MFH 917K

Borez

I want a challenge after I finish my 956 and I've been looking at the 1/24th MFH 917K 449 to build later in the year.

I love this car, along with the C9, 956 and GT40 it's just the ultimate Le Mans car for me. I already have an XJR-9 in my stash too.

Wish I could have taken some time from touring to go to Goodwood over the last few days to see the 917's in action. :(

Obviously I'm not going all out on a 1/12 version, I'd like to but I just can't justify that kind of spend on a hobby yet.

So... are these models really worth the spend? Anyone here already built one?

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

It is an awesome kit-you will enjoy it. I am an MFH dealer in the states and my advice is to buy any 1/24 or 1/20 kit you may want sooner rather than later. As MFH build 1/12 kits they seem to be phasing out the 1/24 kits. Many of my favorites are no longer available, and the 917s are getting hard to find. Cobra Daytona Coupes seem to be all gone as well as the Lotus 49 which are two of my favorites.

• Like 1

It is an awesome kit-you will enjoy it. I am an MFH dealer in the states and my advice is to buy any 1/24 or 1/20 kit you may want sooner rather than later. As MFH build 1/12 kits they seem to be phasing out the 1/24 kits. Many of my favorites are no longer available, and the 917s are getting hard to find. Cobra Daytona Coupes seem to be all gone as well as the Lotus 49 which are two of my favorites.

Thanks for the heads up.

Save up and buy the 1/12, you won't regret it, yes it a big outlay.I just saved and didn't buy any 1/24 or 1/20 kits for a while

Well that's how I justified it to myself, not the 917 but the Ferrari 330 P4 ;)

Personally, I find MFH to be rather infuriating. They're prolific, do a lot of cool stuff, and their kits are well engineered... but they often make some bad design decisions and on close examination, the detail often leaves a lot to be desired. Their fasteners - nuts, bolts, rivets and the like - are usually bad. It's not unusual to see people spend another few hundred dollars on machined fasteners to replace the kit parts. The kits often include neat, but entirely hidden details like engine internals, while visible areas like dashboards get a fairly half-hearted treatment.

They also tend to be somewhat genericized - the 250 GTO mixes and matches details of different chassis. The 330 is based on one specific chassis, making most of the kits inaccurate. The 917s hit the major differences of the various cars, but they miss a number of detail differences. etc. etc.

Ultimately it's a love/hate relationship. I'm excited to see every new release they make, and I've been disappointed with every one I've bought. :(

• Like 2

Personally, I find MFH to be rather infuriating. They're prolific, do a lot of cool stuff, and their kits are well engineered... but they often make some bad design decisions and on close examination, the detail often leaves a lot to be desired. Their fasteners - nuts, bolts, rivets and the like - are usually bad. It's not unusual to see people spend another few hundred dollars on machined fasteners to replace the kit parts. The kits often include neat, but entirely hidden details like engine internals, while visible areas like dashboards get a fairly half-hearted treatment.

They also tend to be somewhat genericized - the 250 GTO mixes and matches details of different chassis. The 330 is based on one specific chassis, making most of the kits inaccurate. The 917s hit the major differences of the various cars, but they miss a number of detail differences. etc. etc.

Ultimately it's a love/hate relationship. I'm excited to see every new release they make, and I've been disappointed with every one I've bought. :(

If I'm spending that amount of money I'd expect a solid product, maybe I'll just go the Fujimi/photoetch/engine upgrade route instead.

One of the best examples I can think of is this MP4/4 build here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997769-mclaren-mp4-4-112-mfh/?p=2276567

(note: this has nothing to do with this specific build of the kit; just commenting on the parts MFH provide)

The engine has a lot of detail: there's details inside the heads, individual clutch plates to go inside the transmission and the pistons will even turn, though it will all be hidden on the completed build.

But the moulded-in nuts and bolts that hold it all together look like this: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/caterhamnut/MP4_4/My%20MP4_4/IMG_6858.jpg Soft, blobby and indistinct.

They're a mix of amazing subjects, impressive engineering and fantastic detail, with a few maddening flaws.

But guys remember the time when there was no new kits in 1/12 from any company for a long,long time.

Only Tamiya brought some re-release from their old stuff.

And now we got MFH with small full details models.

They are way from perfect,but even when you build it obb they look very cool.

And the rivet counter can made the changes they want to made.

Its right,the mix of material they use are sometime strange.But they made all those fabulous cars we ever dream off,or?

I own the 917LH,917K and the 956LH from them.All three kits are way from perfect,but they are real gems and no other company made them in that scale.

regards Christian

One of the best examples I can think of is this MP4/4 build here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997769-mclaren-mp4-4-112-mfh/?p=2276567

(note: this has nothing to do with this specific build of the kit; just commenting on the parts MFH provide)

The engine has a lot of detail: there's details inside the heads, individual clutch plates to go inside the transmission and the pistons will even turn, though it will all be hidden on the completed build.

But the moulded-in nuts and bolts that hold it all together look like this: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/caterhamnut/MP4_4/My%20MP4_4/IMG_6858.jpg Soft, blobby and indistinct.

They're a mix of amazing subjects, impressive engineering and fantastic detail, with a few maddening flaws.

Thanks (its ok, I understand you are using that as an example of the style of kit, rather than my skills - hopefully I'll earn that :) ) and you are absolutely correct - I loved all that detail - then glued it inside the kit!

I can't disagree with anything ICMF says - I am not familiar with the historic details/inaccuracies, but in terms of the kits, I think they cater for two types of builders - build right out of the box - and it will look amazing, but perhaps with some 'blobby' details like rivets etc - or cut off all the MFH nuts and bolt castings and spend a lot on new fittings, as ICMF says, and get a museum quality kit. I think I'll end up half way in between (in terms of buying extra fittings!)

Just about to start the 917K - amazing kit, but my biggest frustration with MFH is their packaging!

Lovely outer boxes, then all the (softish) metal parts clustered together in loose bags or under cling-film. I will have to straighten quite a few parts, and with the framework of the 917K chassis, that is something that will be very visible.

Had the same with other kits, though tyo be fair, MFH replaced some broken parts without question - but can't help feeling that with the initial price for these 1/12 kits, they could do better....

Spot on!