Another yellow Tiger Moth...

Hello dears

Well, many (four) coats of the yellow sandy water later, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Nothing I did seemed to make it any more 'paint like', and the more I tried, the more it got clogged.

So. All ready to start the coming together.

DSCF3585%20copy_zpsxpjx8juq.jpg

After struggling to get the decals to fit on the walkway sections of the lower wing, I opted for the black paint. This is a WAY better consistency, and one coat covered the yellow

I fitted the windscreens now, rather than after the upper wing as the instructions suggest, as they looked fiddly enough without being awkward to get to.

Also fitted the nose and tail. Still needs touching up with the yellow in places. Could I have mixed in some PVA glue to make it stick to the plastic? Resin W?

DSCF3590%20copy_zpsjinlwptp.jpg

The top wing was a complete surprise to fit!

The lugs located first try on the dry run, and were solid within minutes of being glued.

Here you can see the prototype anti-radar pebble-dash paint finish...

DSCF3595%20copy_zpsssft1sgz.jpg

So to the outer wing struts. I cut them from the central sprue with a certain amount of trepidation.

Fortunately none were sacrificed.

They all seemed ever so slightly short, so once I had them all in position I left them like this...

DSCF3596%20copy_zpslg5trpop.jpg

And that's where I am at the moment.

Don't want to press on tonight, just in case everything goes ddooooooiiiiiinnnngggggggg..... and scatters to the four corners of the Earth.

There's something about an odd yellow paint against a light wood background, lit by an energy saving bulb, that my camera doesn't get on with.

I'll try for natural light shots, but as I'm away working from tomorrow morning through to Monday night, I might not get a chance to finish before the deadline.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi all!

Got back late Sunday night (after the deadline TBH, but figured I might try to sneak it in finished before anyone noticed on Monday morning), so got on with the next job, undercarriage struts.

DSCF3598%20copy_zpsdacihjnv.jpg

Oh dear me, I suddenly got very tired and emotional, and had to admit it wouldn't be completed for the GB.

Hope you don't mind I continued to build?

Landing gear repaired and fitted

DSCF3599%20copy_zpsgfftetw4.jpg

and all done.

DSCF3610%20copy_zpstuj7mll3.jpg

DSCF3611%20copy_zpsfkpjwgpx.jpg

DSCF3612%20copy_zpsfithjmb8.jpg

DSCF3615%20copy_zps0glbg4om.jpg

Overall I'm impressed by the quality of the plastic, the fit and the detail.

I'm unimpressed by that yellow 'paint'.

As a side thought, this being a Starter Set would indicate it was targeted towards people who weren't experienced modellers. There are delicate parts that are difficult to remove cleanly without breakage, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of these kits never made it to the paint stage anyway through loss or frustration. Not an ideal introduction for a young novice.

Anyhoo, for me, a very (mostly) enjoyable refresher.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and support.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Nice work! I found this a pretty tricky kit - the combination of almost-but-not-quite fit and the small size made for a bit of messing around. I had the same issue with the lower wing, but I must've been lucky with the sprue attachment points as they weren't too bad.

Will

• Like 1

It builds into a cracking little plane doesn't it? Really captures the look of the real thing. The old moulding looked a bit toy like, whereas this one really does look like a proper model. When I saw your hand in one photograph it made me realise how tiny this little biplane really is.

I have an AZ Models one in the stash. I'm not sure how well it compares to the Airfix but it will stay in the stash for a while until I'm brave enough to try a biplane!

The decals have gone on well.

Well done; great WIP and lovely result.

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

You can't keep building after the GB ends! Unfinished GB entries must be committed to ze shelf of doom instantly. ZHERE VILL BE NO BUILDINK AFTER ZE LGHTS OUT!

Kidding, of course. Looks lovely, and I'm encouraged to do both of mine.

• Like 1