This is the end my friend

junglierating

Just been privileged to attend the decommissioning ceremony of 848 NAS and with it the final official flypast of the mighty king.

Touch sadness but feel proud that i served with a great bunch of lads on what could be a big green pig.But she always did the business when required.

It's successor has big shoes to fill.

Last flight next week of 3 aircraft to Vector for disposal.I won't be supprised if there are 3 A/c with 3 main chip captions refusing to lift.

Fear god honour the king

• Like 1

I joined the Junglie circuit in 1986 with 707 and 846 Sqn, only did a short stint on them before transfering to the Sea Harrier, but have a lot of fond memories of working on the mighty King. Did my first bit of sea time with 846 on HMS Intrepid, now both going/gone from service.

I joined the Junglie circuit in 1986 with 707 and 846 Sqn, only did a short stint on them before transfering to the Sea Harrier, but have a lot of fond memories of working on the mighty King. Did my first bit of sea time with 846 on HMS Intrepid, now both going/gone from service.

SNAP! Although I didn't join the squadron or ship until 1990, then saw the light and opted for the light grey King. Many years of enjoyment working on that although there were also many hours of pain and frustration!

Bob

Fond memories of the SK of all marks:

• In service before I joined, retiring 11 years after I left. Good going!
  • All marks - Vertrep for mail always welcome :-).
  • Junglie - rapid roping training before Gulf deployment when boarding party, what a rush! The Lynx seemed to wobble more as I went for the rope. No comment on the pilots skills for the Lynx just the fact the SK could absorb a knacker like me exiting rapidly and not have its CoG thrown out completely. :whistle:
  • A Junglie took me on the first part of my journey home when I was taken off for compassionate reasons off the North of Scotland.
  • SKW - Always a nice feeling knowing we had our organic 'Magic' on task when out on AAW picket on a 42.
  • ASW - Sharing the love with our submerged brethren at a suitable distance from the convoy or HVU
  • SAR bird - Somewhere out in the Western approaches in foul weather that was almost within limits (almost being close enough in this case) doing a HIFR with a RN rescue bird on its way to a Yacht in distress. Trying to top it off so it stood a chance of getting home again. Respect!

Hopefully when the Merlin comes to retire there will be some sad old Matelot sad to see its passing in the same manner.