Farewell to the Kings

06/24

I've made a gentle start on the power plant for the junglie.

25884997940_8953911aa1_c.jpgPower unit by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Note that the motor cradle cleverly fixes the motor output shaft in the correct angle for coupling to the rotors themselves. What is less good is that one of the two power wires has already come unsoldered so will need a waft of the burny hot thing before I can close the Junglie up.

• Like 4

Nice to see you back at it.

I might break down and get the Sea King. I do have the Cyber-Hobby kit in the stash to do Old number 66 sometime (and got the decal sheet for it) but the RAF rescue scheme just looks fun, uh, other than trying to paint yellow.

Also interested to see how you handle the rotorizing. Have always wanted to do a Huey dio with the guys jumping off and the rotors going but getting the tail one working has always been my stopping point. That and me and electronics don't get along too well.

• Like 1

More good choices, you can't beat a Sea King. Looking forward to seeing how the Mk3 looks, not that I could do a yellow peril but to see what future RN versions would be available. :thumbsup:

Cracking job so far!

Bob

So I guess Ced will be excited by the arrival of the vibrator!

25916841920_6742e8947b_c.jpgProgress by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Tiny they certainly are! And they should fit:

26189705805_6c6dda02a0_c.jpgProgress by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Meanwhile on the HAR 3 progress has been slow, largely due to a nice day out at the Museum of Flight.

But the cabin windows are going in. A word of caution here - they are a very tight fit so any paint in the recess has to come out before they push home. The fit once this was done is excellent - the faintest touch of Tamiya extra thin has secured them.

25587029033_b90bd00d1e_c.jpgProgress by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25587111273_cb880aac89_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

Once the windows are in the floor and roof go in - and then we're ready to close up;

26100948612_dc2b7d687f_c.jpgReady to close up by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25920539870_4908a46010_c.jpgReady to close up by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I've not bothered with belts so far - they will be hardly visible - cockpit might be a different story. Shout now if you think I'm a lazy git and should just man up and fit them!

Have also broken out the Revell boxes and am looking at RN bits. So far I'm thinking I prefer the Airfix moulding in the main, baldy though it is. Might do one Revell just for comparison and use the spare bits to dress up Airfix ones in future.

Jon

• Like 2

Ok, so far today we've finished the HAR 3 interior and closed up:

25646546073_388876bb42_c.jpgRescue packs by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Rescue packs from FIMO clay

26157650842_f75d0ce95b_c.jpgClosed up by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25645313844_cc0740429a_c.jpgHAR 3 interior by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Slightly cruel close up that last one!

And then I got a bit silly:

26250442385_79c097a9cc_c.jpg"Sheepskin" seat covers by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25977599230_97a9d7506c_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Sheepskin covers from suitably coloured felt, doused in PVA and squashed thin, then cut to shape once almost dry. Texture is of course grossly overscale but under the cockpit glass should look ok, I hope.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, for the HC4 I have removed the eccentric weight from the tail rotor motor, and begun work on the interior:

26250217905_53020127a4_c.jpgHC4 interior mods by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Non slip floor texture applied, and extra seats against forward bulkhead from spare bits from the HAR 3 (they don't have enough legs but no one will see once closed up!) whilst the seat by the cockpit entrance has been folded up against the broom cupboard.

• Like 2

I need to decide if I am going to have the HC4 power and switches self contained in the rear of the cab, or wires running out to external power - the latter would be easier, probably, but the former might look neater. The tiny lipo battery form the micro drone might fit vertically behind the cabin rear bulkhead, so its usb charger attachment pokes through the boat hull (it would look like yet another aerial, so I could live with the compromise.) Decisions, decisions...

Looking good Jon! Sheepskin seat cushions - great idea.

I would have the motorisation internal otherwise you won't be able to run around with it going chocka chocka :)

• Like 1

They are both coming along nicely, I do like the fluffy cushions!

Looking good Jon! Sheepskin seat cushions - great idea.
I would have the motorisation internal otherwise you won't be able to run around with it going chocka chocka :)

I was going to suggest have it connected via a Houchin (ground power supply) but then you do make a very good valid argument!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the encouraging words folks.

Bit slower this afternoon due to an hour's "clip and climb" with 06/24 minor. (Those of you who have met me will appreciate that I am the perfect build for climbing :fraidnot: )

Minor, on the other hand:

26191873291_c21a3b5c86_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Anyway, here's the update:

First, I was a bit nervous the motor would be very visible through the HC4s windows and door, however, a dry run suggests its almost invisible - and this is before any painting to dull it down further:

26232180876_5c0857e830_c.jpgSea Kings by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25655337533_36ed21590c_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26232090636_fcbb1be8a9_c.jpgSea Kings by jongwinnett, on Flickr

At 4mm by about 8, the vibrator motor fits neatly in the tail (with a bit of thinning of the opposite inside face - and not pushed fully home here). The motor replaces the leading edge of the tail bulge and once fixed in can be faired in to the surface I think (needs longer wires first).

26191788101_2f46df04fe_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

So all quite positive, however the butchered nano quad copter proved to be a false start - the battery is far too powerful and spins both motors at warp speed - so rather than mess about with resistances I think I'll try a smaller battery - I'm wondering if I could use a button cell and conceal it beneath the sonar cover on the bottom of the boat hull.

Speaking of boat hulls, I've added the spotlights in the front of the HAR3 and backed them with some kitchen foil, in an effort to give a reflective coating.

26191784691_060c55651d_c.jpgSea Kings by jongwinnett, on Flickr

A day in the office tomorrow, so unlikely to make much progress but I may be able to search out some small battery fittings!

• Like 2

Always thought you had a bit of the Tyrolean mountaineer about you, Jon!

Glad you were able to fit the vibrator in the tail without undue difficulty. (I am twelve, apparently.)

• Like 4