Another yellow Tiger Moth...

Hi all

Been about thirty years since I last squirted glue in anger, so here goes.

Decided on the Tiger Moth because there's no camouflage to paint and no curved surfaces to fill.

Here's the box contents and what I shall be attacking it with. I've probably got some cocktail sticks somewhere too.

DSCF3418%20copy_zpsa1l4qanr.jpg

The box says it's a starter set, but the instructions say it's a gift set.

And as for the instructions, who decided it should be piloted by HM Queen and Steve Coogan...?

DSCF3419%20copy_zpsadtiuboo.jpg

Anyhoo, sprues are washed and drying, will make more of a start tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

So.

After a couple of hours after work, here we are.

The side walls, green with a wash of thin black...

DSCF3430%20copy_zpswb2izvkr.jpg

the seats with a couple of added seatbelts (instruction paper strips with a thin wash of yellow/black mix)...

DSCF3431%20copy_zpsvyne1m1j.jpg

and the decals applied to the instrument panels...

DSCF3432%20copy_zpslgyfirls.jpg

all ready to be shut together later.

DSCF3433%20copy_zpsdhlz0fay.jpg

Will see how it lines up tomorrow...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Hello all

Bit more done today, mixed results.

The body is together, but there's quite a seam along the top. Hope a bit of glue gloop filler does the trick

DSCF3437%20copy_zps7pu7g8ws.jpg

There's a small intake on the starboard side of the engine cowling that I've opened up with folded sandpaper

DSCF3439%20copy_zpsrkmsa8jf.jpg

DSCF3440%20copy_zpsoeojvzbl.jpg

Looking at the rest of the sprues, there's a chunk out of a trailing edge that needs some attention.

DSCF3441%20copy_zpsi6w3bfke.jpg

Will see what can be done.

Pesky plastic.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Looking good ProfSparks! Nice to see someone else attempt this one. It also appears you've ran into the same issues I did. I had that bit taken out of the wing and I had trouble closing the forward fuselage too. I just dabbed the glue in and held it shut for a while. Watch out for the yellow paint it's very grainy.

look forward to seeing more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Hi all

My next installment will be somewhat delayed as I've been called away to work for a week or so.

Unfortunately I can't take it with me, but gives me plenty time to dwell on gaps, notches and grainy paint.

See you soon!

Cheers

Steve

Re the notch - may I suggest cutting the little runner bit away from the main frame, gluing the notch-filling bit back in, then cutting and trimming to suit? It looks like it'll fill the gap nicely.

Of course, I may be full of it.

Nice work so far, although I must wonder if perhaps you're a closet Chumbawamba fan - the legless HRH made me think of a line in one of their songs. ;)

• Like 1

Re the notch - may I suggest cutting the little runner bit away from the main frame, gluing the notch-filling bit back in, then cutting and trimming to suit? It looks like it'll fill the gap nicely.

Of course, I may be full of it.

Nice work so far, although I must wonder if perhaps you're a closet Chumbawamba fan - the legless HRH made me think of a line in one of their songs. ;)

Chop it off with a bit of sprue, glue it in and trim the extra sprue off would have been my serious suggestion :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

Back again!

Plugged up the wing edge using the snapped off bit with some sprue and trimmed it back, seemed to be the recommended route

DSCF3573%20copy_zpsirqtyiug.jpg

Will see how obvious it is under the blanket of paint...

Next up, the lower wing.

This fits into a recess on the bottom, and although is flush at the front, the rear is quite proud

DSCF3575%20copy_zps07rvk75s.jpg

I decided to remove the locating lugs

DSCF3576%20copy_zpssxuxd7hi.jpg

and trim the side walls

DSCF3577%20copy_zpswrxzubic.jpg

to see what would happen.

This did

DSCF3578%20copy_zpsr21mcihe.jpg

result!

Now to the top wing.

The bottom of the fuel tank on the upper wing has to be positioned so that the supporting struts locate along each side of it

DSCF3581%20copy_zpsmtlypimo.jpg

I'll just remove the struts so I can glue the tank in with the correct spacing.

The struts are quite thin, and are quite ensconced on their sprue

DSCF3579%20copy_zpsqsvlopcp.jpg

will have to be extra careful when cutting them free

DSCF3580%20copy_zpsoeewrv6q.jpg

AR$E

At least the section was retrieved swiftly from the carpet monster.

So. What to do?

Shall I glue the section back in while the struts are still on the sprue, risking a repeat fracture when the time comes to remove them, but at least they'll be the correct shape?

Can I remove the single strut length and replace it with stretched sprue?

Shall I allocate a 'Shelf Of Doom' and go shopping for a Vampire...?

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

although I didn't bother posting the image at the time, this is the aerial mast from my Mustang....

008_zpsgem5jmub.jpg

....in the end I couldn't be bothered even trying to clean it up

Makes you wonder if they put the QC rejects into Starter Set boxes?

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I've just read your whole WIP. To say you've been away from building for so long, you're doing a grand job. :goodjob:
Regarding the cabane struts: glue the broken bit back then the best way here is to use a micro saw to gently remove the parts. I got a cheap Trumpeter set (orange plastic handles...forcandles...yes there were four...). There was a 'Two Ronnies' reference in there, couldn't help it... :fool:

Let the saw do the work, don't apply any pressure.

There are many brands of the micro saws, you will need one with fine teeth. Some are just photo-etch blades that can be fitted in your craft knife handle.
Trust me, once you have one or two of these, the days of broken fine parts due to difficult sprue location will be gone.

That yellow paint will probably need thinning a little, but not so much that it won't 'key'. It can be quite lumpy and doesn't cover very well without a coat of white beneath, but can be forced to do the job.

Really good idea to re-wash the kit in water and a little detergent before you paint it with the yellow acrylic paint, as the paint can be quite fussy on fingerprint deposits etc.. I've seen others get good results with it. It seems to be just a matter of a few thin coats and a little thinning.

Apparently an extremely tiny amount of washing up liquid in the water used for thinning can make it key much more effectively. I have only had this work for paint number 86 - but think it should work for the yellow too.

All best regards
Tony

• Like 1

Hello all

Well, after all the encouragement from you guys, I decided to soldier on with this build and see what could be salvaged.

I cut the struts from the sprue, and glued the piece back in.

DSCF3582%20copy_zpst4u9wtdn.jpg

I'm hoping it will be strong enough to withstand my bumbling attempts to trim the flash.

Now to remove the other piece.

Careful now...

DSCF3583%20copy_zpsw5glojdi.jpg

AR$E

I may go back to my Lego and sulk.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Stiff upper lip Steve. It's only a strut. I have to say they aren't very nicely attached to the sprue, plain daft to be honest. It can be recovered, it just will take patience.

A very nice Tiger Moth will be the result.

Well done for keeping going. :)

All best regards

Tony

Right.

Got the blighters glued back into position, welded them to the wing, and am now leaving them alone for the glue to set.

DSCF3584%20copy_zpsfxqvz4i1.jpg

Let's leave this to consolidate, and if anything disturbs this, there'll be a crying match.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Evenin' all

Those strut repairs seem to be holding up to gravity so far, time for the next step.

That yellow paint.

Thinned it a tiny bit, added a wee drop of Fairy (Lemon, natch), and set about it this morning.

Looks and feels like yellow milk mixed with sand?

I gave it a rub over with a piece of old T-shirt, just to take the edge off, before putting the second coat on this evening.

Had the same effect as dry brushing, as it completely removed all the paint from the raised detail.

Hoping the second layer will cover better.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, when I did my Spitfire, I found that trying too hard to spread the paint around gave it those sandy lumps. No evidence, but I feel that it's part drying during that process. Some colours seem to be particularly prone to it (haven't tried the yellow). I ended up using small amounts on the brush and dipping it more often in an attempt to keep the paint edge wet, as well as washing the brush out regularly then drying it before continuing.

HTH.

• Like 1