1/48 - de Havilland Vampire FB.50/J28B by Pilot Replicas - box art

Homebee

I don't understand the lack of interest in this exciting news. I've built their J 21 and their new J 29 and they are absolutely fantastic kits.

I would say this is even better than if Tamiya would release a Vampire. If Pilot Replicas manage to have the same quality as their J 29 it will be about as perfect as a plastic model kit can be.

Andreas

• Like 1

I don't understand the lack of interest in this exciting news.

For me the answer is here:

Just hope that Pilot Replicas can make it a bit cheaper than their current line up.

Edited by Laurent

For me the answer is here:

I have to concur with Laurent, whilst I'm pleased that Pilot Replicas are releasing a 1/48th Vampire (see post 4 in this thread), like Laurent, my excitement is tempered by the fact that I might not be able to justify the cost.

Have to agree with Wez and Laurent (and Caerbannogs hopes).

Its rubbed in by lack of even basic stores which seem appear as pricey, but nice, resin soon after.

Waiting and hoping.

Cheers

Chris (owner of both the J21 & 29)

I too have to agree with Wez and Laurent (and Caerbannogs hopes). Whilst I have both the J21 and J29, and agree they are superb kits, I was a little sad to see that I paid a lot more for the pre order of the Tunnan ( nearly £50 with postage) from Pilot Replicas than I would have if I had waited for it to come into stock at Hannants, and given the likely retail price of this new Vampire, you can already have a very nice Vampire from Alley Cat for £40. I've now built two of those and they have very nicely detailed cockpits in resin, the undercarriage in white metal already has brake lines moulded in place and the fit is pretty good too ( you may have to slightly shim the fuselage pod to make the fit to the rear end perfect) . For a resin virgin it's an ideal kit. I'm hoping the price is close to £30 this time or I may have to pass in favour of the Alley Cat kit. Now the Venom and 2 seaters are a different story.

Price-price-price easily most expensive 1/48 injection kits compared to their size and parts count, I love them and wish them all the best- its a small Company and toolings made to their quality cost very much-but again are too expensive by at least 25% percent, 60€ for Tunnan-wont work! ( at least outside Sweden )

.... For a resin virgin it's an ideal kit. I'm hoping the price is close to £30 this time or I may have to pass in favour of the Alley Cat kit. Now the Venom and 2 seaters are a different story.

Wow!! It's a small model, so if I was putting a price on how much I would expect to pay, I'd say about £20 no more. I understand costs have risen blah, blah, blah but as others have said, the prices they ask are a bit hard to swallow.

Lower the price and they may sell a lot more; they'll recoup their investment over a longer period, but they'll shift a load more.

• Like 1

Agreed. There is a lot of love for the Tunnan outside of Sweden, much less so for the J21, but the Vampire has ( IMHO) a much wider worldwide appeal and given the huge disappointment following the Trumpeter release ( look back at the history on here ) if it's priced right, I imagine the sales could be huge. The plethora of colourful markings just for UK squadrons, plus all the foreign operators would get me to but at least 2 ( and I have already bought and built 2 Alley Cat Vampires).