Vallejo equivalents to Xtracrylix?

Ad2408

Hi all

Had a bit of a nightmare with Xtracrylix paints, see post below:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999888-xtracrylix-paints-rubbish/#entry2310007

In short I am now thinking I need to strip it completely and start again with paints that actually work (for me at least!) so does anyone know the equivalent Vallejo numbers for:

XA1005 - RAF Extra Dark Sea

XA1025 - RAF Dark Slate

Thanks

Adam

Edited by Ad2408

Be wary of (i) perception and the (ii) effects of reflected light upon miniaturisation in presentation of the overall subject as viewed, especially with historically accurate paint samples with any brand, but particularly Vallejo and Lifecolor (sic), both of which I use - albeit far from exclusively.

With Vallejo in the particular, oft times the colours nominated are not what you might expect from having viewed the many prints in books, cover art of boxes and childhood memories of Humbrol intended for visual appeal rather than replicated historical accuracy. Also, as with any brand, shades may be approximate, or if close to accurate, look odd contrasted in miniature because of the way light works.

Always test first.

That said, Vallejo's equivalents approximating those colours are;

FS 36118 Extra Dark Sea Grey = Model Air 71.053, and,

FS 34096 Dark Slate Grey => Model Air 71.013 *

However, according to Vallejo's recommendations for application in "WWI British Aircraft Colors (sic) RAF-FAA" brochure accompanying their so named and other RAF/FAA paint sets, bear in mind this if well researched is just another reference source of the hypothetical ideal as laid down in regulations which like many others which is subject to challenge.

* Vallejo make specific note that their rendition of this colour is "approximate", requiring end user adjustment to accurate/preferred FS equivalent replication/shade.

Also, note that Model Air pigments are intended for airbrushing. Whilst they can be hand brushed, Model Color is friendlier for that purpose IME.