1/1000 uss reliant and aztecing.

Hi chaps.

I've just purchased the polar lights uss reliant, in 1/1000, from the wrath of khan.

It looks like a nice little kit, and the reviews seem favourable. On deeper investigation it seems that there are some issues with the kit decals.

I noticed on the box that round 2/polar lights released a set of aztec decals to compliment the kit, and I fancy giving them a go, as I don't think I'm up to masking and painting them. Trouble us I'm having problems tracking some down.

Does anyone know of a uk supplier for them? I see that amerang are the uk importers, but they are trade only.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Hi Matt the boat has long sailed on these, the only source is ebay these days, heres a link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polar-Lights-PLL-1-1000-Star-Trek-USS-Reliant-Decal-Set-PLLMKA012-MKA012-/391368072657?hash=item5b1f5addd1:g:BQoAAOSwrklVEF2v

Hope this helps,

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks chris for the link. The price seems good, but the postage seens a bit steep. I mean, they only need to drop them in an envelope.

I've found a few companies in the us that list them, but again, the shipping is steep. I've had quotes from $15 to a stupidly large $55! Just to ship decals.

Amerang list them on their website, so I'll pop to my lhs tomorrow, as they deal with them.

Shees, all this just for some decals.

Mind you the decal sheet is quite large as the outer packaging is at 22cm wide by 35cm long and roughly 10mm thick. The postage isn't cheap and that you wouldn't want the seller to put this decal sheet in a smaller envelope. And the two decal sheets are 21cm by 29cm.

Edited by Mick4350
  • Like 1

I find it astounding that Round 2 not only did not include the essential decals with the kit, but then discontinued producing the decals while still selling the kit. Word was they were trying to keep the cost low for the kit but I don't think it raised the price too much considering what the Refit sells for which includes decals IIRC

I just went through their site and the only Reliant decals available are for the 1/537 edition.

• Like 1

One option I've considered is to download the aztec pattern that Carlos Zangrando created for the 537th scale kit and resize them for the 1000th scale Polar lights kit.
There are a number of other patterns for other kits as well here: Click

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros
  • Like 1

I find it astounding that Round 2 not only did not include the essential decals with the kit, but then discontinued producing the decals while still selling the kit. Word was they were trying to keep the cost low for the kit but I don't think it raised the price too much considering what the Refit sells for which includes decals IIRC

I just went through their site and the only Reliant decals available are for the 1/537 edition.

I did read that round 2 made some mistakes on the aztec decal sets, including out of register and undersize decals. There has been much moaning about them on the web. Saying that, they are the only game in town, for pre printed aztec decals.

Stu

I did see the downloadable set for the larger reliant, and must admit I never thought about resizing them.

Edited by S5 modeller

You could try Starship Modeler out the USA as they have a single set available for $23.95 and $13.00 postage to the UK.

That's where I bought mine in the end, I never found anyone in the UK who did them.

I can understand why they stopped putting them with the kits, they will make the kit more expensive and not everyone will want to use them. I certainly don't like paying more for a kit that has a large proportion of parts I won't use.

Stuart

That's where I bought mine in the end, I never found anyone in the UK who did them.

I can understand why they stopped putting them with the kits, they will make the kit more expensive and not everyone will want to use them. I certainly don't like paying more for a kit that has a large proportion of parts I won't use.

Stuart

I read that people complained when they were included with the large refit enterprise, as it pushed the price of the kit up, but they moaned when they stopped supplying them. Seems there was no pleasing some people. It also seems stupid to discontinue the decals and and still sell the kit, unless they stopped production due to the reported inaccuracies.

Think I will search them out on starship modeler.

Problem with movie era Trek kits is that that stupid Aztecing is so important to the right look of the ship. If you want to make a Reliant look like the Reliant you have to do something, either wallpaper decals or a lot of masking (which is problematic on the smaller kits).

• Like 1