Herald colours

rossm

I'm not really into civil aircraft so please can anyone help interpret these photos http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p946416424/h21C6B486#h21c6b486

and http://www.airteamimages.com/handley-page-herald_G-ATIG_brymon-airways_206185_large.html

There are some subtle differences but I hope to fix on one of them

From the top down:

Fin - yellow - any comments on a possible match in Xtrumbiya or other manufs ranges?

Upper fuse & wings - white

Leading edges - presumably black de-icing boot

Underwing registration - black?

Nacelles - polished ally / pale grey or white

Line - dark blue - model paint matches?

Tailplanes - black? with or without white tips

Line - white

Line - yellow

Radome - satin black

Line - white

Lower fuselage - pale blue/grey? - matches?

Fuselage code - dark blue?

Bottom of fuselage - mid-grey? - matches?

Does the reg code appear under both wings?

TIA

Ross

I'm not really into civil aircraft so please can anyone help interpret these photos http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p946416424/h21C6B486#h21c6b486

and http://www.airteamimages.com/handley-page-herald_G-ATIG_brymon-airways_206185_large.html

There are some subtle differences but I hope to fix on one of them

From the top down:

Fin - yellow - any comments on a possible match in Xtrumbiya or other manufs ranges? Humbrol Golden Yellow, probably as close as you'll get.

Upper fuse & wings - white - Correct

Leading edges - presumably black de-icing boot - correct

Underwing registration - black? - correct

Nacelles - polished ally / pale grey or white - engines Light Aircraft Grey (Xtracolour) with polished nacelles

Line - dark blue - model paint matches? Xtracolour Oxford Blue, or Humbrol Midnite Blue

Tailplanes - black? with or without white tips - not sure, but I would say tailplanes are same dark blue as the cheatline, no white tips

Line - white- correct

Line - yellow - correct

Radome - satin black -correct

Line - white - correct

Lower fuselage - pale blue/grey? - matches? Xtracolour Light Aircraft Grey

Fuselage code - dark blue? black

Bottom of fuselage - mid-grey? - matches? Not sure, but this possibly may be left natural metal, due to stones chipping any paint away here.

Does the reg code appear under both wings? No, just beneath the port wing.

TIA

Ross

• Like 1

Hi Ross- I'd add a couple of comments to Adrian's reply:

1. I think HP painted the tailplane (gloss) black as it sits right behind the engine exhausts and gets covered in soot anyway- at least a close walk round G-APWA @ Woodley seems to suggest that. You can see the black is duller in the outboard section where it is behind the exhaust;
  2. The paler yellow of the two photos looks more like the Brymon yellow- that orangey colour is misleading
  3. The underside is all the same grey but since Heralds are not rounded underside but have an angled cross section to the belly they always look like there's a darker grey lower down - that plus the reflection of the aircraft's shadow - it's a trick of the light which you get with almost any grey-bellied Herald!
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Ross- I'd add a couple of comments to Adrian's reply:

1. I think HP painted the tailplane (gloss) black as it sits right behind the engine exhausts and gets covered in soot anyway- at least a close walk round G-APWA @ Woodley seems to suggest that. You can see the black is duller in the outboard section where it is behind the exhaust;
  2. The paler yellow of the two photos looks more like the Brymon yellow- that orangey colour is misleading
  3. The underside is all the same grey but since Heralds are not rounded underside but have an angled cross section to the belly they always look like there's a darker grey lower down - that plus the reflection of the aircraft's shadow - it's a trick of the light which you get with almost any grey-bellied Herald!

Andy,

The black tailplane on G-APWA preserved at Woodley is part of the BEA livery of the day and not applied by HP.

The colour of Herald tailplanes was the choice of the airline and I don't think painted to hide exhaust stains, although the airline may well have decided on that.

• 3 months later...

Although the  BEA Heralds had black-painted tailplanes, none of the rest of BEA's fleet had at that time, so Andy may well be correct about the sooty exhaust residue. I remember at the time it was a bit of a puzzle to us spotters at Abbotsinch Airport (Glasgow)!