As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Dennis_C

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - black/white #2 - Airfix 1/72

Hi again everybody!

Here is my second black and white airplane – Hurricane Mk.I in the colours of 87th Squadron in the autumn of 1939 in France.

IMG_3606_zpsbmbjpusk.jpg

On 10th November 1939 this particular machine (L1619, squadron code LK-P) was flown by Plt Off Horatio Dunn. He chased a Luftwaffe reconnaissance aircraft but went too far from the airbase and ran out of fuel. Dunn made an emergency landing near Aalbeke in Belgium. He was caught by the Belgian police and imprisoned but managed to escape from the Belgian prison on 27th November and returned to his base. The Hurricane was interned by the Belgians as well, however its fate is not known. The German aircraft that Dunn chased (Do-17P) incurred some damage and crash-landed near Stuttgart killing all crew.

The link to a photo of L1619 after landing in Belguim

Airfix kit is very well known and truly nice to build. The only substantial issue I had was with the wing. It seems that the upper and lower parts have different dihedral :shrug: The upper part is correct while the lower part has dihedral in excess. I cut joint tabs and pressed the two parts to match dihedral to the upper part. This resulted in a lower side being 1 mm longer than the upper one on both ends. I simply sanded excessive plastic. Also some surgery was needed to properly insert landing lights.

To make things prettier I used Eduard’s PE for the cockpit, resin wheels and exhausts. Paints are same as for my Defiant - Hobby Color for the camo and Vallejo for almost everything else. Decals are by Xtradecal + stencils by Aviaeology.

IMG_3516_zpsih1zg8u9.jpg

IMG_3525_zps2euhypye.jpg

IMG_3532_zpsyodn2me2.jpg

IMG_3539_zpsegwbquvg.jpg

IMG_3547_zpspxtndm3k.jpg

IMG_3528_zpsc8000wp7.jpg

IMG_3584_zpsjgohssdw.jpg

Collage%20Hurricane_zpsuy0clxuw.jpg

And here the two black-and-white RAF warriors together:

IMG_3591_zpspshqrklr.jpg

Collage%20Duo_zps1lwgvg0b.jpg

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoy :thumbsup:

Dennis

Superb work!

Congratulations. Polo.

Very nice.

Nice work there Dennis , both lovely clean builds , :goodjob: I assume your next Black & White model will be a Spitfire ?

Hi Keith,

Not now. And I was thinking about moving forward into DG/DE/Sky period. So Spitfire and metal-wing Hurricane (or maybe something else) for BoB and a bit after. Need to wait for the ultimate kits of Mk.Ia and tin-wing Hurry now :) Come on Airfix!!!

Many thanks for nice comments, everyone!!!

Edited by Dennis_C

Really nice, clean tidy work - I really like it.

Regards

Dave

That is beautiful work. Very well done! :goodjob: