Ferrari 250 GTO 1/8 scratch build

Many thanks folks.

The scoop is oval but yes, it looks more 'round' in the pics.

The ride height was measured and scaled from actual plans of the car.

I think it is lower in the race picture due to air downforce at speed, and even if the car was braking for a corner.

Also, my model isn't actually 'sitting' on the wheels any longer due to the support blocks underneath.

The model is now increadibly heavy and over time I suspect the suspension parts would sag quite a bit.

Don't want to risk that.

Pics of the car at rest do show a fair ride height though.

Front recessed lights on the go at the minute.

Roy.

Dazzling work.

will you make a book or CD on this piece of art ?

stupid question: how do you make the frames dials of the speedometer and fuel gauge and RPM so neat and size precise from scratch ?

Edited by sharknose156

Kind words again from you guys.

It really is appreciated.

The frames around the large dials (bezels) are made from wire and formed by hand.

It is a bit of a pain trying to get a neat circle whilst continually cutting fragments out to get the correct diameter.

The bezel is then glued on with dots of cyano.

The smaller gauge bezels are thin slices cut from plastic tube of the right diameter.

I run a sharp blade around the end of the tube before cutting each slice off, so that the bezel has an inner angle - it doesn't show in the pictures and hardly shows anyway so it's one of those rather pointless details. All fun though.

That aside ...

SHE'S FINISHED !

I'll post it in the completed area tomorrow, so I can get some daylight shots outside.

Many thanks to all those who followed.

On with the C Type Jaguar now, and I'll be into the Lister in a while but holiday time is beckoning...

A few other ideas on the back burner.

Roy.

P1012393_zps0lnc8bi0.jpg

P1012395_zpsfnb1x4hn.jpg

P1012399_zpsmsvkdpnt.jpg

P1012400_zpspx3gkht4.jpg

P1012402_zpsqcpzdve0.jpg

...and the best bit...

P1012403_zpsnneo1jjs.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Roy, if only in my dreams I had your talent. I can say without fear of contradiction you are a master of your art. I don't know what else to say, superlative work, as always.

Thank you very much for the explanation on the dials.

FABULOUS WORK !!! incredible scratch build and a lesson in modeling !!!

i hope the guys in Maranello take notice

The GTO has turned out really nice Roy. I do like the flatted tyres. Not something you see done very often but it adds so much to the 'sit' of a model vehicle.

Looking forward to the RFI pics.

P.S. The extra air scoop is a great example of camera angles skewing reality. It looks perfect in the last set of pics.

Atb, Steve.

Great car, Roy. Thanks for sharing this build with us. I probably will never be able to come close to what you are creating (and how you are creating it), but it is really enjoyable to see how you get this done.

Edited by Pouln

Great to see the finished model.

It was indeed the pictures that made the ride height and air scoop look a bit off.

Incredible work Roy.