gravity colours?

shood23

I have seen a few people within the automotive threads using gravity colours paints and on looking through the website they have today I am very tempted in trying some of the paints they have on offer, mainly the chrome effect paint they have as it looks basically the same as the zero paints one but it's 1/3 of the price.

Basically what I want to know is of the people who have used them what was your experience with them and ease of use?

Can I use zero paints over them?

Are they like zero paints in that they need a clear coat?

And just generally out of gravity and zeros which one would you use money/time no object?

Thanks in advance

Shaun

Shaun, a few weeks ago i was asking myself the same questions.

so, I just went ahead and ordered a basic lot to paint an old vintage car in red. i am very excited to start experimenting this week before going for the real thing.

All what i read and heard say the same thing: Gravity brings very satisfying results. They have a sophisticated finishing procedure using varnish and waxes for modern, classic or vintage finishes.

Also, I heard they use the smallest metallic flakes to reproduce the paint according to scale...

have not ordered the metal yet am happy with AK true and extreme metal lines, i find better than Alclad.

Finally and it is important, i found the customer service of Gravity ( Antonio ) very efficient.

hope this helps

I don't use either brand though I have a couple zero bottles for future projects that otherwise wouldn't be possible.

My understanding of Zero paints is that they are just normal automotive paints supplied in smaller quantities that are more suited to model making. Therefore it has been my long held belief that it is in a way a rip off in terms of cost per cl of paint.

I know very little of Gravity paints having only recently heard of they via this forum. And from what I've heard they appear to be formulated specifically for use in automotive modelling. I.e the tiny flakes, easy use clear system and isn't poisonous like 2k is. Though with all paint they are harmful to health in the long run. Just no internal bleeding after an hours exposure haha.

I'd be interested to hear more info about the similarities and differences and if my assumptions are correct. However I find rattle can auto paints are perfectly fine for me, so I won't be going out and buying an airbrush in the near future lol.

Ashley

I've just ordered two colours plus clear coat from Gravity after reading homer's post http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996496-homers-aoshima-mclaren-f1-gtr-pre-season-testinglong-tail/page-4

Also, Zero won't/can't post to Australia but Gravity will.

Communication from Gravity has been very good. I'll update you all when the paints arrive but probably won't get around to using them for a month or so.

Edited by injidup
  • Like 1

Hey Shaun, I've been using Zero for a while now so I'm pretty experienced with them. I have also just started using Gravity and I am on my 3rd kit using Gravity so I have some experience with it too.

So in terms of them both as colourcoats, I found that the Gravity is more to scale. The metallic flakes and the pearls used seem to be much more to scale and unlike Zero who seem to have overscale paint (as Metroracing was saying).

Both Gravity and Zero colour coats looks the same once sprayed (matte finish) as both require clearcoats on top.

I would say that Gravity is a little less forgiving as a colourcoat, you need to spray the coats on lightly and build up the colour whereas with Zero you can spray it relatively heavy without any issues.

In terms of mixing them, it should be fine, have a look at my Lambo Miura build and you will see my little write up on the Gravity colours and also you will see I used Gravity as the main colour and Zero paints gunmetal as the secondary body colour without any problems or reactions between the paints.

As for clearcoats, I can only comment on 2K clear as thats what I used and I couldnt see a huge difference between the Gravity Colors 2K clear and the Zero Paints 2K clear.

Overall I prefer Gravity but they havent got the selection of colours like Zero does, so if I need a colour I first look at Gravity and if they dont make that colour then I will check Zero Paints.

Hit me up on Facebook and I will give you my contact for Gravity Colors and he will be able to help you out more.

Hope this helps bud :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys I have taken the plunge off the advice on here.

Imster your comments was very helpful, I have to admit I was kinda hoping you self or Matt would comment lol

Shaun

• Like 1

I agree totally with Imster, I've used Zero paints on around 6 car builds, and I've only just bought gravity colours and used them on one so far.

Once gravity gets up and running with a wider range like zero I expect I'll end up buying paint solely from them due to the pricing and the finish.

Rich

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but it came up in Google results for 'Gravity Paints UK'. So, I am just wondering if there is a UK supplier for these paints? Gravity say they'll ship worldwide, but ordering only two bottles of paint puts the order over the level that HMRC has Parcel Farce chasing you for their extortionate 'collection fee'...!!

Also, in regard to the flake sizes in Zero metallics, it is generally those listed as such (i.e. metallic) that are too big. Their Pearls are usually not too bad size wise, with Micas (to my eyes anyway) being fine. I spoke to Steve (IIRC) at Hiroboy at a show a few years back & he said he could mix any metallic with mica size flakes to special order. But I never received answers to e-mails asking how to make such orders, so in the end gave up and just used a colour already available as a Mica!

Keith 

I was also intrigued by Gravity paints, but was told very recently that they'd gone broke in Europe which had been hived off from the mother company. Can anyone clarify?

Martin

• 6 months later...

It's all very confusing, each of them calling each other names and both saying they're the original company, although the Spanish ones claim to have been in business first!! 

4 hours ago, gamblor916 said:

If by being in business means taking your cash but not sending anything then sure.

By that do you mean the US or European ''branch'' (or both?!)

11 hours ago, gamblor916 said:

If by being in business means taking your cash but not sending anything then sure.

Yup. One month and multiple attempts to contact him and no response. A little googling turned up several recent threads on other car forums about Gravity USA’s slow shipping and lack of communication. It’s too bad, because they have an excellent product. 

I haven’t personally ordered from the Spanish Gravity Colors (Gravity-Colors.com WITH a hyphen) but others I know have had good experiences. I’ll be ordering from them from here on.

Ben

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 7:56 PM, keefr22 said:

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but it came up in Google results for 'Gravity Paints UK'. So, I am just wondering if there is a UK supplier for these paints? Gravity say they'll ship worldwide, but ordering only two bottles of paint puts the order over the level that HMRC has Parcel Farce chasing you for their extortionate 'collection fee'...!!

Also, in regard to the flake sizes in Zero metallics, it is generally those listed as such (i.e. metallic) that are too big. Their Pearls are usually not too bad size wise, with Micas (to my eyes anyway) being fine. I spoke to Steve (IIRC) at Hiroboy at a show a few years back & he said he could mix any metallic with mica size flakes to special order. But I never received answers to e-mails asking how to make such orders, so in the end gave up and just used a colour already available as a Mica!

Keith 

At least with the Spanish site you won't be hit with vat and Royal mail charges, well not for the time being anyway

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colin said:

At least with the Spanish site you won't be hit with vat and Royal mail charges, well not for the time being anyway

Indeed - and that's why Spot Model in Spain have been getting almost all of my modelling budget for the last few months - just in case....

K

I just received a heap of paints from the Spanish Gravity Colors site. Live chat works, quick shipping, great service. Less than a week to receive the shipment.

With the paints being made in the EU I'd wager that the paints were developed in Spain while Matt in the US did the website and marketing.

There is no doubt that Andre (I think?) in Spain is the better business operator and really understands his customers with much MUCH better customer service. Rumours abound over Matt in the USA introducing products off his own back without thourough testing (such as the white primer) with poor results (plastics being damaged). 

Apparently Matt also filled his little bottles over a long period of time from the same large source without ensuring proper mixing resulting in pigment differences and flow inconsistencies. There are also reports of poor lid seals allowing thinner to evaporate getting around as well.

I might add that my very first shipment from Matt was "lost in the post" and not received nearly 6 weeks after shipment. He did send another shipment but since then I have my doubts the original shipment was actually sent (no tracking etc).

I'll be using Gravity-colors.com from now on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update: Over the last several weeks, I've left multiple phone messages on Gravity USA's voicemail and sent emails to the addresses I could find, and never once received a response. Yesterday, I finally gave up and sent him an email through PayPal's complaint page, telling him if he can't ship by Dec 10 to cancel my order and issue a refund. Less than 24 hours later, I got a shipping notice. We'll see if the paint actually gets here. Note that I've been sending emails to the same address that PayPal uses. I guess he feels like he can ignore those regular customer emails and only responds to emails from PayPal threatening to escalate things with their complaints department. Hell of a way to do business.

I'll be ordering from Gravity Colors in Spain from here on.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Yea Ben that seems to be the way he operates unfortunately. Apalling customer service and seems unwilling to do anything until Paypal steps in.

This makes for some interesting reading (complaints about US Gravity Colors).

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/delray-beach/profile/online-retailer/gravity-colors-usa-inc-0633-90415788/complaints

Interesting indeed. He replied to my PayPal complaint and claimed he had shipped the paint Oct 30, and said there must have been a problem. I have trouble believing that, since I got the order confirmation and the second shipping notice without any problem. I finally got the paint yesterday. That's the last time I'll be doing business with him.

Ben

• 2 months later...

I just received this email from Gravity Paints (US). All I can say is where is the popcorn :popcorn:

ATTENTION! 
Gravity Colors Customers

Dear Customers of Gravity Colors USA and Gravity Colors Europe, please read the following important information below:

It came to our attention that Gravity Colors Europe owner Antonio Caballeras is spreading disinformation and telling lies about Gravity Colors USA business, using a fictional name as "Encarni Funes". He is trying to mislead our customers by telling them that Gravity Colors USA is a "fake" business and selling "fake" Gravity Colors paints "without the permission" of Gravity Colors Europe. He is also advising our customers to open claims with PayPal on recent Gravity Colors USA orders to get their money back and re-purchase their items on his website in Spain. 

This kind of disinformation and false accusations are unacceptable and totally unethical. Gravity Colors USA decided to address this issue by replying to these false accusations to let Gravity Colors customers know the truth and expose the lies and dishonest business tricks of Mr. Antonio Caballeras of Gravity Colors EU.

Gravity Colors was introduced to the public worldwide in 2015 as a joint European and American company selling scale model airbrush paints on the internet. Gravity Colors paints were unknown to the public before 2015. In 2015 two websites were launched, designed and hosted in the United States. The original official domain GravityColors.com was registered in the state of Florida, by Mate Mayer, who was also the graphic/web designer of both Gravity Colors US and EU websites. He is also the deisgner and copyright owner of the original Gravity Colors logo still as of today.

The Gravity Colors logo, original domain and design is a registered trademark and copyrighted material, owned by Gravity Colors USA and Mate Mayer in the state of Florida. This can be verified and looked up at USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark office) at www.uspto.gov. Anyone can do a basic trademark search on that website by looking up Gravity Colors name (serial number 876846770) 

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

WHOIS records of the original official GravityColros.com domain can be checked and verified here on https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=gravitycolors.com

Gravity Colors company image and marketing was created by Mate Mayer at Gravity Colors USA in 2015. Without his work and dedication Gravity Colors paints and brand would not be known to the public. The ridiculous statment from Gravity Colors EU that Gravity Colors USA is just a "former distributor of the company" is far from reality. The truth is that Gravity Colors products and brand would not be known to the public in it's current form  if it was not up to Gravity Colors USA.and Mate Mayer.

Gravity Colors EU is using the original Gravity Colors logo on their  European website without our permission, commiting copyright infringement. 

Our customers need to know the truth and realize that they are being mislead and not told the truth. Gravity Colors USA broke up with Gravity Colors EU in September 2017 and stopped doing business with Gravity Colors EU, due to quality issues, and color accuracy of their paints sold in Europe which were not up to Gravity Colors USA standards. 

This break up of Gravity Colors company divided many Gravity Colors customers all over the world, who were mislead by disinformation that they are getting the same quality products on Gravity Colors EU's new website. Unfortunately many customers are under the impression that the same high quality premium paint products are also sold in Spain on Gravity Colors EU's new website. Unfortunately this is not the case. Paints being sold in the USA and in Europe are very different products. Color selection is also different.

The quality difference can be easily verified by comparing Gravity Colors USA and Gravity Colors EU paints products by doing a simple quick spray test. For those who are in doubt and disbelief, we highly reccommned performing a paint spray test to validate the information disclosed in this newsletter.

We have many Gravity Colors USA customer's testimony stating that Gravity Colors EU paints they purchased on Gravity Colors EU's website are definitely not the same quality products they have purchased on Gravity Colors USA website at www.GravityColors.com.

This is one of the testimony from our customers:

"...the paints that I got from the EU gravity turned out to be very coarse, even after sanding and polishing I couldn't get them to look smooth and was very disappointed. They didn't seem to match the reviews I read online about gravity paints. Because of the bad experience with using gravity EU’s paints I basically just gave up on gravity and wrote the products off. I ordered a whole bunch of paints from the EU site and the guy was very communicative at the time, but after receiving them and trying them I found they sprayed terribly. I contacted gravity EU about it a few times and never heard back any response and figured I got scammed..."

It's truly unfortunate that we have to send out a newsletter with this kind information, but our customers have the right to know the truth and realize that they are being misinformed by the current owner of Gravity Colors Europe. We have contacted Mr. Antonio Caballeras in Spain and asked him to stop with these accusations and gave him a 1 week notice to get back to us before we release this newsletter. We have not heard back from him, leaving us no other way to reply back to his accusations and defend the truth. 

You can read more about these issues at this FAQs page at https://www.gravitycolors.com/faqs/

Thank you for your time and attention!

Gravity Colors USA
www.GravityColors.com

Oh dear...!!

I don't understand why, if he has this much faith in his product, that he just doesn't relaunch under another name and end all the confusion and backbiting...?

Anyway, now we have a source of Splash paints in the UK, and still have Zero, I don't see me personally buying from either Gravity colours....

Keith