BP Defiant - black/white #1 - Airfix 1/72

Hi Everyone,

Let me show you the Boulton-Paul Defiant Mk.I – the first of two black/white RAF fighters that I’ve recently completed.

IMG_3462

On 29th May 1940 this machine (L6957) took an action over Dunkirk as part of 264th squadron (squadron code PS-T). On that day L6957 was piloted by Plt Off Desmond Kay and LAC E.J.Jones was a gunner. A dozen of Defiants were attacked by Bf 109s over the Channel. Defiants fought well and managed to score several Messerschmitts. However, Kay’s Defiant was hit by enemy fire and got its starboard aileron and hydraulics damaged. This caused the gunner to bail out, but Kay managed to fly battered aircraft back to the base. Jones, however, perished in the Channel.

The kit is a well-appraised Airfix’s set with addition of Eduard’s photo-etch mainly in the cockpit and gear bays. Also I got some resin parts to replace exhausts and wheels and used brass Brownings by Master. Paints are Hobby Color for DG/DE (perfect match to my taste!) and Vallejo for black and white.

Decals are a mix of original Airfix’s stencils and DP Casper set for Dunkirk. I’m not 100% sure that DP Casper has correctly depicted thinner yellow rings on the fuselage sides (perhaps should be same width as blue and white?) and that a narrow yellow ring should be present on port wing. Also I opted to use Airfix’s letters for squadron code having converted “U” into “T”. DP Casper’s letters are too dark and thin.

IMG_3458 IMG_3444 IMG_3468 IMG_3474 IMG_3446 IMG_3466 IMG_3483 IMG_3497 Collage Defiant

Thanks for looking! Appreciate any feedback!

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
replaced photobucket with flickr photoes
  • Like 30

Thanks for nice comments, folks!

Darby, Joachim, I fully agree that aftermarket parts help a lot to those of us who can not carve gun barrels or exhausts from scratch (like me :) ) And yes - these parts do make a difference to how a model looks like.