Ferrari 250 GTO 1/8 scratch build

Thanks guys.

Regarding the red - 'Rosso Cina':

I did loads of searching on assorted forums as well as Ferrari's own classic website.

The paint was mixed by Glazurit after Ferrari changed paint suppliers in the mid-late '60's.

Colour codes prior to that are very hard to find especially as Ferrari frequently changed the colours quite a lot, but still used the same names!

A search will bring up about a dozen different reds called Rosso Corsa.

Rosso Cina fortunately doesn't appear again until about 25 years after the 250 GTO's and the codes I have are:

These are all Ferrari codes which don't translate into 'modern' codes.

...Or if they do, Ferrari are keeping schtuum about it.

A further search led me to a forum/website of fanatical 250 GTO replica builders.

They have clearly researched this colour a lot and it transpires that Fiat Rosso Farina - 71290 (the older colour) is about as close as makes no odds.

So - from that, a call to Halfords to see about getting a can colour matched.

The guy entered the code into his paint comp, and lo and behold...

Up came Mini Chilli red...

I can buy it off the shelf.

For those interested, Rosso Corsa matches with Mazda Classic red.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

AMAZING info... Thanks a million for that research. Typical Ferrari...

as of now for my Fiat M. i was going for the vintage Ferrari colour of Gravity and the tests i did were quite nice and conclusive. Agnelli had it painted Red in the early 60's ...

BUT, now i am itching to test the Haltford's Mini Hot Chilli Red Hot Peppers Pimente Red Bhut Jolokia Naga Viper Carolina Reaper etc colour. :pirate::mg::jump_fire:

as well.

Not really much to show at the moment as it's been a time of primer - wet sanding - primer - wet sanding etc etc...

The parts now have a first coat of red primer and it's back to the sanding - paint - sanding - paint...

A few more coats of primer and then it's on to the body colour.

Roy.

P1011961_zpscjyiwmyy.jpg

Already without the top coat that looks very nice. I can imagine one of the younger more extravagant owners of this cars painting it in a matte colours just because it's different.

Shaun

Funny you should say that Shaun...

There's a young 'Gary-boy' in the local area who has an old Subaru.

He clearly fancied a matt black 'wrap', so did it himself with a box full of spray cans...

I'm not even sure he knew what masking tape was.

You can no doubt imagine, but he thinks it's the bogs dollocks.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

side note, follow up on the cutting matt : i can see you have removed the wrapper from the cutting matt :popcorn:

kidding you...

coming to shape nicely, looks very smooth...

Edited by sharknose156

... Yup - cutting mat covering finally fell apart.

I'm going to make a concerted effort not to cover this one in paint/glue/gunge/Marmite etc.....

Again, not much to see.

I was up bright and early this morning (well, for me anyway...) as I've got a lot to do today.

1st gig tonight with a new trio so I'm running through 'Set fire to the rain' by Adele.

Simple enough song, except I'm singing it!

VERY high register but I'm pretty pleased how it sounds even though yesterday is the first time I've done it, and the trio are 'winging it' tonight.

Anyway - the car...

I've wet sanded again this morning.

3 red primer coats in all and an overnight sleep in the little boiler room which is always warm as toast. (The car, not me)

A first dusting of chilli red into the nooks and crannies and areas that are difficult to cover evenly.

The red looks quite dark at present but it's only a thin coat so far and the primer is still showing through.

Another fine sanding and then a bit more paint later on.

Back to Adele...

Roy.

P1011962_zps5zoaxs4a.jpg

P1011963_zpsrxcrk3st.jpg

Looking great and not a fan of Adele personally but my other half loves her.

That red in the last picture is very close to the red the ferrari f1 team used in 2007/8

Good luck with your new band and I look forward to seeing this big beast in it finished colour some point soon

Shaun

Thanks Shaun.

The gig went great.

We 'winged' a comedy version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

It brought the house down. Really chuffed as we only put it together 5 hours before the gig!

The car - now has a first coat of all-over red.

More sanding, paint etc this weekend.

Roy.

P1011973_zpst1tbvfcx.jpg

P1011972_zpsw5nqsgfs.jpg

P1011978_zps08ijtj6u.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful...This red is coming out looking like the real deal.

I am already seeing the distinctive yellow markings on the right and the no. 22. :popcorn: the color is looking perfect on my browser.

is this is spray can or decanting ?

ps: Was sure your band was a 'performer' and it would be a big success.

Edited by sharknose156

Looking great roy that colour looks bang on, compared to my little protar one (and I mean really little compared to this) which I painted in the pre 2004 f1 red this looks to be a much more suitable shade of red.

Shaun

Thanks you guys.

Yes, it's all rattle-can - as is almost everything I do.

Just to add a bit of a hiccup - I'm contemplating the Stirling Moss car now.

2 'gills' and light green......

...and Mr S - we've had a lot of feedback over our 'cover' of Bohemian Rhapsody.....

Apparently the club members were all nattering about it today so we're quite chuffed.

Roy.

Todays escapade...

I've started making up some of the interior body panels using 80 thou sheet plastic.

Lots of card templates first...

The parts were sprayed satin black and then epoxied in.

When dry, the ply floor was removed and the pattern drawn on to cut it as per the car.

The ply was painted black and screwed back in - for now...

Once finished, the ply will barely be visible so I'm not concerned about the grain showing.

I'm holding back on further coats of red as the car/colour scheme might change...

Roy.

P1011979_zpscmyq577e.jpg

P1011980_zpshqtsnmwy.jpg

P1011981_zpsgmhz1kn0.jpg

P1011982_zpspphhgo98.jpg

P1011985_zpsrj6knw86.jpg

P1011986_zps9pbhxmzv.jpg

P1011984_zpsrl8ynnuo.jpg

• Like 1

yes i second that, no. 15 pistacho lime ice cream suddenly?... a left hand drive Ferrari ? really ?

respect to Striling Craufurd and his incredible talent but this car was also bad luck period for him... the red one has more hair where it matters... sorry Roy, got carried away...

Know what you both mean.

Red is 'De-rigueur'...

However, an 'interested party' who has a close connection with a particular 250GTO has enquired if a colour change is possible.

I'm awaiting confirmation of intent etc...

In the meantime, I'm starting on the floor/chassis/rear inner body.

Roy.

A bit of head scratching went on for this part.

The rear inner wheel arches.

Careful measuring etc told me I needed smooth inner arches with a 12cm dia, flat 'faces' and arch width of 42mm, but with a radiused edge...

How to scratch that without a lot of aggro.

Glance at a pile of bits near my 'puter - CD 'cake' boxes.
The clear lid is exactly 12cm dia, with a radiused edge.

After some cutting and fiddling, filling the recessed face and some primer and paint, inner arches.

They're only trial fitted at the mo but again, careful measuring and checking, and they are just the right size.

Problem solved.

Moral?

Look at stuff already to hand before spending an age making something.

Roy.

P1011987_zpsayv16rzy.jpg

P1011989_zpsuzy3jaqm.jpg

P1011991_zpsopr7mxdn.jpg

P1011990_zpsp24d3kis.jpg

P1011992_zpsuuowcdcz.jpg

P1011993_zpsorsizqy6.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Love the ingenuity og the cd cases to solve the problem, my other half always says to me if there is anything in the house that I think will help with my hobbies then I normally find a way to use it, like kids toys and board game a lot of the little bits that they come with I normally pinch once they no longer care for the toy/game anymore.

Shaun