Hello glue-sniffers and ABS addicts.

This thread is a split from http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999580-airfix-vampire-t11-x-2/

Images are spoiler tagged for ease of page loading.

If you have any issues with the photos, blame RobG. If you have any issues with the model, don't blame me. If you would like a custom-built version for your mantelpiece then dream on.

I haven't built a model for probably 18 years, so I began with a pre-emptive strike on the box.

25764491140_d17ca58d71_c.jpg

Edited by Hawker's Hound

Don't blame me, they was nicked! Nicked, I tells ya!

(Note for the mods: No they weren't... it just makes sense to use photos I've already taken. These are used with permission from the originator ie me.)

It's a pit. For male chickens.

25424066733_255c391a21_c.jpg

26000633976_c19c9a3f80_c.jpg

Only the real professionals are able to lose a tiny part made of transparent plastic on the floor, so I nearly ended up with only one gunsight.

I took some time to paint the overall tub in black with a silver drybrush, after which I took some time to scrape off a good portion of it to glue on the panel behind the seat.

25934020742_ce560d1c2a_c.jpg

Edited by Hawker's Hound

I know a lot of you have been having trouble with the paints which I didn't find surprising. I wasn't expecting much from a starter kit and I've seen paint from RobG recently that was pretty horribibble, but I have found my collection of paints to be quite usable. They mix and spread well. Lucky for me.

Some of the molding off the sprue, however...!

My fuselage halves had a quite severe warp, but it wasn't too difficult to correct. I glued the intake grilles on and the ducting in place before also dry-fitting the wings. Woe and regret. Things don't line up quite as nicely as they might and now requires 8 fingers, eyes on both sides of the table and few newtons to line it all up. Also there are no pilots. I put them in the corner. They know what they did.

26000628416_7417727cba_c.jpg

Edited by Hawker's Hound

This one threw me for a mo but good work keep it up

How so? Is it because I didn't put my name in the sign-up? I apologise for my not-so-youthful enthusiasm. :) I had a de-facto foot in through RobG's thread and didn't think to add one personally now that I joined the forums myself.

Edited by Hawker's Hound

So, in my attempts to figure the best way to attach the wing, I discovered that by attaching the lower panels to the upper wing structure, I could slide the entire wing section into place and align all the joints easier than as suggested in the instructions. So I did that, along with a layer of aluminium (shut-up, spellcheck), a black wash and silver drybrush of the wheel wells.

Oh yeah, I'm "winging it" now! Live dangerously, die young and leave a good-looking corpse!

26044402675_7466ba91eb_c.jpg

...Unfortunately, the tail booms were supposed to be inserted between the wing halves. This left me with booms that don't fit due to locking protrusions. This is the punishment for my hubris.

I carefully sliced off most of the sticky-out bits until I was able to slide them in with a little click.

25441864643_31ae28a43f_c.jpg

I still haven't broken the pitot!

25439916434_5b97a5c894_c.jpg

Edited by Hawker's Hound

Loving it so far. I'm currently studying for my overconfidence on my own build so I sympathise. I agree about the pilots, life's too short for that nonsense.

Still looking good. It threw me with the spoiler bits lol

Is it maybe better if I remove them? Rob seemed a bit confused at first, too, and came to talk to me to make sure I knew it was that way. I'm guessing people don't use them often around here. Some forums insist on large images being hidden behind spoilers :)

Edited by Hawker's Hound

I fitted the wing and then I highlighted the horror with some washed-down yellow. After a lot of knife-work and slicing and shaping and sanding and betting on the paint to fill the gaps, it comes to this.

Mass balancers and drop-pods. Ready for paint. I'm a little bit scared.

25497411224_2ae994f338_c.jpg

26102164475_d5f63da907_c.jpg

For reference, here's the first dry-fit. Please mind the gap.

25439646274_f4c3be0c91_c.jpg

I suspect most of the ill fit is/was caused by my warped fuselage section.

I still haven't broken the pitot!

Edited by Hawker's Hound

From where I'm sat, that looks like a pretty decent recovery.

Wouldn't this be soooo much easier if we were allowed just a tiny bit of filler? - especially if its not our fault that its needed

Craig

• Like 1

I may not have broken the pitot tube yet, but a butterfingers incident a few days ago means I did break the tip off the starboard vert stab.

The search continues.

Thanks speccy :) Yeah I think it turned out alright. I don't know about you, but I found the glue does okay at filling joints if you give it a few layers and cut/scrape/sand off the extra between. I think I focused probably more on just getting the lines a consistent width and depth on both sides than filling them smooth. I don't mind a bit of extra chunkiness to the detail. I don't think it has to look bad, per se, but yeah, no, it's no substitute for real putty.

Edited by Hawker's Hound

• 3 weeks later...

Is that a bristle stuck under the paint? I think it is!

26141553746_f1628659a7_c.jpg

The thread has been quiet while I paint. Not a lot happening except coat on coat of silver and a lot of days off. Rushed to get the decals and the remaining fiddly bits like gear doors (and gear) on last night and I'm happy to say complete. I'm glad RobG didn't take photos for me too close. ;)

Anyway, time is short, so, without further ado, here is my vampire:

1b6e732c8bb966019f15752d6b5470bb.jpg

Eurgh! Wrong door.

26440150976_05e034f1b4_b.jpg

26466056805_3be6d4b1b0_b.jpg

26466067635_4f0aa6d0e0_b.jpg

Just ignore the ugly bits and she's gorgeous!

For the final display photos, please look at my post in the gallery. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999096-gallery/?p=2330426

Edited by Hawker's Hound

Just been checking out the photos in the gallery - you've done an amazing job on the metal finish considering you had to use the pots of paint supplied! Very well done - another great looking Vampire! :thumbsup: