkey chain' which clips to his harness through his legs and to a ring-bolt on the floor around which he would rotate as he spun the gun ring. The gunner would stand up and flip the seat back and the over centre spring, visible in the photos would lock it into place. I surmise that the Observer-gunner wore a chest type chute which I think was stowed on the shelf where the bungeys are.

• 2 weeks later...

The gunner would still have his parachute harness on and when the seat was pushed back he would secure himself to a 'monkey chain' which clips to his harness through his legs and to a ring-bolt on the floor around which he would rotate as he spun the gun ring. The gunner would stand up and flip the seat back and the over centre spring, visible in the photos would lock it into place. I surmise that the Observer-gunner wore a chest type chute which I think was stowed on the shelf where the bungeys are.

Sorry to butt in on another person's thread but I read this just now and was wondering if the TAG in the Fairey Swordfish had a similar 'monkey chain' to that you mention here. I'm currently building a Stringbag with the intention of having the TAG standing at his Vickers and wanted to get such details right.

Regards all,

Tony

The 'Monkey chain' if fitted must go the the centre of the gunners floor when fitted with a fully rotating gun ring such as the Scarff or Hawker Hi-speed mount so the the gunner can rotate around the centre and not get tangled.

The Fairey Gun mounting fitted to the Naval III.F and Swordfish does not rotate as it is the raised, over centre, swiveling gun type. However I have found a photo of the III.F fitted with a 'Monkey chain' which again goes to the floor and I would think the same arrangement was used on the Swordfish.

John

• Like 1

Splendid John,

I'm indebted to you. I had come across (somewhere, don't ask me where, I've been through so much Stringbag material lately...) a reference to the TAG being tethered in this way as 'gavotting', but you've now visually confirmed the likely detail I need to consider.

I'll go back and look more closely at any cockpit shots I have.

Thanks again,

Tony

Tony, yes the TAG (& Observer, for that matter) in a Stringbag had a similar arrangement. Detailed rear cockpit shots are hard to find, but this might help you:

http://www.martinsammodels.com/webpage/pages/Real%20Aviation/Walkarounds/Swordfish/Swordfish.htm

If you go to the fifth row down and the fifth picture in from the left, there's a really clear picture looking down at the floor of the TAG's cockpit. The circle in the middle of the floor is the attachment point for the "monkey chain".

Edit: actually, that site has some great pictures, albeit of an incomplete aircraft

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Tony, yes the TAG (& Observer, for that matter) in a Stringbag had a similar arrangement. Detailed rear cockpit shots are hard to find, but this might help you:

http://www.martinsammodels.com/webpage/pages/Real%20Aviation/Walkarounds/Swordfish/Swordfish.htm

Spot on Sir. Just the detail I needed. Just have to work out where on my TAG to attach the tether. I'm guessing in term of freedom of movement some kind of belt attachment at the front...

That's a great link, lots of viewing angles I haven't seen before.

Many thanks,

Tony

"I stow my parachute and fix the “monkey chain”. This is a two feet length of flexible steel cable, fas­tened to the bottom of the cockpit, which clips on to the ring at the base of my harness. It is to prevent me fal­ling out during aerial ma­noeuvres!"

From Tony French:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/67/a1951067.shtml

My late father described the same arrangement in Wapitis and the alarming effect of turbulence over the NW Frontier of India on the chap in the back. It was necessary to hold on tight to the gun ring to avoid a yo-yo effect as the aircraft dipped and rose.

Nick

As in Nick's post, the Monkey chain was in fact cable. Pet monkeys were traditionally kept on a light chain or leash and this was the nickname used for the Aircrew tether. Your cable could be represented by fine grey sewing thread, waxed to lay the hairs to make it smooth. There was a carbine clip at both ends and the lower end had a small swivel.

John

• Like 1

John-thanks for that additional detail. Cable suits me better anyway as I'm using a fine braided wire from an old VGA cable (Amazing how many useful different kinds of material one of them produces when you cut them open). It was bothering me as it looks more like cable than chain, smeared with some dark grey to tone it down. This puts a better complexion on things. When the TAG is in place this cable can be easily bent to meet the floor at the correct point in his position.

Tony