? markings for Hosho based A5Mb2

JackG

Have a 72nd scale resin kit of this earlier Claude (including full canopy), and would like to put it in the livery of a Hosho based aircraft. I can only find one example based on a MONTEX offering:

1-32-a5m2b-claude-special-hobby.jpg

Does anyone have more info on this particular scheme, such as a valid date, or some other possible tail codes and fuselage stripes?

regards,

Jack

The enclosed canopy Claude was designated Model 2-2 but was not popular with pilots, was often flown with the canopy removed and rarely seems to have been photographed. The Nagoya factory made 108 with a further 16 produced by 21st Naval Aircraft Arsenal after the Nagoya production ceased.

I know of photo evidence for only a very few examples, all apparently land-based. There are aircraft of the 12th Ku in China in 1938 with the tail codes 3-154 with presentation markings Hokoku-125, 3-165 and 3-104 with the sliding canopy removed and dark wheel spats, usually depicted red but probably black. All have red bordered white bands on the rear fuselage. Then there is リ-113 (Ri-113) of the somewhat elusive Hyakurihara Ku circa 1940-1941. Plus a couple of others in standard markings but without tail codes.

Hosho aircraft seem to have been standard type Claudes with open cockpits and their tail code changed from G to C in April 1941. The longitudinal red stripe is said to identify aircraft of the Home (reserve) fleet but opinions differ about that. There is also doubt about whether late carrier-based Claudes had a natural metal or painted aluminium finish. The Montex GI-134 example should be circa November 1940 but on board the carrier Ryujo as Hosho displayed GII codes at that time. A Hosho Claude with GII-132 tail code and longitudinal red stripe featured on the old Nichimo kit box art.

Nick

• Like 1

Nick, thanks for providing all of this. Those first three examples you described (12th and Hyakurihara Ku units) are the ones supplied in the kit from CHOROSZY, but none of this information is included - so now that blank is filled in.

Think I should be okay if I follow the below illustration, just have to modify the combing behind the pilot. Looked up the mentioned Nichimo box art and it has yellow tail codes - any idea which is more accurate?

GII-132_zpsca3ab863.gif

regards,

Jack

They are usually shown white, although the possibility of yellow is perennial like the yellow Hinomaru borders, which some say was due to the tendency of the creamy white paint to yellow and look yellow. However other aircraft from Ryujo and Hosho have been depicted with yellow codes which I think is based on tonal interpretation.

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks again, Nick.

One last question about the tail codes. As I understand it, the first number indicate the aircraft type, with '1' representing a fighter. What about the last two, would it include information about grouping/flight, or both digits are just the individual aircraft number?

regards,

Jack