Merit 1/24 SE5a

All,

Just completed this kit yesterday evening.

A fair bit of added (basic) detaining comprising of:

Knocking up rudder bar;
Cocking lever for Vickers gun;
Seat cushion and headrest made from Milliput;
Seat belt/harness;
Rigging cockpit;
Opening up all inspection windows, vents, wheel/tyre valve opening, Lewis gun muzzle and Vickers air cooling jacket;
Correcting Lewis gun drum magazine;
Adding aileron control horns;
Adding radiator cap and pitot tube on starboard interplane strut and dummy engine underside.

Rigging is supplied in the kit in the form of PE set - but only used the rudder control horns and wires. A nice idea but I could not see how you could apply these to the model without bending or distorting them as they are very thin. I therefore rigged with 4 lb fishing line instead which has given model a bit of structural strength. The model when complete is pretty heavy - I managed to break both wheel axles whilst handling and rigging. I therefore repaired these using some metal wire which has made the wheel nice and solid now.

I know this kit has been heavily criticised for incorrect detail - but all and all a very, very nice kit that fits together extremely well and you end up with a lovely large scale model. Basically, Merit have simplified the kit to make (I presume) for an easier build. This kit would be a great project for those of you that enjoy super detailing work. I highly recommend this particular kit.

To give you an idea of size, one picture taken with WNW's version of this aircraft for comparison.

I know this kit has shortcomings in terms of overall accuracy, so politely request feedback on quality of build only please.

Regards

Dave

001_zpsrarraljm.jpg

002_zpsk714ac97.jpg

003_zpsgpdny0so.jpg

005_zps4oebotci.jpg

006_zps0ty1atjr.jpg

007_zps8rz72sq3.jpg

008_zpsnrnf4zep.jpg

009_zpsrk4psppj.jpg

011_zps3jevzo7k.jpg

012_zpsl0twda4d.jpg

013_zpsdhnrmbpj.jpg

014_zpsvbrfndbp.jpg

016_zpskktfdhov.jpg

017_zpscq8jea1u.jpg

018_zpsd5ffoy2e.jpg

• Like 36

Excellent, those are lovely and I rather like the SE5, personally I'm not sure about the 4 blade prop and that's probably because most models and pictures I see are fitted with the 2 blade prop. This is the first time I have seen a cord running from the Lewis gun into the cockpit, I didn't really consider how the gun was fired before seeing this.

Great work, I really like them.

Mmmmm..... nice one, Dave. The rigging is particularly effective with the turnbuckles and all, and the wood effect on the prop and elsewhere is just right.

Photograph that from a low angle against a real outdoor background instead of a conservatory window, and I doubt you'd be able to tell it was a model.

Good stuff,

Dean

Thank you all kindly, folks

This a really nice kit to put together although rigging took about five days to complete. Wood effect created using artist oils drawn out over base coat Matt ochre using coarse brush.

Entire model was brush painted.

Regards

Dave

• 10 months later...

Hello Epeeman

I have been a member of Britmodeller for a whole 6 hours and would love to know which paint you used for the Merit Se5a. I have tried this kit and made a hash of it. I am a bit rusty with bi-planes and I think I got the inner struts (cabane ?) the wrong way round and that screwed up the rake of the upper wing. Was the parts numbering one of the kit errors or was it me ? I think fishing line is also better for rigging than those flimsy bits of photo-etch that they supplied. Another SE5a is on it's way,a bit etravagant perhaps but I hate to be beaten.

Thanks

Alvin

How did I miss this first time round, almost a year ago!

Glad I've caught up with it now Dave, you've done a stunning job there. Like Alvin above, I'd like to know what paint you used, particularly for the PC.10 upper colour, it looks right on the money.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alvin said:

Hello Epeeman

I have been a member of Britmodeller for a whole 6 hours and would love to know which paint you used for the Merit Se5a. I have tried this kit and made a hash of it. I am a bit rusty with bi-planes and I think I got the inner struts (cabane ?) the wrong way round and that screwed up the rake of the upper wing. Was the parts numbering one of the kit errors or was it me ? I think fishing line is also better for rigging than those flimsy bits of photo-etch that they supplied. Another SE5a is on it's way,a bit etravagant perhaps but I hate to be beaten.

Thanks

Alvin

Yeah

I too would like to know the paint colours you used as I intend to build my 48th version to commemorate an anniversary this coming May time.

A cracking build which I shall use as a guide for my own build.

Many thanks for sharing.

Ian

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alvin said:

Hello Epeeman

Thanks

Alvin

Hello, Alvin -

Thank you for your kind words.   Regarding the cabane struts - I cannot now recall exactly but I am sure I followed the part call outs for these stuts.   From what I remember the parts are made such as they slot into the correct angle on the nose.   I always glue the cabane struts first on biplanes and ensure they align with the matting holes on the underside of the top wing.  

The paint I use (I brush paint) are Revell 'aqua colours'.  I mixed my own colour using mostly nato olive 46 then mixed in  leather brown in until I was happy with the colour shade - not very scientific I'm afraid!

By all means use the PE rigging but I think fishing line (3lb line I think for this one) is better and it will add a great deal of structural strength to the model wings once done.  Just very tedious drilling all the holes needed!!

Sorry to hear your first build did not work out so wish you luck on your second attempt - please feel free to drop me a PM for any advice if needed.

Regards

Dave

PS - John, Ian and Scimitar - thank you also

That is a cracker Dave - the smaller one isn't bad either. Thanks too for the PC 10 recipe - sounds about as scientific as the original! But having seen this I know how effective it really is. Will try it on my next RFC build.

P

• Like 1

Many Thanks Epeeman

I think I have got a bit rusty with biplanes as the SE5a was the first one I have attempted since the big Trumpeter Swordfish which did turn out ok.

Incidentally I tried both fencing and archery about 15 years ago and the archery won although nowadays I am very much a leisure archer with other hobbies more to the fore.

Many Thanks again

Alvin

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi to you Epeeman. You gave me helpful advice on My Se5a which is at last finished.As a point of interest I used a 2:1 mix of Tamiya Olive Drab with Flat brown. Apparently this is recommended by Wingnut Wings the WW1 gurus and gives a more convincing finish than Xtracolour's RFC green

Cheers

Alvin

• Like 1

That's a stunning looking SE5a.  Instead of looking like a 40 year old kit it looks like something Wingnut would be proud of today. 

• Like 1

Thanks, chaps -

Alvin - no problem!   Look forward to seeing your SEa.

Meatbox - very kind of you to say!

Regards

Dave

Wow this looks lovely, what great work and an impressive size (ooer) sitting next to the again lovely WNW example. I would love one of the manufacturers to do a 1/24th Tigermoth one day.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1