Downwind Gillan's 111 sqn Hurricane Mk I.

stevehnz

Something I've wanted to do ever since this kit came out.

DSCF2650.jpg

The obligatory starter shot, Profile Publication showing the scheme I'll use, thanks to Tony O'toole, I've confirmed near enough that it is correct, a maybe ? over the exhausts but I think it might well have had the later ejector exhausts at this time. Freightdog 5 slot wheels & Modeldecal serials for the extra number & letter required.

DSCF2651.jpg

Some bits in place waiting for some paint, the cockpit bits are just sitting in the left fuselage half to hold them in the correct angle while the glue sets. After making one of these last year in Finnish colours, its a bit like an old friend to me now. :)

Steve.

• Like 4

Looking forward to this Steve,......I`ve just had a very close look at the photo that I sent to you showing L1555 being pushed back into the hangar at RAF Northolt following its record breaking flight and the exhausts certainly do look like the later style to me,.....ie not the original kidney shaped ones. There is no ventral strake around the tail wheel either,.....but you will have known that already.

Good luck with this one mate,

Cheers

Tony

PS- The kit doesn`t include the correct 5 spoke wheel hubs. I`ve used a set of Spitfire 5 spoke hub wheels on one kit and Freightdog here in the UK do a nice set of resin replacements but I`m not sure what the postage would be over to you. Are you just going to live with the kits 4 spoke wheels?

Edited by tonyot

I have some Freight dog ones Tony, I've already used a set on the Finnish one I did last year, one more for this, I can see me needing some more sometime, there's a few more of this I'd like to do yet. Thanks for your thoughts on the exhausts, in the echelon formation photo on Getty images, it may be my imagination but I reckon L1555s exhausts catch the light differently to the rest, the nearer ones anyway.

Steve

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been entirely idle, mainly but not entirely ;), cockpit finished & wings assembled to fuselage, with wingtip nav lights cut out & replaced by clear sprue with coloured "bulbs"

DSCF2654.jpg

I wonder who the numpty was that painted the underside before remembering about the nav lights. :unsure::)

DSCF2655.jpg

Now got the wing tip lights finished & underside painted after some necessary filling. This particular kit has quite a lot of sink marks compared to an earlier one I made. :( Good old Humbrol #11 on the underside, # 56 in the wheel wells.

DSCF2658.jpg

The next stage will be to rub the sides of the doghouse down so I can have an open cockpit & then get some topside camo on.

Steve.

• Like 3

Very nice Steve.

Have you been air or brush-painting the aluminium? It looks really neat.

Impressive!

JR

Time for an update, but first, thanks for the nice comments from Stew & Jean, the aluminium undersides are brushed on, I haven't graduated to airbrushing yet, as mentioned before its Hu 11, the tin of which is visible in the next shot with some more bits & pieces painted & some Dark Earth on the uppers.

DSCF2659.jpg

Its the silver topped tin just in front of the left wing tip, Humbrol Super Enamel, the Super in yellow script, from the late 1990s afaik. I got the first coat of Dark green camo on this afternoon, then realised I'd painted over an area I should have left brown on the rear edge of the left wing. :( so some tidying up to do there.

DSCF2660.jpg

I also got some more detail painting done so its getting there, a big push the next couple of days,should see it done I hope. It has to be, we're off to Christchurch for a few days on the 28th & that'll be my chance gone on this GB.

Steve.

• Like 1

Superb work with the brush Steve,nice to see some old school model making (how we all used to have to do it)!A great kit this one I think I,ve got about

three or four under my belt now must re-visit it again soon.

• Like 1

Last lap now, decals done this afternoon, oh but I did hate doing the serials with individual numbers from a Modeldecals sheet, actually two sheets as each one only had 2 5s of the right style to match the kit ones, I used the kit LI5 & was happy enough with the way it came out in the end but fiddly! Yeeuck. :(

I've done some more touching up & bit & pieces like the undercart on & drying overnight before putting on the U/C doors & wheels & giving the whole thing a coat of matt tomorrow, at which time it'll be called done.

DSCF2662.jpg

Steve.

• Like 4

Fine brush work. Looks airbrushed.

Amazing what digital photography can hide but thanks, something I've been working at getting better at, I aim to be able to emulate Tony O'toole one day, maybe :D

Steve.

• Like 1

All done now, the rest of the photos in the gallery.I really enjoyed this kit again, cross with self I didn't do a better job on the wing trailing edges, too much of a hurry at the time, doing it in this scheme fulfills a long held ambition & thats a nice feeling. Thanks for the support & to Doug & Neu for running it. :)

Steve.

Hi Steve,

congratulation on a superb Hurricane. Impressive brush painting skills, especially as the Hu11 is notoriously painful to brush paint (or am I the only one?).

I still have Hu11 tins from the 80s and the paint has not changed, so there is a lot to be said for good old British manufacturing!

See you in the gallery

JR