So, a giant box arrived on my doorstep yesterday.

12063671_1731674007117430_10267190685186

Though it says B-17G it's something a tad bit different.

12039755_1731678970450267_23705982928716

This is my test shot copy of HK's forthcoming B-17F. I'll be building this one for an upcoming Model Aircraft article. I'll also be running the first WIP of sorts of this kit here for you. Though I can't show everything what I will do is highlight some of the features of the new kit as well as share some intermediary pics of progress here and there.

I'm currently wrapping up the Dornier Do335A kit, and will be moving into this one throwing the full Eduard assortment at it (using as much of the G stuff that is common as possible). Please stay tuned!

Many thanks to Neil Yan and HK Models and James Hatch and Large Scale Modeller for making this one possible!

• Like 3

Can't wait for this... having built two of the G version I fear two more will be coming my way in the form of the F and the E.

Don't forget US Interior Green was never used on the B-17 - a very common mistake that many make. You may not need it, but I have lots of info on the interior colours if you want it - just ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Really looking forward to this WIP...

Tom

• Like 1

Can't wait for this... having built two of the G version I fear two more will be coming my way in the form of the F and the E.

Don't forget US Interior Green was never used on the B-17 - a very common mistake that many make. You may not need it, but I have lots of info on the interior colours if you want it - just ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Tom

Tom, thanks. I'm fully aware of this. One point of confusion is aft of the bomb bay. I know they sometimes the fuselage interior was painted and sometimes not. I'm not sure of how to determine the specifics of a particular air frame. I'll be doing Memphis Belle. Any insight?

Radio room and rear fuselage all natural metal on the 'Belle', along with the nose and bomb bay.

Only painted area is the flight deck which is dull dark green with olive green padding on the sidewalls.

If you need any further info just shout.

Tom

So, I've seen Belle a few times when she was still in Memphis, and I've got my own photos somewhere, but also there are pics all over the internet showing a full green interior. I'm assuming it was painted some point after it's tour and before going on display in Memphis and eventually to restoration?

PortFrontQtr_zps7tuh5anl.jpg

• Like 2

The restoration pictured above was less than accurately done (back in the 1980s I believe) and the USAF museum has had a lot of work on its hands returning it to wartime spec.

I visited the restoration centre in 2012 and the whole airframe has been stripped of the inaccurate interior green and it has been returned to the natural metal interior as it would have been in its war service.

If you can get hold of the William Wyler documentary on the Memphis Belle released in 1944, (there's copies available on you tube etc.) you'll see the majority of the interior is aluminium as all wartime B-17s were. Only the flight deck area was painted dark dull green. Most of the original sound proofing padding was stripped out of the nose and radio room, revealing the bare aluminium beneath.

Yeah, I figured that color was not correct. I wasn't sure if any bits beyond the flight deck were painted in war time or not. I've been on a couple of resto forts and seen both bare metal and the DDG. Thanks kindly for the info! You certainly have changed direction for me because I was looking to do the nose in green and everything aft of the flight deck in metal. Thanks!

I'd seen Wyler's film as a kid, but I was looking to track it down for a fresh look. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Tom

Sorry to butt in with an OT question.

Hey Tom. I've just gotten hold of the B-17G kit from HK (I'd rather have had the G so I can model the Sally-B) do you know what colours Sally-B is using on her interior at the moment? I'm going to replicate her as she is now (I know I have the Cheyenne tail rather than Stinger) with half Sally-B and half Belle.