Airfix new tool Seaking HAR.3 - Sprue pics added 24/3

eng

Had an email invoice from Airfix today for my 2 new Seaking HAR.3's and on checking the Airfix site its now showing as a New Arrival!

No dispatch email just yet but hopefully Mr Postie will be bringing me a wee parcel in a day or 2 ;)

Eng

Edited by eng

image_zpsbafjxkcv.jpeg

Sssshhhh! Don't tell the wife there was 2 in the box.........must have been a mistake by Airfix ;)

Will post some pics tomorrow, very nice though

Eng

Edited by eng
  • Like 1

As promised some more pics, coverage of the kit was in the April 2016 issue of Airfix mag but you can't beat fondling the plastic yourself! The majority of the sprues are the same as the HC.4 release as shown below, 4 grey and the clear sprue are common to both kits. I haven't shown the clear sprue as I like to keep this safe in its wee bag until needed, but the parts are beautifully clear and crisply moulded with no visible flaws.

image_zpsuh8wgruq.jpeg

image_zps0mpdy4kq.jpeg

The difference becomes apparent with the next sprue which contains the appropriate HAR.3 parts, sponsons, nose section, radome and interior parts, again beautifully moulded just look at the storage rack that sits just aft of the crew door, very fine moulding indeed

image_zpspxc0jhjb.jpeg

I haven't taken a pic of the decal sheet on this one but the items for the sand filter are of a more accurate colour than those in the HC.4 kit. I'm personally hoping that someone on the aftermarket circuit will produce a nice resin replacement for this part of the kit. My only other point to note is that the only paint and marking guide is that on the back of the box. If you're desperately trying to cram a few of these beauties into an already overflowing stash (who, me!?) then you may want to whip those gift set paints and brushes out of the blister pack and cut that part of the box down a bit! There's no slide out tray part to the box so you've got an end opening box for storage I'm afraid.

image_zpszjnxklfj.jpeg

Verdict so far, well I'll be honest, I can't wait to get stuck into this kit, I've got a nice idea for a diorama that will take a bit of work and some trickery. Its just as exciting as having the HC.4 release and from my experiences with that build so far, the HAR.3 will be great fun too. It's nice to have this as a new tool and looks to be streaks ahead of the old Airfix release, go get some for the stash ;)

Eng

• Like 5

Meant to add in my last post that Airfix have either got plans to release another version of the Sea King or have just been smart enough to look at all variations of the HAR.3! The Sea King guru's will have spotted the RWR antenna (part 29) on the new sprue. This will allow the Dark Sea Grey versions that were based in the Falklands to be built from this release as well. Decals for this can be found on the Model Alliance sheet MA-72103 or the old ModelDecal sheet MD089.

I'm planning a 78 Sqn bird and a yellow 202 Sqn machine I think, probably won't be able to resist this for too long though!

Eng

A question on decals - which ones does the model set come with? I know the regular boxing has the Prince William option, is this in the model set, or some other?

This is the only HAR.3 boxing as yet, with the 70th anniversary scheme as painted on XZ596/L. Interestingly, it did not carry squadron markings.

Back to work tomorrow, no sign of even a dispatch notification from Hannants :(

ordered from Airfix here in two days. Parts 26,28,29 are fore & Arft RWR & Sat Nav aerials for falkland based aircraft which were in Golden Yellow in recent times & now replaced by Civvie coast guard aircraft shipped out from Newquay. The old style barndoor fod guard & five bladed tail rotor are there. As Airfix did the HAR5 & AEW2 just before deleteing the old kit ,I think we will see these on the new kit with revised body halves with corrected fuel points & deleted windows, to produce Royal Navy aircraft Regards Len

Edited by Grizzly
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update, eng.

I think I already know the answer to this question (being 'no'), but are the any parts for the FLIR unit which sits under the left sponson pylon (as seen in this image of ZE370 from the Airfix page on RAF Sea King retirement) on the new sprue 'G'?

Any suggestions if not?

Andrew.

• Like 1

Andrew, as you guessed correctly yourself there is no FLIR turret with this one, must admit I was quite surprised, I thought this had been a fairly standard fit on the HAR.3 towards the end.

Scope for a bit of scratchbuilding I think!

Rgds,

Eng

• 2 weeks later...

Since they have dipped their toes into the sponson (original...) versions, let's hope Airfix get on and release an HAS1,2,5 or 6. I get the marketing potential of William, and all that, but it still feels somewhat perverse to start off with the two marks of the aircraft that were least representative of its service...

• Like 2

Got to agree an original decent RN Sea King is long overdue, hopefully starting with a HAS1 that can be added to in order to get the HAS2, HAS5 and AEW2, rather than start with a current cab that's harder to backdate.

• Like 1

but it still feels somewhat perverse to start off with the two marks of the aircraft that were least representative of its service...

I think it depends on your perspective. A great many people will be more aware of yellow rescue helicopters as they featured on the news much more then pingers or junglies, particularly with HRH flying them. And -Cyber-Hobby aside- with the HC.4 being much less represented in kit form over the years to me it made more sense to kick off a Sea King kit range with one. And I say that as somebody who has lived all his life with pingers (first Sea King then Merlin) droning over his head every day.

• Like 1

I think it depends on your perspective. A great many people will be more aware of yellow rescue helicopters as they featured on the news much more then pingers or junglies, particularly with HRH flying them. And -Cyber-Hobby aside- with the HC.4 being much less represented in kit form over the years to me it made more sense to kick off a Sea King kit range with one. And I say that as somebody who has lived all his life with pingers (first Sea King then Merlin) droning over his head every day.

I disagree in that the MK4 is the one on the TV most and that will be the one Joe Public will be more familiar with.

Rodders

(Living at Yeovil 7 miles from Yeovilton)