1/72 Zvezda Mi-35G Super Hind II

Pappy

G'day people,

I have added some additional plumbing in the main wheel bay as it was looking a little bare

DSCN2725_zpsneyipi9e.jpg

DSCN2724_zpsjhcbxebe.jpg

Once that is painted up I can finally close up the fuselage.

My Mi-35 will need modified stub wings as the vertical end pylons are not used. This means that I had to bog up the open ends and re-contour them to match the wing cross section.

008_zpsnijarezk.jpg

No biggie, just some filler and sanding.

I also painted up the engine compartment access panels and cabin doors,

009_zpstgnfttek.jpg

These fit pretty well which is a good thing as I will need to use them to mask off any openings when I spray the fuselage. Quite often it seems that the access panels of kits that offer lots of open panel details are ill fitting, which can mean lots of time fettling these bits if you choose to close the panel.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4

Excellent work Pappy.

The extra details you are adding are really bringing this kit to life, mind you it looks to be the most detailed 1/72 model out of the box I have ever seen. Looks like I might need to invest in one of these beauties, to go with my 2 Hasegawa A's and Hobby Boss D sitting in the stash.

Some very nice work. Your detail painting really brings those small parts to life.

Those Zvezda kits look the business, make my old Hasegawa Hinds look a bit bland.

G'day Smudge, the Hasegawa kit is well and truly eclipsed now.

I built a Hasegawa Hind recently http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990449-172-cyprus-national-guard-mi-35p/?hl=pappy and although not bad for its age as far as assembly and fit, there are some glaring errors and omissions.

Excellent work Pappy.

The extra details you are adding are really bringing this kit to life, mind you it looks to be the most detailed 1/72 model out of the box I have ever seen. Looks like I might need to invest in one of these beauties, to go with my 2 Hasegawa A's and Hobby Boss D sitting in the stash.

G'day MM,

Thanks, but I am really only tweaking the kit here and there, I haven't really added any scratch stuff, just some lead wire to the engine and main gear bays. The kit is the real star here and as I have already said, careful painting will yield results. I have not seen the Hobby Boss kit contents myself, but it sounds disappointing that a relatively new kit is inferior to the Zvezda kit. It would be nice if Zvezda extended the family to include some more variants, the Mi-35M, Mi-24/35P (fixed gun) for example. Even better if they were to upscale their kit to 1/48 so people didn't have to build the ancient Revell/Mono kit.

The only issue I have with the Zveszda kits is that the Mi-24E boxing lacks the IR jammer that is included in the Mi-35 kit. It would have been nice if they included this sprue, otherwise the modeller has to scratch or cross kit if they want to include this item.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

G'day people,

A little more progress,

DSCN2726_zpsccfe6tp3.jpg

DSCN2727_zpsolj3nrh5.jpg

With that done, the fuselage halves could finally be closed. Zvezda provide the lower forward fuselage as a separate item, no doubt so that they can produce other Hind versions at a later date.

I have added some PE details to the nose gear bay

010_zpsg30tr6ur.jpg

011_zpsbwiqbetd.jpg

Test fitting,

DSCN2705_zpsdlzium2v.jpg

DSCN2706_zpsv3w61qps.jpg

DSCN2707_zps3zby8wgh.jpg

I reduced the thickness of the gunner's cockpit floor as much as I dared in preparation of the next stage of the conversion,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

That's very fine looking work.

Thanks very much Nigel.

G'day people,

Some of you may be wondering why there is a large hole in the bottom on the forward fuselage piece.

This is how it comes in the kit

010_zpsy1tsyb0o.jpg

This bulged portion with the sensors needs to be removed for my conversion

011_zps5sd0c8cd.jpg

In order to allow this resin part to fit

012_zps0c77osuy.jpg

Of course, this conversion is designed to work with the Hobby Boss kit instead of the Zvezda kit that I am using. The biggest issue that I have faced in making this resin item fit is that the resin part is a solid block and the bottom of the gunner's cockpit prevents the resin part sitting flush. I have thinned the floor and sides of the forward cockpit as much as I dare, so now I need to remove material from inside the resin part. Working slowly and methodically, and with constant test fitting, here is what I ended up with.

DSCN2704_zpsr4pbrvml.jpg

A quick and dirty test fit shows that it sits in place as required,

DSCN2708_zpsqetqk9zg.jpg

DSCN2709_zpssof1odjk.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

Impressive work on carving that resin part.

G'day Nigel,

Thanks, it is always touch and go when you start to modify bits.

G'day people,

The fuselage has been buttoned up and this was mostly trouble free. The majority of the seams are behaving themselves,

DSCN2741_zps4wezipzp.jpg

DSCN2743_zpsouhjioka.jpg

However I have found that this section needed a little CA to fill

DSCN2742_zps2d7hcuqk.jpg

I think that the air scoop in front of the MRG was the culprit as it is a tight fit. I also had a small step where the APU inlet fan meets the rest of the dogbox.

The belly seam was also not playing the game.

DSCN2744_zpskuu23tjz.jpg

I think this may just be me as I always seem to get a crappy join along the belly. It has been given a liberal brush of sprue glue in this pic.

The only other wrinkle so far has been the three way junction of the lower forward fuselage, the belly and upper fuselage sides.

DSCN2745_zpsxkagx9ot.jpg

The putty looks scary but it is really only a light surface smear.

The resin sensor base fit reasonably well, and this was blended using some putty and moistened cotton bud

DSCN2766_zpssq4vkhgr.jpg

DSCN2768_zpsqdqhfhst.jpg

The stub wings have also been attached.

DSCN2770_zps2z80zmzk.jpg

DSCN2771_zpspk4aeywt.jpg

As was the tail rotor fairing

DSCN2772_zps700ib5yr.jpg

The fit of these was just magic!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

Pappy, does the version you're building come with the lIPA jammer that goes on the spine. I'm going to scratchbuild one, but I'm having trouble measuring out the top and bottom contours of the housing. Would you be willing to provide some measurements?

Fantastic work dude.

Thanks, but don't call me dude

Pappy, does the version you're building come with the lIPA jammer that goes on the spine. I'm going to scratchbuild one, but I'm having trouble measuring out the top and bottom contours of the housing. Would you be willing to provide some measurements?

I assume that you mean the Lipa L166V1AE IR Jammer? In which case, yes the Mi-24E boxing includes this and I don't know why the Mi-35 version does not, as there are many later versions that need it.

Contact me off-board, I may be able to help,

cheers,

Pappy

Weaving your usual magic on this one Pappy :thumbsup:

:mike:

Thanks Ray!

Isn't it about time you stopped lurking and joined in?, you have been known to be a rotor fancier as well,

cheers,

Pappy

I am trying to get a couple of other projects off the bench before I commit. And my mojo is not there at the moment :(

I can't decide on what to build. VH-53, VC-22, VH-60, Merlin HC4, SH-3D/H Sea King, CH-47D Chinook. To many choices!

I am trying to get a couple of other projects off the bench before I commit. And my mojo is not there at the moment :(

I can't decide on what to build. VH-53, VC-22, VH-60, Merlin HC4, SH-3D/H Sea King, CH-47D Chinook. To many choices!

Choices, choices, as far as problems go, that is a good one to have!

Just read this thread through'. Looks like it's being built by somebody who really knows the subject. Excellent skills here.

Ian.

G'day Ian, Thanks very much, it may look that way but I can promise you I am no expert!, The beauty of the internets is that there are plenty of people who are and these days, detailed pics are a lot easier to come by.

Great work Pappy.

I'm really enjoying your build.

Craig.

G'day Craig, I'm, enjoying as well.

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Well, today was a a two steps forward one day back affair. I have settled on a paint scheme and noticed to may dismay that my example needs the earlier APU 'ribbed' bulge (ooh ahh!), and unfortunately i had already glued in the later smooth type.

DSCN2770_zps2z80zmzk.jpg

I did a lovely job of it and there was no way this part was coming unstuck without a fight, so I decided to cut it off and sand down the area

DSCN2794_zps0ijfkt8k.jpg

I made a casting of the earlier type as well as the LIPA IR jammer. My version is 'fitted for but not with' meaning the base of the unit remains but the actual jammer has been removed and plated over. I did not want to destroy the kit part when it can be used in other builds so I decided to make a casting and modify that instead.

DSCN2779_zpsnqw851yv.jpg

The APU blister in place

DSCN2795_zpsgnzjqkyq.jpg

DSCN2796_zpsarruefiw.jpg

And in the company of the modified jammer base

DSCN2797_zpsml276rjs.jpg

[/url]

DSCN2798_zps16an6s1p.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 9

Wow! So, start with a really good and detailed kit, then add more detail!

I am enjoying this a lot.

Regards,

Adrian

G'day Adrian,

I am glad you are enjoying the build. The kit is really nice and really demonstrates how far kits have come, more so when compared to the ancient Airfix kit you a bashing into submission (and doing a really excellent job of btw!), but there is even more that could be added but where do you stop?

I like the idea of building old kits to modern standards. I grew up with Matchbox kits and I really like building a kit from my past to see how it will turn out based on the skills I have now,

G'day people,

I have started to play around with the canopies and these look like they may offer a little resistance. The front section consists of two parts, the main canopy and a separate entry door. The canopy fits well at the front and right sides,

DSCN2802_zpsd0twxb4h.jpg

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the small bridging part on the left

DSCN2803_zpsry2ncs50.jpg

The culprit seems to be the rear instrument panel fouls the aft edge of the canopy. This is most likely due to a combination of the rear panel sitting too high and the canopy thickness.I don't know if this was my fault or the kit's, but it was probably mine as the rest of the kit goes together pretty well. My solution was to thin down the rear portion of the forward canopy,

DSCN2807_zpslxr7pagv.jpg

p

With some light pressure, the gap on the left of the canopy just about eliminated.

DSCN2805_zpstpqpq9su.jpg

The shop super approves!

DSCN2808_zpsar0iowjo.jpg

More stub wing mods. I don't know what these are for ?

DSCN2812_zpsirsqjebj.jpg

DSCN2813_zpstujnsqyk.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

Nice work Pappy - its very tidy - despite the putty :)

Looking forward to the next installment

Thanks MH. the putty just wipes away.

Showing great commitment to producing what should be a fabulous result. Respect!

Cliff

Cheers Cliff, I hope so!

G'day people,

Well I managed to get the aft part of the front canopy to play nice with the fuselage, and blend the lot in.

DSCN2820_zpsmibiuhmx.jpg

Only to be confronted with another canopy issue, this time the rear canopy will not fit. I think I must have done something wrong when installing the rear instrument panel, it must be sitting too high or too far back or both. Zvezda breaks down the canopy into a forward and aft with separate access hatches for each. The aft canopy is further complicated as it is broken down into two parts plus the entry door. I found the I could not get the main portion to sit right and it seemed about 1mm too long.

DSCN2821_zpsdduclqao.jpg

I trimmed the front which fixed the length, but the fit is not great. This seems strange as the rest of the kit has been excellent so far. This is going to need more work....

I set the fuselage aside and let the glue set, so I turned my attention to the whirly bits. The main rotor is wonderfully complicated,

DSCN2819_zpsvhwgnoeo.jpg

but I decided to add some piping to match my references,

DSCN2829_zpslvvzxrsd.jpg

DSCN2830_zpskhmuabn6.jpg

The tail rotor was not forgotten either,

DSCN2834_zpsucmscr07.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7